League Cup 18/19 - Group E

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Storer’s goal was a fucking belter. Don’t think any keeper would have saved it. Unfortunately our defending lead to 2 free men at the back post for the 2nd which was quite disappointing. Felt 2nd half we dominated from start to finish with the midfield doing really well - Telfer especially. Just couldn’t make the most of our chances sadly. 

We’re nearly there. That second half showed how capable we are. Another wide player and a striker would be ideal as right now that is what is severely letting us down. 

Right well that result for Albion tonight makes me think it could be a good day on Saturday. Possibly go back on top if we improve our goal difference so hoping for a few goals.

I’d switch things up a bit and make a few changes.

Hare-Reid

Ferguson Rose Bell Harvie

McDaid Murdoch Faulds Murphy

Forrest

Shankland

Subs: Doohan, Geggan, Adams, Crawford, McCowan, Moffat, Moore

After Saturdays result and performance I’m totally buzzing to get to Coatbridge (first time anyone has uttered that sentence.)

McCall has hinted we’ll rotate the squad a bit throughout the group stages. Docherty is also back in full training so would give him half an hour from the bench on Saturday with a view of giving him 60 minutes against Stenny midweek. 

i’d go: 

Doohan

Ferguson Rose Bell Harvie 

McDaid Murdoch McCowan Crawford 

Moore Shankland 

Subs; Hare-Reid, Geggan, Kerr, Docherty, McGuffie, Forrest, Moffat

Prediction:- Got nothing against Albion Rovers as a club but after one of their posters on here accusing us of racist chanting on our last visit to Coatbridge I hope we smash 8 past them. No mercy. 

I went to Stenhousemuir v Albion Rovers tonight as a neutral. I can't believe how bad Albion Rovers were. Difficult to judge Stenhousemuir with that level of opposition. They could easily have scored a few more had they be a bit more effective in the first half.

I spoke to an Albion Rovers fan I met before. He is convinced they'll finish bottom. And to be honest, I couldn't say anything that would increase his confidence.

Looked like a potential pumping at one point but in the end I thought we were unlucky not to take it to pens.

Wasnt much in it for first 20 mins and then Thistle kicked on and controlled the rest of the half. I guess McKinnon will be pleased how we reacted as we dominated the second half.

Badly need a winger and a striker as Mchugh is not good enough to be starting games.  If we get the right players in, we should be ok going by the second half performance!

While you have to acknowledge that our opposition were 2-0 up and happy to let us have the ball, we actually looked like a football team in the second half with the central three of Millar, McAlister and Tidser controlling things playing together for the first time. That midfield is a reason to be positive, for all there's little else on what we've seen so far.

I also went along as a neutral tonight although the I spent most of it helping the guy trying to keep the in play bet information up to date.

Maybe I've been spoiled watching Ayr's attacking style of play, this was horrible at times. 

Albion Rovers look doomed already, I can't say anyone caught my eye apart from the size of the dodgy goalkeeper. They had absolutely nothing going forward. It's not as if they were big hardy men either to try win the war if not the game. 

Stenny, bloody yapping goalkeeper Graeme Smith aside did the job. Could've/Should've scored many more. Cook looked your most dangerous player. Despite what someone else said, unless your last right back was amazing, you're being pretty harsh on Alan Reid, (saying through gritted teeth after his horrible tackle on Robbie Crawford last season) thought he did well. 

I was in the wee bar before the game and one of the board members was saying McMenamin is crocked. Some injury coming back from last year? Expected to be out a while till it's diagnosed. Worried they'd be relying solely on McGuigan, who did well, but had many chances to do better.

Cliftonhills pitch worries me as it could be a leveller but neither side should cause us problems. Hints of rotation to give some players game time, but I'll be putting Ayr -3 for the next two games. Watch me jinx this! 

Missed a couple of good chances to make it 3-0 and we weren't able to step it back up again when Morton rallied. In the rnd we nearly let the game slip from easy street. Hopefully that's just because it's early season,but Morton had a lot more energy than us in the second half.

17 hours ago, Scosha said:

Storer’s goal was a fucking belter. Don’t think any keeper would have saved it. Unfortunately our defending lead to 2 free men at the back post for the 2nd which was quite disappointing. Felt 2nd half we dominated from start to finish with the midfield doing really well - Telfer especially. Just couldn’t make the most of our chances sadly. 

We’re nearly there. That second half showed how capable we are. Another wide player and a striker would be ideal as right now that is what is severely letting us down. 

Impressed from the midfield fight from Morton second half although we never got out of 2nd gear.

Thought Oliver looked sharp when he came on. Telfer ran the second half.

The midfield performance of the second half, coupled with an actual striker, should be enough to beat most teams this season.

First half was relatively even til the second goal, which was just sloppy on all accounts from our perspective.

Thistle didn't look all that much better, if at all, over the piece. 

That Storer goal was an absolute worldy last night, nearly took the net aff!

Pretty poor 1st half last night, sloppy 2nd goal to lose but incredible 2nd half, came out a different team, passing and movment was excellent and we were unlucky not to get a draw.

Great to have this fixture back, always a cracker!

Albions only hope of avoiding the drop is to hope for an administration from the team in the place above them.

If you could sign a team full of 2nd & 3rd tier Junior players & expect to compete then everyone would do it.

The keeper came from the bottom league, nae even the 3rd tier.

Archived