Andy roberston

kenny131

Yet to see Robertson perform in a Scotland jersey to the standard you'd expect for someone that is playing in Champions League finals and challenging for the best league in the world tbh. 

11 minutes ago, DAFC. said:

Yet to see Robertson perform in a Scotland jersey to the standard you'd expect for someone that is playing in Champions League finals and challenging for the best league in the world tbh. 

The Darren Fletcher phenomenon continues.

22 minutes ago, DAFC. said:

When the midfield and strikers of scotland produce the movement of liverpool's players then you'll see it no bother. Plus robertson can bomb on with the knowledge he has one of the top centre halfs in the world covering. 

At the moment we give robertson the ball then sit back and expect him to skin the whole team. 

Liverpool are told by their manager that they're a great team who can do unexpected things. The confidence of the players will be huge.

Scotland are told that they're shite and have to defend at all costs because they aren't good enough to win, and are fed a load of negativity about things such as the pitch, travel, weather etc so often that it gets in their heads. The confidence is non existent.

Liverpool are told by their manager that they're a great team who can do unexpected things. The confidence of the players will be huge.
Scotland are told that they're shite and have to defend at all costs because they aren't good enough to win, and are fed a load of negativity about things such as the pitch, travel, weather etc so often that it gets in their heads. The confidence is non existent.
I agree that the difference in mentality is hugely relevant. Then again we had George Burley trying to engineer a progression towards expansive, attacking football and it was an absolute disaster. I'm not so bothered with what our new manager's footballing philosophy is, so long as it's a winning one.

16 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

This is why we need Steve Clarke as boss. Can you imagine Davie Moyes trying to gee up a team? Oaft. 

17 hours ago, Gordopolis said:
17 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

I agree that the difference in mentality is hugely relevant. Then again we had George Burley trying to engineer a progression towards expansive, attacking football and it was an absolute disaster. I'm not so bothered with what our new manager's footballing philosophy is, so long as it's a winning one.

You can play more defensive and still have confidence.

This is why we need Steve Clarke as boss. Can you imagine Davie Moyes trying to gee up a team? Oaft. 

I can’t really imagine Steve Clarke being particularly inspirational either, but clearly he is.

I’d be happy with either of them.

1 hour ago, Savage Henry said:

I can’t really imagine Steve Clarke being particularly inspirational either, but clearly he is.

I’d be happy with either of them.

He doesn't need to be inspirational, just motivational. I hear him talking up his players and squad quite often in his interviews.

14 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

He doesn't need to be inspirational, just motivational. I hear him talking up his players and squad quite often in his interviews.

I get where you're coming from so I'm just being devil's advocate - but I remember Craig Levein yammering about how 'my squad could win every game of this (2012) qualifying group' and 'I'd rather have one James Morrison than 3 Landon Donovans'. To be fair though Levein never sounded like he really believed any of that himself - whereas Klopp does.

Agree also re you can be defensive and confident. 

10 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

I get where you're coming from so I'm just being devil's advocate - but I remember Craig Levein yammering about how 'my squad could win every game of this (2012) qualifying group' and 'I'd rather have one James Morrison than 3 Landon Donovans'. To be fair though Levein never sounded like he really believed any of that himself - whereas Klopp does.

Agree also re you can be defensive and confident. 

Aye but Levein's actions never mirrored his words. The 4-6-0 was a prime example; it was set up not as a counter attacking formation but as a hideously defensive one, with players like Gary Caldwell in midfield. He was basically telling the players he didn't think they could win against the Czech Republic.

19 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Aye but Levein's actions never mirrored his words. The 4-6-0 was a prime example; it was set up not as a counter attacking formation but as a hideously defensive one, with players like Gary Caldwell in midfield. He was basically telling the players he didn't think they could win against the Czech Republic.

Gary Caldwell played in midfield plenty of times under various different managers.

9 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Gary Caldwell played in midfield plenty of times under various different managers.

Why? He's no midfielder. I can't recall him playing in midfield for Scotland before that game.

The point I'm making is that a noted defender was put in midfield, despite us having actual, decent, midfielders available. It was horribly negative (and before tedious bores say anything, it wasn't the formation as such but how it was utilised, the players used and why it was utilised).

42 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Why? He's no midfielder. I can't recall him playing in midfield for Scotland before that game.

The point I'm making is that a noted defender was put in midfield, despite us having actual, decent, midfielders available. It was horribly negative (and before tedious bores say anything, it wasn't the formation as such but how it was utilised, the players used and why it was utilised).

He played in a holding role a few times under Smith and McLeish. He played there quite often for Hibs and also did it for Celtic on occasion too, including in the 2009 League Cup final

On 13/05/2019 at 12:27, Gordopolis said:

Robertson in Garth Crooks' team of the season:
"Full-backs who have the ability to produce wonderful crosses into the opposition's penalty area and then defend as though their life depends on it are worth their weight in gold.

Andrew Robertson has been doing that better than any other full-back in the country this season. He also possesses a terrific change of pace which enables him to recover situations when others are left for dead. This young man could get into any international team in the world right now. Scotland are desperately lucky to have him."

Nice write up apart from the c*nty last sentence.

At least he didn't tout him for an England call up

• 3 weeks later...