Cowdenbeath 2018-2019

I thought I'd better start this thread... having looked back at the original page from the 2017-18 season, where the second post talked of Kris Renton being off to Alloa.

Well, he's back at Cowden, who are once again 'looking forward to' another season in the bottom tier of the league 'having only been in the same division as Hibs, Hearts and New Rangers a few years ago'... as many feel they have to state when looking at the situation today.

But this summer, do fans have greater hope for the year ahead? Surely, the long-suffering Miners support can't be inflicted with another dire campaign and relegation play-off trauma. Surely lessons have to be learned so the club doesn't have to go cap in hand looking for a sudden influx of cash to keep it alive for the following 12 months with the anticipation of Lowland League football.

There seems to be a positive recruitment in place so far, and dare I say it a positive vibe following the Cove match, with a manager who appears cut out for the nature of this level, while Donald Findlay talks of promotion...

I'm sure, in my limited knowledge as an outsider looking in, that most would be happy not to have a club that isn't adrift at the bottom of the league for the majority of the season and mid-table security. Though is it right to dream of a play-off push, or is it the recent sun and Bank Holiday intoxication talking there?

12 hours ago, Drifter said:

I thought I'd better start this thread... having looked back at the original page from the 2017-18 season, where the second post talked of Kris Renton being off to Alloa.

Well, he's back at Cowden, who are once again 'looking forward to' another season in the bottom tier of the league 'having only been in the same division as Hibs, Hearts and New Rangers a few years ago'... as many feel they have to state when looking at the situation today.

But this summer, do fans have greater hope for the year ahead? Surely, the long-suffering Miners support can't be inflicted with another dire campaign and relegation play-off trauma. Surely lessons have to be learned so the club doesn't have to go cap in hand looking for a sudden influx of cash to keep it alive for the following 12 months with the anticipation of Lowland League football.

There seems to be a positive recruitment in place so far, and dare I say it a positive vibe following the Cove match, with a manager who appears cut out for the nature of this level, while Donald Findlay talks of promotion...

I'm sure, in my limited knowledge as an outsider looking in, that most would be happy not to have a club that isn't adrift at the bottom of the league for the majority of the season and mid-table security. Though is it right to dream of a play-off push, or is it the recent sun and Bank Holiday intoxication talking there?

I doubt the money situation has changed much. Hence, avoiding the lower half of the league will still be the aim with the squad we have. We have only been in this division 2 years, so hopefully it is 3rd time lucky.

All about improvement. We are hard to beat under Bollan and he doesnt accept slackers for sure however we are very lightweight so the signings of scott and renton adds presence. I cannot foresee another season like last 2. However promotion is asking a bit much I think!!

I reckon a season of more wins and not worrying is improvement. The league isnt great though so if we start well who knows we could be a top 4 side dependant who he brings in for middle of the pitch and centre back.

Dont think we have any gks signed up and rumour Chris Smith could be on way.

Clyde and Peterhead favourites to finish top 2. 

14 minutes ago, NELLY said:

Dont think we have any gks signed up and rumour Chris Smith could be on way.

Clyde and Peterhead favourites to finish top 2. 

Rumour of Dunlop as well. Cant see us finishing close to top 2 but anything below that is a possibility. Cant see QP or The Wee Rovers being overly strong.

12 minutes ago, Muzza81 said:

Rumour of Dunlop as well. Cant see us finishing close to top 2 but anything below that is a possibility. Cant see QP or The Wee Rovers being overly strong.

If we got him good signing. We are just building a solid league 2 team should we sign such players which is better than what we have done in the past.. we know what we are getting with scott/renton and dunlop should he sign.

Is it dunlop the centre half or the centre mid?

2 minutes ago, NELLY said:

If we got him good signing. We are just building a solid league 2 team should we sign such players which is better than what we have done in the past.. we know what we are getting with scott/renton and dunlop should he sign.

Is it dunlop the centre half or the centre mid?

Sure they are both CB's now. Think they played alongside each other for Stenny - could be wrong.

6 minutes ago, Muzza81 said:

Sure they are both CB's now. Think they played alongside each other for Stenny - could be wrong.

One played centre mid against us and did well. Preferred him out the 2 but both ok.

Neither have played anywhere except centre back for us.

Mick would be a great signing for you. Even all our old casts offs will be a massive upgrade on what you have been used to the last few years ago.

30 minutes ago, Neilly said:

Neither have played anywhere except centre back for us.

Mick would be a great signing for you. Even all our old casts offs will be a massive upgrade on what you have been used to the last few years ago.

Probably true being an upgrade. But our players seemed to do well against stennys cast offs last season. Lost 1 in 4 against you I think?

Good to see it's not all gloom and doom yet :) As another long time follower of the blue brazil from a distance (Southern England)  it's hard to really know the quality of players coming in but I'm glad there is talk of avoiding the bottom 2 at least. Managed to make it up season before last and hoping to bring a group up from the Chelsea Women supporters group who are now showing an interest. Are there any other places other than Pie & Bovril to keep up to date with what's going on ? (Apart from the clubs twitter feed)

3 hours ago, NELLY said:

Probably true being an upgrade. But our players seemed to do well against stennys cast offs last season. Lost 1 in 4 against you I think?

Over the course of the season you were utterly abysmal and our cast offs played a hand in us getting promotion. Accept our cast offs with the good will they are intended this standard of player will guarentee you are not the worst team in Scotland for a third year running. If Eddie Ferns signed as well him and Jimmy will be going for three promotions in a row from the division.

Marshy will be a good signing for Cowden. I actually liked him in defensive midfield the few games he played there as well. He will take names and can break the play up in there but obviously he will get a minimum of two red cards a season I'd have thought.

The names being talked about shows we are benefiting from having a manager who really knows the lower leagues being in place already for the new season. GB seems to be going for experienced pros with a bit of weight and authority about them,  GB came into a difficult situation and very quickly cleared out the worst of the team and got the players organised. It was obvious latterly that the team were playing for the manager. We may not set the league alight, but we certainly won't be pushovers if the manager gets the players he wants.

1 hour ago, Neilly said:

Over the course of the season you were utterly abysmal and our cast offs played a hand in us getting promotion. Accept our cast offs with the good will they are intended this standard of player will guarentee you are not the worst team in Scotland for a third year running. If Eddie Ferns signed as well him and Jimmy will be going for three promotions in a row from the division.

Marshy will be a good signing for Cowden. I actually liked him in defensive midfield the few games he played there as well. He will take names and can break the play up in there but obviously he will get a minimum of two red cards a season I'd have thought.

We’ll need all these big guys for the game against Cove.

3 hours ago, Chelsea Blue Braziler said:

Good to see it's not all gloom and doom yet :) As another long time follower of the blue brazil from a distance (Southern England)  it's hard to really know the quality of players coming in but I'm glad there is talk of avoiding the bottom 2 at least. Managed to make it up season before last and hoping to bring a group up from the Chelsea Women supporters group who are now showing an interest. Are there any other places other than Pie & Bovril to keep up to date with what's going on ? (Apart from the clubs twitter feed)

We used to have our own forum. Unfortunately that was closed down a few years ago. P&B, twitter,facebook and the official site is all that's available i'm afraid.

Edited by onecowden

3 hours ago, Chelsea Blue Braziler said:

Pics or GTF. (Not a supporter but them's the rules)

Edited by welshbairn

23 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Pics or GTF. (Not a supporter but them's the rules)

I think you might be left disappointed with that request pal, and be sorry for what you asked for... as I imagine the response would be more akin to the Chelsea Pensioners than Chelsea Heeley!