Fife and Lothians Cup Final

bravehearts dad

Hi all football supporters.

Thought I would start a thread for this topic specifically rather than on the clubs involved thread.

Hopefully the internet has now reached Nitten and they can give us their respected opinions.

It was getting mentioned amongst the fans at the game at Bonnyrigg last night that the final was going to Broxburn.

Broxburn bloody Broxburn. It seems obvious that Someone from Broxburn Athletic May have a big say in this awful decision.

How a prestigious cup final in the East Juniors goes there is a total insult to all.

1) 2 Football clubs from Midlothian for the match and their respective fans having to travel to a venue that has the worst pitch in the East and offers the worst of experiences for the fans. It is also an awful playing surface to make the game worthy of the competition particularly the Final.

2) The West Region Secretary gets plenty of stick on that thread through his intransigence and being autocratic, giving no respect to the clubs or fans, does the individual from Broxburn want to be tarred with that brush or is it a simple case of “Up Yours” to fans, players and clubs. Another reason clubs are leaving the Junior game.

3) This will be the Last Fife and Lothians Cup Final under the present format as its very doubtful there will be enough clubs left to have the trophy competed for next season.

So for me it should be a showcase cup final played at a venue to suit the occasion for the clubs and the FANS. 

Please make sense of this nonsense decision.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, ARFC Exile said:

Madness having two Midlothian clubs travel midweek to Broxburn. The obvious venues to hold it are Arniston, Dalkeith or Penicuick.

Can't do that, all three are leaving the Juniors. ;) Broxburn is the closest Junior ground, though that status might change as a result of their meeting last night!

I had expected Musselburgh to host this which seemed more than sensible but Broxburn makes no sense in terms of its poor layout and hated pitch.

Doubtful it'll now be moved so all we can do is go and win it.

1 minute ago, Ginaro said:

Can't do that, all three are leaving the Juniors. ;) Broxburn is the closest Junior ground, though that status might change as a result of their meeting last night!

All three are still members of the SJFA untill this season is over. If this is the reason it's being played in Broxburn it just confirms my belief that clubs are doing the right thing by moving.

I agree the surface at Broxburn is poor, but you may be struggling to find much better at the moment. I was at Linlithgow recently and it was neat, rolled flat and well cut but it was like concrete, which isn’t exactly conducive to good football and is verging on dangerous. And that’s generally considered one of the best. 

21 minutes ago, ARFC Exile said:

All three are still members of the SJFA untill this season is over. If this is the reason it's being played in Broxburn it just confirms my belief that clubs are doing the right thing by moving.

Honestly, I have no idea if this is the actual reason, it's just something I noticed.

6 minutes ago, pumphy_man said:

One of the finals last season saw Bonnyrîgg and Tranent travel to Bathgate.Not sure who makes this up.

Probably one of the best playing surfaces in East Region so that would be the only possible reason. I would add that Bo'ness & Linlithgow were in the Final recently and they tossed a coin for which Club would host it. A very simple solution.

11 minutes ago, boheesian said:

Probably one of the best playing surfaces in East Region so that would be the only possible reason. I would add that Bo'ness & Linlithgow were in the Final recently and they tossed a coin for which Club would host it. A very simple solution.

That makes a lot of sense

4 hours ago, boheesian said:

I believe both Bonnyrigg and nitten are in favour of tossing a coin.

It's good that different clubs are getting a chance to host finals. In the days when my team used to reach finals, it seemed they were always played at Linlithgow or Gorebridge.

The minimum criteria should be that there is a Social Club at the ground to allow fans to have "a better experience". However, it's Junior Football, so a lot of pitches aren't the greatest.

Archived