Cowdenbeath 2018-2019

just looks a long ball team and that's also what you are saying hope not but smith etc would be wasted also need more cover at centre back as gilfinan can't play every week 

Edited by Hooper

7 hours ago, PELE said:

That's how we played before when we had Renton. Awful to watch and Renton rarely achieved anything. He works hard, but doesn't win many headers and the handful he does win pose little threat.

Were we watching the same games? Renton was winning everything in the air but no one was ever running past him so he was flicking the ball on to the feet of defenders.

Renton did well for us in a very poor side.

8 minutes ago, The_Pit_Owns said:

Were we watching the same games? Renton was winning everything in the air but no one was ever running past him so he was flicking the ball on to the feet of defenders.

That’s the way I saw it too. Next to nothing to work with and poor support. Very surprised we got him back.

Could work out well with a fit Cox. Don’t know where Sheerin fits in though.

12 hours ago, The_Pit_Owns said:

He certainly puts a shift in, but wasted effort trying to win headers from long balls which, as you said, amount to little or nothing. When he does get the ball at his feet, he is too knackered to beat defenders. Don't get me wrong. I like him and am glad he is back. Knocking long balls to him won't get us anywhere.

To get the best out of Renton  there has to be someone who will run to bye lines. Doesn’t even have to be a tricky winger but have to at least have the running power out wide to get in good areas and put crosses in.
theres nobody in that team who can.
Swann can do that

So what's the general consensus going into this campaign compared to the last two? I was going to pose this question a couple of days ago but, in the meantime, think I might have half the answer by recent posts. Yet being a relative newcomer on the Cowden scene, I have to ask, how is the mood and optimism/realism going into this next season, looking at the squad now in place, compared to how you felt over the last couple of summers?

Obviously, going into a new season there is often the misguided sense of optimism and no-one could've possibly envisaged the disastrous last two years you've endured (so maybe the question is a retrospective one compared with previous summers), but with the necessity of improving things and hoping/needing to avoid a treble of relegation play-offs in 10 months' time, would you say the team and, more importantly, the squad and management has improved, and is this the strongest group you've had over the last 24 months (a worrying sign if not)?

Also, with a greater knowledge of the opposition than myself, who would you expect to be battling it out at the foot of the table this time around?

It goes without saying that anything can happen over the course of a season but what I'm getting at is... do Cowden now have a better foundation in place for the challenges ahead now you know, realistically, what you're up against... or could we be expecting the same again?

48 minutes ago, wulliemc said:
On 26/06/2018 at 20:28, big al said:
To get the best out of Renton  there has to be someone who will run to bye lines. Doesn’t even have to be a tricky winger but have to at least have the running power out wide to get in good areas and put crosses in.

Swann can do that

Same opinion as me. I think he is wasted in defence.

8 hours ago, Drifter said:

So what's the general consensus going into this campaign compared to the last two? I was going to pose this question a couple of days ago but, in the meantime, think I might have half the answer by recent posts. Yet being a relative newcomer on the Cowden scene, I have to ask, how is the mood and optimism/realism going into this next season, looking at the squad now in place, compared to how you felt over the last couple of summers?

Obviously, going into a new season there is often the misguided sense of optimism and no-one could've possibly envisaged the disastrous last two years you've endured (so maybe the question is a retrospective one compared with previous summers), but with the necessity of improving things and hoping/needing to avoid a treble of relegation play-offs in 10 months' time, would you say the team and, more importantly, the squad and management has improved, and is this the strongest group you've had over the last 24 months (a worrying sign if not)?

Also, with a greater knowledge of the opposition than myself, who would you expect to be battling it out at the foot of the table this time around?

It goes without saying that anything can happen over the course of a season but what I'm getting at is... do Cowden now have a better foundation in place for the challenges ahead now you know, realistically, what you're up against... or could we be expecting the same again?

I think Berwick and Albion rovers will struggle bud.

mid table would be great for us after recent seasons 

we are more organised earlier this year and not just signing a different teenager every week, so in theory we have a better foundation at this stage.

8 hours ago, wulliemc said:
On 26/06/2018 at 20:28, big al said:

Swann can do that

True but then who is left back?

10 hours ago, Drifter said:

Cautious optimism, Drifter. The big  difference this time around is that we have a manager in place right from the off - a manager who has had time to assess the squad. He's got rid of a few and has made some decent signings.  When GB came in, the organisation and morale of the squad improved immediately, and the players have been playing for the manager. One thing for sure is that we won't be outmuscled up front - that's a big improvement. Keeping Davie McGurn is a good bit of business, as is retaining the services of Blair Malcolm. Off the field, the appointment of a new CEO is intriguing.  Everything to play for.

5 minutes ago, Kierkegaard said:

Cautious optimism, Drifter. The big  difference this time around is that we have a manager in place right from the off - a manager who has had time to assess the squad. He's got rid of a few and has made some decent signings.  When GB came in, the organisation and morale of the squad improved immediately, and the players have been playing for the manager. One thing for sure is that we won't be outmuscled up front - that's a big improvement. Keeping Davie McGurn is a good bit of business, as is retaining the services of Blair Malcolm. Off the field, the appointment of a new CEO is intriguing.  Everything to play for.

Everything going in the right direction. At this time in the previous two seasons we seemed lost.

I'm mildly optimistic that we won't be in a relegation battle this season.  As stated above we are starting the season with a bit more structure in place.

This the first time since 2014/15 under Jimmy Nicholl that we've started a new season with the same manager that finished the season previously.

Kris Renton is somebody we know well and we know that he's effective. Yes we need some depth to the squad and I imagine we'll utilise the loan market again so that'll just be a wait and see.  

What's clear though is that we actually have some character in the team. Gilfillan is a leader and I'm delighted that he's signed on.  I doubt he'll play every game but his influence will be vital this season.

12 minutes ago, T-zero said:

Ryan Goodfellow signed for use, hopefully he’s in goals for the cup game!

That's a nice reassuring post.  Take it he's rubbish?  Will be our sub goalie.

2 hours ago, T-zero said:

Good shot stopper, hopeless at coming for crosses though

As mentioned you would expect him to be back up to McGurn. Can remember his as a youngster with the Pars but haven't seen him for years.

As mentioned you would expect him to be back up to McGurn. Can remember his as a youngster with the Pars but haven't seen him for years.

Forgot you had McGurn, ryan will be good enough for your number 2 anyway

11 hours ago, big al said:

Maybe, but I like a full back to be comfy on the ball and going forward.

11 hours ago, big al said:

Maybe, but I like a full back to be comfy on the ball and going forward.

So how's about the current vogue for 3 at the back:

McGurn

Pyper                                     Gilly                               Marsh           

Mullen                                                                         Scott                                                                      Swann

Miller                                                                          Malcolm

Cox

Renton

We would need an additional centre back and a utility full back. Looks alright to me. 

Edited by ronaldincoo