League Cup 18/19 - Group E

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Absolutely ridiculous goal from Storer. Won’t be topped all season.

We look a lot quicker and fitter than Morton.

A lot of them looked dead on their feet on Saturday as the game went on so it’s no surprise.

A pretty straightforward victory for Stenhousemuir over Albion Rovers that could have been a lot more brutal if the Warriors had converted some of their first-half chances. Two quickfire goals from Morgyn Neill and Connor Duthie at the start of the second half gave Stenny a deserved lead while a lovely Seb Ross volley and Sean Dickson, finishing a brilliant team move, added a deserved gloss to the scoreline.

It's hard to judge how good Stenhousemuir were but a handful of players stood out - Neill was very good at centre-back and repelled everything that came his way, Ruaridh Donaldson galloped up and down the left flank and big Mark McGuigan was superb as the lone striker. He could have had a hat-trick, sure, but his hold-up play was good and, if he had more support, particularly in the first half, we would have ran riot.

I'm not sure on Alan Reid at right-back - he looks a downgrade on Ross Meechan - Alan Cook was frustrating and Thomas Halleran didn't get into the game but these are quibbles at this stage.

As for Albion Rovers, I don't like saying it but it's one of the worst Rovers sides I've seen since I started watching Stenny in 2004. Even when they're not a great side, you still get bags of fight and intensity from them but the quality and the commitment was lacking tonight. They didn't force Graeme Smith into making a save, they didn't give Neill or Jesus Garcia Tena anything to think about, they were just there, on the pitch. I think it could be a very long season at Cliftonhill.

Some hit by Storer, but f**k me he's going to be as good as a man short without the ball, very similar in that regard to Erskine when he first signed. 

Not a tremendous amount to be positive about with the performance, but we were 2-0 up at half time without playing well and managed, just about, not to throw it away, both of which are an improvement on anything from last year. A good result with 5 or 6 players still to come in, though I'm sure Morton will say their squad is in a similar position. 

I'm not sure Shea Gordon has touched the ball since his second goal on Saturday. Mccarthy was decent when he came on. Storey was full Miles Storey, caused some chaos and fell asleep for their goal as the right back ran off him. I'd still be trying to find a way to keep him though. 

Can’t really judge that Stenny performance as Albion Rovers were sooooo bad. Reminded me of the East Stirling side of a few years back. Obvious that they have no money to spend. Can’t believe that there will be a team as bad as them in League 2 this season.

1 minute ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

A pretty straightforward victory for Stenhousemuir over Albion Rovers that could have been a lot more brutal if the Warriors had converted some of their first-half chances. Two quickfire goals from Morgyn Neill and Connor Duthie at the start of the second half gave Stenny a deserved lead while a lovely Seb Ross volley and Sean Dickson, finishing a brilliant team move, added a deserved gloss to the scoreline.

It's hard to judge how good Stenhousemuir were but a handful of players stood out - Neill was very good at centre-back and repelled everything that came his way, Ruaridh Donaldson galloped up and down the left flank and big Mark McGuigan was superb as the lone striker. He could have had a hat-trick, sure, but his hold-up play was good and, if he had more support, particularly in the first half, we would have ran riot.

I'm not sure on Alan Reid at right-back - he looks a downgrade on Ross Meechan - Alan Cook was frustrating and Thomas Halleran didn't get into the game but these are quibbles at this stage.

As for Albion Rovers, I don't like saying it but it's one of the worst Rovers sides I've seen since I started watching Stenny in 2004. Even when they're not a great side, you still get bags of fight and intensity from them but the quality and the commitment was lacking tonight. They didn't force Graeme Smith into making a save, they didn't give Neill or Jesus Garcia Tena anything to think about, they were just there, on the pitch. I think it could be a very long season at Cliftonhill.

Smith made a save in the first half, it was hit straight at him around the speed of a snail but he still saved it.

I actually thought Rovers have the makings of a good defence but there are 2 problems -

1. The keeper was awful, all over the shop at crosses
  2. They are dreadful in midfield and attack. No point in having a solid back 4 if the 1 behind and 6 in front are going to continually give the ball away.

I was reminded of Brogans 1991 2nd Division title winning Stirling side by Rovers tonight - keep it tight at the back and then nick a goal. The main difference being that 1991 side had lower league stars like Jim Kerr, Vinnie Moore and Davie Lloyd, 28 years later he's got a squad of Davie Shanks.

Stenny had all of the pressure and missed a good few chances before the last 40 minutes became a kickabout. Hope the Albion left back is OK, heard he was off to hospital after that head knock at the end of the first half. Sounded nasty from the stand.

Thought Rovers were certs for Club 42 status before tonight and I saw nothing to make me change my mind. Although one wee bright spark for them is that the sub at the end, Greene I think, put in more effort and attacking flair in his first 4 minutes on the pitch than in the previous hour.

She started harranging the deaf pensioner in the front row after coming back from the tunnel, giving it the "My sons off to hospital and you were saying he was acting it - keep your mouth shut next time" routine.

Oh and he wasn't there - I had my feet on the seat in front for most of the game!!! :thumsup2

Would definetly like to see a wee change to the team on Saturday. Get a few a run out. I’d go with 

Doohan 

Ferguson Rose Bell Harvie

McGuffie Murdoch McCowan McDaid

Moore Shankland 

Subs : Hare-Reid, Geggan, Baird, Kerr, Forrest, Moffat, Murphy

Archived