• Announcements

• Div

Pie and Bovril Nostalgia Mobile Phone Cases!   12/09/18

We are delighted to have partnered up with Nostalgia Cases to offer a huge range of fantastic Scottish Football phone cases to our visitors. These high quality cases are available in a range of retro and up to date designs and there variations available for all Premiership, Championship and League 1 clubs as well as four of the League 2 teams. Within each club there are a range of choices. You'll find it difficult to choose! This is an Edinburgh based start-up, and they also provide a custom design service so if there is a kit you don't see that you'd love for your phone you can get in touch with them and they'll add it to their range. Naturally there is a HUGE support for all the major phone manufacturers and models and what's more delivery in the UK is completely FREE. What's even better is that Pie and Bovril users can get 10% off their order using the coupon code PIEANDBOV Take a look and browse the full range for your favourite club by clicking through to the website below. https://bit.ly/2M5laZs
Airdrie1977

Airdrieonians 2018/19. The Second Coming of the New Era

11 hours ago, waysider said:

I suppose to some extent it depends on how much a player values money more than the chance of a regular game. If we make it clear that a player is not in our plans he has to decide whether to accept guaranteed money for the rest of his contract but not play first team football or take his chances elsewhere. I remember Bobo Baldé sat out his contract at Celtic because of the money he was making despite being told he wouldn’t play in the first team again.

Most players will be able to get a pay off AND get first team football elsewhere. It's not a case of the player finding another club and moving on at no cost. If they've got any agent worth their salt they'll negotiate a release package and get them a club elsewhere too. The January transfer window is expensive business for clubs at our level, it can be really difficult to alter squads at this point in the season on a part time budget. 

I got the same grief about O'Neill till about a month ago.    
I have the courage of my convictions and am not gonna be a sheep like most.
McIntosh's career has almost been ruined by Findus - a manager who said he doesn't trust him.  He also ruined any chance John Higgins had with the same patter, and believe it or not, he was inches from doing the same with O'Neill who was desperate to quit this season.
Hey, he may already have irreperably damaged McIntosh already.   His overspending on shite players has already put our board in a bad place that needs remedial action.
Till then, I call it like I see it.  I've been right about these things a lot more than I've been wrong.

I have to hold my hands up and admit I was wrong about O’Neill. He’s been a much better player under Murray, while I never ever slated him (I just don’t think that helps, but each to their own), I wasn’t sold.

I’ve always like McIntosh though and would like to see him back in the side.

We don't have a good record with defenders, in my opinion Ricky Lamie was a good big solid defender, but the management decided otherwise and let him go, same scenario with Gregor Buchanan.  We don't seem to be able to spot potential and stick with it and build on it.

7 hours ago, DestroyedByMadness said:

Worst is mate,  he had other teams (who are above us) who wanted and rated him.

For reasons you've noted already,  it may be too late, Findus may already have ruined him.   When he broke into the team I didn't think he was the best defender, he needed a run beside better than Gorman.  But he did have the potential to progress.   A defender who can win the ball, passes it superbly, and can drop a shoulder and beat a man when necessary...    I'd rather have given him a season than suffer what we now have.

Edwards is only 18.   I do believe he's already far better than McDonald and Conroy.  Again, Findus indiscriminately dropped him and others with no eye to the players development.

I think they have potential if handled well and could be relatively cheap to build around - a very important factor.

I really like McIntosh too. There's been some amount of dross to play for us at the back over the last few years (the aforementioned Gorman, Boateng, Mensing and all the current jobbers) and he's certainly a cut above most of them. He actually has ability on the ball and is an option as a ball carrier too. Someone I know who hadn't been to a game in years came along to one a couple of seasons ago and McIntosh was the player they rated the most. I think he's suffered from a succession of clowns for managers as well as not getting a run in the team in any one position. TBH I thought he should have left in the summer to get a game somewhere else but if he can establish himself in the team again it can only be to our benefit. 

I've always rated Edwards highly too and always thought he's been one of the better players whenever I've seen him play. I would say he's a better defender and attacker than MacDonald. 

On 27/10/2018 at 19:07, Airdrie76 said:

Centre midfield is the biggest issue. Wilkie, Miller and Gallagher can go weeks without contributing anything. 

I agree about Edwards. Always thought he has potential which should be nurtured not cast aside.

McIntosh is also a prospect if given game time.

According to the Advertiser Martin Ferguson is to be new Chairman. If true it is a bit of a pleasant surprise to me. I thought he’d be off too.

19 minutes ago, waysider said:

According to the Advertiser Martin Ferguson is to be new Chairman. If true it is a bit of a pleasant surprise to me. I thought he’d be off too.

Yes, good news.   

Edwards is a good player, and with the proper coaching could become a very important player for Airdrie.  He's still very young, remember.  I'd absolutely be for keeping him.

Be a good chance to see who is any good this week against the mighty Arbroath .would be a fine time to inflict their first league defeat .Crafty manager Dick Campbell the two cup defeats allow him to concentrate on league .If we can play all the game like we do in spells a shock may be on the cards 3-1 ♦️♦️

34 minutes ago, Jack Reed said:

Oh , I thought Watson had just stepped down,didn't realise he had left.

Yeah he did step down, that’s what I meant