Failed Statelet Premier League (and other divisions) 2019/20

7 hours ago, H Wragg said:

Is this in any way, how can I put it, a culturally controversial move?

If so, how are the locals (on both sides) taking it?

I haven't heard of any complaints so far.

On 6/7/2018 at 08:18, Jacksgranda said:

I haven't heard of any complaints so far.

Suspect the only real issue on this is what happens when Linfield play there? If this works out OK, it will be interesting to see if there's any appetite for Derry City to play in NI football again.

13 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Suspect the only real issue on this is what happens when Linfield play there? If this works out OK, it will be interesting to see if there's any appetite for Derry City to play in NI football again.

I was thinking the same, although Derry City have entertained Linfield at The Brandywell without incident. Mind you I suppose those were friendlies, has there been a competitive match between the two since Derry's resurrection?

Although it's Institute they'll be playing not Derry City, but I suppose you have idiots on both sides who could cause trouble outside of the ground.

• 4 weeks later...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44702741

Nearly feels like a defeat - great result for Coleraine, not so much Crues and Reds.

Glenavon also had a great result, beating Molde 2-1, don't know how I missed that.

Edited by Jacksgranda

1 hour ago, Co.Down Hibee said:

Must have been bad for a 3 month ban.  Seems to revolve around selection which seems strange.

That's what I thought, was hoping for some juicy scandal along the lines of the Ulster rugger boys...

Edited by Jacksgranda
Grammar!!

BBC Preview of this season's Irish League

Newry City who've done a Sevco in the last few years are a bit of an unknown quantity but have signed well. Institute will offer better opposition than Carrick Rangers too and it will be interesting to see how they get on sharing the Brandywell with Derry City.

Hard to see beyond Crusaders for the title. Not sure if Coleraine will manage to push them as hard this time, given last season's success. Can't see Barry Gray lasting the season at Cliftonville; David Healy will hope his re-shaped squad does much better than last season's poor showing or he'll be down the road by the autumn, too.

possible dark horses in Ballymena and Genavon as always. The rest are much of a muchness.

should be an interesting season in NI football.