Cowdenbeath 2018-2019

17 minutes ago, ronaldincoo said:

So how's about the current vogue for 3 at the back:

McGurn

Pyper                                     Gilly                               Marsh           

Mullen                                                                         Scott                                                                      Swann

Miller                                                                          Malcolm

Cox

Renton

We would need an additional centre back and a utility full back. Looks alright to me. 

Keeper playing right back ??

1 hour ago, ronaldincoo said:

McGurn

Pyper                                     Gilly                               Marsh           

Mullen                                                                         Scott                                                                      Swann

Miller                                                                          Malcolm

Cox

Renton

We would need an additional centre back and a utility full back. Looks alright to me. 

My main issue with that team is there’s 8 of last seasons team in it.

remember we came along way from 2 nd bottom.

24 minutes ago, big al said:

No way can Mullen play right wing back either. He looked a solid right back since Bollan came in though.

From the recent interviews I've listened to on the Tell Him He's Pele podcast, players REALLY like working under Bollan but he absolutely kills them in pre-season. All about fitness. Can only be a good thing.

Yes but Gilfillan and Sheerin will now get a proper pre-season to enhance their fitness levels. Cox should also have overcome his injury problems. There was a lack of goals but Sheerin, Renton, Cox can help remedy that along with Robbie Buchanan who gained in confidence under the current management. Defensively we were reasonable. We also have looked to remedy the physicality issue and have added some experienced pros who will help the younger players in the squad as they develop further. Wholesale changes aren't that good an option usually - an incremental approach dealing with some of the weaker areas is more affordable and realistic

1 hour ago, The_Pit_Owns said:

No way can Mullen play right wing back either. He looked a solid right back since Bollan came in though.

From the recent interviews I've listened to on the Tell Him He's Pele podcast, players REALLY like working under Bollan but he absolutely kills them in pre-season. All about fitness. Can only be a good thing.

Has Beaky retired ? in any event Mullen doesn't necessarily have to get that far forward. He can deliver a ball from deeper. Cox can drift out wide on the right as and when. Swann can do the overlapping on the other side. 

Edited by ronaldincoo

McGurn

Pyper                                     Gilly                               Marsh    

Mullen                                                                         Scott                                                                      Swann

Miller                                                                         Malcolm

Cox

Renton

Hopefully this looks better.

As a few have alluded to in previous posts, maybe wholesale changes aren't needed but the stability in place to build from here is in a better position than the last couple of years, so hopefully it's a case of Bollan getting the team playing as a unit, raising the confidence of players maybe accustomed to defeat last year, and subsequently raising a few individual performance levels.

If I look at my first Cowden game against Elgin, that match was 10 from the end of the league season with all hope of avoiding bottom place gone. In those 10 matches, one the back of a draw at Edinburgh, three were won, two drawn and five lost - two of those defeats coming after bottom spot was confirmed in the last two games, and two others being against sides pushing for the title. Along with the draw at Cove and the victory at Central Park that followed, especially with the scenes towards the end, I think there is already a togetherness in place and an idea of how the team needs to play to and utilise its strengths. The team that finished last season was probably a complete contrast to the one witnessed before Bollan's arrival.

One thing I have learnt in my short spell following Cowden at closer quarters is that things are never dull!

McGurn
                                                                                                                                   Cox
                                                                                                                                 Renton

I was also thinking in terms of 3 at the back and also playing 2 up top as a result.

Miller is a shout for right wing back. He did well there for a spell in the championship.

McGurn
Miller Gilly Pyper Marsh Swann
Scott Malcolm Cox
Renton Sheerin

12 hours ago, wulliemc said:

I was also thinking in terms of 3 at the back and also playing 2 up top as a result.

Miller is a shout for right wing back. He did well there for a spell in the championship.

McGurn
Miller Gilly Pyper Marsh Swann
Scott Malcolm Cox
Renton Sheerin

Pyper? We need a big centre half.

15 hours ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

Yes but Gilfillan and Sheerin will now get a proper pre-season to enhance their fitness levels. Cox should also have overcome his injury problems. There was a lack of goals but Sheerin, Renton, Cox can help remedy that along with Robbie Buchanan who gained in confidence under the current management. Defensively we were reasonable. We also have looked to remedy the physicality issue and have added some experienced pros who will help the younger players in the squad as they develop further. Wholesale changes aren't that good an option usually - an incremental approach dealing with some of the weaker areas is more affordable and realistic

I agree you can’t just punt everyone and sign a brand new team, and we have gone more experienced and are in a more stable place for June this year, with the same management team in place and squad mainly organised early.

we have been though, extremely loyal to a lot of the squad who were isolated at the bottom last season. Of course, I really hope your view on the squad is accurate.  It’s in my nature to look for the negatives, sorry can’t help it, I just feel as it stands we haven’t changed enough to improve much.

3 hours ago, Muzza81 said:

3-5-2 doesn't suit us at all with the players quoted above. Get the 4-4-2 in and shell long balls forward and just batter c***s. Win 1-0 every week from a  corner.

:lol:

Remind me to give the Beath games a miss this season.