Cowdenbeath 2018-2019

Do Cowden fans feel this season will be any better I think with Albion yous will certainly be safe but looking at your bench yesterday never seemed like anyone on it could've came on and helped get a goal back 

Kenny Milne who we had on loan from Hearts in the late 90's, pretty sure he ran with the ball from his own goal to the coo shed end and scored, beating half the opposition team en route. Think it was either against Berwick or Montrose.  Greg Stewart's Vs Dundee in 2-0 game at Central. As for own goals scored for us, last game of 90/91 season. an Alloa player scored a diving header from our corner, any striker would have been proud of it. 

1 hour ago, Hooper said:

Do Cowden fans feel this season will be any better I think with Albion yous will certainly be safe but looking at your bench yesterday never seemed like anyone on it could've came on and helped get a goal back 

A few thought we could challenge for top 4, but most just hope we can make 7th /8th. 

I think we could finish top half, outside chance of play off place. Goodwillie caused us all sorts of problems with his  movement yesterday, and we contributed to that by holding such a high defensive line, enabling him to get in behind our back four, but we won't be facing players as good as him every week. I really like Kris  Renton, but as soon as he was substituted we played much better working the ball through midfield and but for a couple of fine saves by Currie we could have got back into it. Given the last two seasons I 'm taking nothing for granted.

From what I seen yesterday I think your main issue is General lack of pace throughout the team. Something we suffered from for many a season recently.

The bigger park showed it up big time, which means you might pick up a decent home record, particularly of you keep up the aggressive style like yesterday ( that’s not a criticism BTW). Sheerin was just not capable of turning any possession he had as just could not cover the distance quick enough to get into threatening situations. Again might be different on smaller playing surface. 

59 minutes ago, iateallthepies said:

I think we could finish top half, outside chance of play off place. Goodwillie caused us all sorts of problems with his  movement yesterday, and we contributed to that by holding such a high defensive line, enabling him to get in behind our back four, but we won't be facing players as good as him every week. I really like Kris  Renton, but as soon as he was substituted we played much better working the ball through midfield and but for a couple of fine saves by Currie we could have got back into it. Given the last two seasons I 'm taking nothing for granted.

Does it look like Renton doesn't fit into the style of play?

1 hour ago, FREDDYFRY said:

From what I seen yesterday I think your main issue is General lack of pace throughout the team. Something we suffered from for many a season recently.

The bigger park showed it up big time, which means you might pick up a decent home record, particularly of you keep up the aggressive style like yesterday ( that’s not a criticism BTW). Sheerin was just not capable of turning any possession he had as just could not cover the distance quick enough to get into threatening situations. Again might be different on smaller playing surface. 

This is a good point.

Renton and Sheerin will do what they do each match but at any level you can’t have two strikers/forwards with their backs to goal for 90 minutes. Unless you have players willing to drive and take on defenders from the ball being held up by them or flick-ons it becomes easy to defend against in time. You will get joy from it occasionally but you will not win more matches than most in the league if that’s the one game plan.

Based purely on yesterday there’s quite a bit to be done before mid-table can be talked about for you in my opinion. Will be well away from relegation playoff spot at the same time.

7 minutes ago, Adolfo Rios said:

Renton and Sheerin will do what they do each match but at any level you can’t have two strikers/forwards with their backs to goal for 90 minutes. Unless you have players willing to drive and take on defenders from the ball being held up by them or flick-ons it becomes easy to defend against in time. You will get joy from it occasionally but you will not win more matches than most in the league if that’s the one game plan.

Based purely on yesterday there’s quite a bit to be done before mid-table can be talked about for you in my opinion. Will be well away from relegation playoff spot at the same time.

I’m not a fan of the pairing, but in their defence it may work better at home where the pitch is tighter.

I’m not a fan of the pairing, but in their defence it may work better at home where the pitch is tighter.

Yeah no denying that it could. For away matches like yesterday a wee change up top could help massively and be the difference that helps pick up a few extra points.

10 hours ago, Adolfo Rios said:

That's why we were so poor a few season's ago. All we did was lump the ball to Renton and nothing ever came of it. Sheerin can take the ball and drive through a defence. He is not as slow as he looks and he keeps the ball well. Also, we have a player who can drive from midfield in Swann. Just need to get the best fit.

Only first game of the season against in my opinion the winners of the league should they not lose Goodwillie. 2nd half we were excellent. Agreed renton going off helped us. He doesnt look match sharp yet big renton. I think the 2 of them can play together at cp and berwick away for example. When the two of them play together we have to push our defence up really high and get our midfield pushed on to play for territory it can work.

Boy made a good point about pace we have little of it apart from down the left side. Dont think there is any doubt Bollan will sign a young boy on loan for up top since muirhead now away.

Not too downbeat as clyde were just better than us but 2nd half showed that if we press them and keep the ball with good movement we can hurt them and other teams.

Saturday I would expect renton to be dropped and cox play up top or dropping in behind.

Hopefully talbot injury not too bad he is a huge player for us.. Any news on that?

3 hours ago, big al said:

Next 2 league games home to Annan then home to Berwick. Let’s see how these go, we need points on the board for confidence.

Realistically, we have to be winning both of these.