Peru v Scotland - Wed 30th May 2018

So if O'Donnell has proved himself unworthy of the spot - and I'm not saying he did or didn't, I didn't see any of the game - then at least we realised that in a friendly.  It's kind of what they're for.  They're always talked about as seeing what works, but they're just as useful for finding out what doesn't.

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, east fife for life said:

The worst Scotland performance I've ever seen! People moaning about too many Celtic players in a Scotland starting 11 shouldn't moan again! Waste of time these friendlies

This is absolute nonsense.  We weren't brilliant, but you'd need a short memory to even put that in the top 10 worst performances of the last decade.

38 minutes ago, Enigma said:

We’re probably still better off playing Tierney there, of Fraser if we go with a back three.

Tierney in a back four or Fraser/Forrest in a back five seems like the way to go for now.  I don't think Paterson is as bad an option as others make him out either.  And although I'm obviously biased about O'Donnell, I didn't think he was terrible.  He's obviously not first choice international standard, but I think we could just about rely on him if we were struggling, particularly if he's playing as a wing-back rather than a full-back.

11 minutes ago, east fife for life said:

The worst Scotland performance I've ever seen! People moaning about too many Celtic players in a Scotland starting 11 shouldn't moan again! Waste of time these friendlies

I don't know what you were expecting, that squad had guys that wouldn't make our C team let alone our B team in normal circumstances.

Tierney in a back four or Fraser/Forrest in a back five seems like the way to go for now.  I don't think Paterson is as bad an option as others make him out either.  And although I'm obviously biased about O'Donnell, I didn't think he was terrible.  He's obviously not first choice international standard, but I think we could just about rely on him if we were struggling, particularly if he's playing as a wing-back rather than a full-back.

I don’t think you’re wrong with what you’re saying. O’Donnell was fine in a weakened Scotland side playing in Peru against a starting 11 that managed to clinch a qualifying spot from the 4 available in South America. Think some folk are forgetting that and there’s not been any alternative suggestions for a RB in a back 4 put forward since I asked either. Northern Ireland didn’t seem to fair too badly putting guys of a similar quality to O’Donnell in their starting 11 so not sure why we’d be snobby.

Hate the term international class aswell, some international teams are absolute humpty, infact the majority in Europe are about as average as we are

McGinn was dreadful against Hearts and Rangers in the last 2 games of the season so it concerns me that he was so poor again last night.

Hopefully just a case of him running out of steam and needing a summer break. McGeouch is an absolute baller at all times though so hopefully he starts against Mexico.

We should either insist the team belt out Flower of Scotland like the rugby guys or stop playing it. The comparison with Peru looking so patriotic as they gave it their all and our guys giving it all the enthusiasm of going through the 7 times table was embarrassing to watch. We used to be known for our passion. Feck me, not now. If you don't want to sing it, GTF.

We should either insist the team belt out Flower of Scotland like the rugby guys or stop playing it. The comparison with Peru looking so patriotic as they gave it their all and our guys giving it all the enthusiasm of going through the 7 times table was embarrassing to watch. We used to be known for our passion. Feck me, not now. If you don't want to sing it, GTF.

Calm down Mr Trump

19 minutes ago, Hampden Diehard said:

Should force them to salute the flag before the game and donate all their earnings to the troops IMO.

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

Should force them to salute the flag before the game and donate all their earnings to the troops IMO.

What do we do with the players that kneel during the anthem?

11 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:
It's laughable that we had no shots and litterly no possession. What has happened to our game. Shame on the SFA... One failure after another.

I really hope you meant latterly, and even then you're still wrong.

6 hours ago, east fife for life said:

3 hours ago, Hampden Diehard said:

I'm having a real dilemma trying to figure out which one of these is the daftest comment on this thread. I was initially going with the former, but the idea of picking players, not just for their footballing ability, but for their willingness to sing the second worst anthem in world football (GSTQ for the win) might just clinch it.

12 minutes ago, velo army said:

I'm having a real dilemma trying to figure out which one of these is the daftest comment on this thread. I was initially going with the former, but the idea of picking players, not just for their footballing ability, but for their willingness to sing the second worst anthem in world football (GSTQ for the win) might just clinch it.

I hear Lee Wallace sings like a canary

Recorded the game and just caught up with it there, no very often you’ll see 3 Hibs players starting for the national team, regardless of circumstances. 

Delighted to see Stevenson get a cap. Aye it’s came through none of Tierney, Robertson & Douglas being available and the fact we’re on a jaunt to South America but delighted nonetheless. Hopefully people will start realising why Hibs fans for so long have championed McGeouch over McGinn, the boy is a certified baller. 

7 hours ago, Enigma said:

We’re probably still better off playing Tierney there, of Fraser if we go with a back three.

If your deciding out of Tierney and Robertson who to play at RB im not sure why it’s Tierney who it always seems to be who people say should go to the right considering KT is more one footed and has to set his feet when controlling the ball thus making him more unbalanced on his weaker side. Robertson has more fluidity to his play and should play their out of the two IMO. If that is the dilemma.

If your deciding out of Tierney and Robertson who to play at RB im not sure why it’s Tierney who it always seems to be who people say should go to the right considering KT is more one footed and has to set his feet when controlling the ball thus making him more unbalanced on his weaker side. Robertson has more fluidity to his play and should play their out of the two IMO. If that is the dilemma.

That is the most Scottish thing I've ever heard!!!

"I know what, you know how we're currently lucky enough to have probably the most in form Left-Back in world football at the moment, one who is seen internationally as being one of the best in that position, well how about we fucking ignore all that rubbish and undo all the work and effort that that boy has put into getting himself onto that elite world stage and play him on the other side of the park in another position entirely?

And while we're at it, you know how Griffiths is currently our best option up front, how about we play him in goals? Surely him scoring all those goals will have given him an in-depth look into the psyche of being a goal keeper and therefore make him better than any goalkeeper ever."

It's a ludicrous suggestion, why weaken ourselves further by taking one of our very few advantages and fucking around with it???

Except we’re not deciding between Robertson and Tierney. Robertson is the better player and first pick at left back. We would be daft not to have our best left back playing in a left back role. No we’re deciding out of Tierney, Paterson, O’Donnell etc. Who is best suited. Tierney will probably have to learn to be a bit adaptable to playing at right back or centre back for Scotland because as it stands he won’t be getting a game at all at left back.

Archived