League Cup 18/19 - Group E

25 minutes ago, thistledo said:

Great decision to give the lad a chance. Wouldn't mind seeing Ayr do well, just hopefully not as well as Thistle...

He did indeed, I've always liked McCall and really rated his signings for us. I think he also brought the likes of Cairney, Harkins and Paton amongst others to the club. 

I've always seen the Ayr Thistle matches as a kind of friendly derby and I'll never forget the class shown by the Thistle fans in the relegation decider at Firhill.

Hopefully we both have a good season.

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've always seen the Ayr Thistle matches as a kind of friendly derby and I'll never forget the class shown by the Thistle fans in the relegation decider at Firhill.

IMG_1369.jpg

Bit of a no-win situation for us last night with some folk expecting cricket scores. For me, getting the win and escaping without any injuries was the main objective. Managed the former with relative ease and nearly achieved the latter until Storer's unfortunate slip.

We were utterly dominant in terms of possession but didn't do enough with it. A mitigating reason for that was the pitch which was awfully dry and bumpy -  it was difficult to zip the ball about at any great speed in the conditions. When we did manage it, we always looked threatening.  

The delivery from set-pieces was largely appalling with Slater being the main culprit incapable of getting beyond the first man. With guys' with the aerial prowess of O'Ware and McGinty, it's crucial that we can get a decent delivery into the box. O'Ware has proven that with a good set piece taker (Ross Forbes) he'll weigh in with his fair share of goals, and McGinty attacks the ball just as well.

Storey had a fine second half; he really grew into the game when he switched to the right and was able to drift inside. Penrice continues to impress and he wasn't far away with a shot in the first half following an excellent marauding run in field. Corners aside, Slater was busy and tidy on the ball as usual, rarely wasting possession and stretching the game in the second half. Impressive cameo from Fitzpatrick who took his goal very well. Was unlucky with a header soon after too. Looking forward to seeing more of him during the season.

Yet to see anything from Gordon to suggest he's going to sustain a starting place in a Championship side. 

Storer had some flashes of quality before looking like he turned his ankle on the soft ground at the side of the pitch. Punching the bin in frustration suggests that temper is still simmering under the surface, though. It was encouraging that he walked off the pitch at the end albeit with a relatively heavy limp. Hopefully will only be out for a week or two.

I'd be concerned if I were an Albion Rovers fan - as honest a shift that their team put in, they were severely lacking in any quality at all. The red headed number 18 who came on as sub looked like he'd never set foot on a football pitch before; if that is the quality of player that Rovers have in the squad, it's going to be long season. The young boy Kearney managed to isolate Christie once or twice but couldn't get past him, might have more joy against a player of lesser quality.

The pitch will be a leveller though; it's going to be very tough to play on that in the winter months. It's no coincidence that ourselves and Ayr laboured to wins whereas Stenny's win was more comfortable albeit thanks to a couple of late goals. On a pitch as good as Cappielow, Morton will win very comfortably on Saturday.

Queue incoming riots at the league opener at Somerset with rushes to the segregation fence on the north terracing from both sets of supporters if there's goals in the first half.

4 hours ago, Armand 2 said:

Yet to see anything from Gordon to suggest he's going to sustain a starting place in a Championship side. 

He was quiet on the face of things but off the ball he made some good runs and regularly found himself in space but wasn’t picked out by Slater. Hopefully as he beds in we take adavantage of this.

Strapp, Buchanan, Waddell, Millar, Telfer, Thomson & Johnston all out for us on Saturday. Going to be a couple of youngsters in the starting XI. Bit worrying for the first game of the season as well.

Buzzing for this one tomorrow. Regardless of the scoreline I think we’ll probably progress to the last 16 but it would be good to get the win and get seeded for the next round. Mental to think that if we progress we’re only two wins away from a national cup semi final at Hampden.

Two full busses plus loads of people getting the train and driving tomorrow so there should be a fairly healthy travelling support. Don’t think I’ve ever seen us win at Firhill mind you.

Teamwise, Geggan is out with a calf strain while Moore is ill. Bit concerning regarding Geggan being injured already. I’d be slightly worried if were relying on Ferguson for a large part of the season as in my opinion he’s a big down grade on Sir Andy. Hopefully both are back for the visit of Thistle next Saturday. 

I’d go:

Doohan

Ferguson Rose Bell Harvie 

Forrest  Kerr Murdoch Crawford

Moffat Shankland 

Subs; Hare-Reid, Adams,Docherty, McGuffie, McDaid, McCowan, Murphy

This post could be one to keep an eye on over the next 8 days.

Good chance the statement will come back to bite me but I stand by it. Mark Kerr’s brutal.

10 minutes ago, rb123! said:

When did you last see him play?

As Thistle fans we never really saw him play, tbh. He just strolled about and had a neck like a giraffe from what I recall.

Archived