League Cup 18/19 - Group E

7 minutes ago, madton said:

What kind of changes can we really make? We only have McHugh and a few of the dev boys. Can't imagine Gaston is ready as he has only been back training less than a week.

Waddell went off injured which is a concern so back 4 will prob be Kilday, Buchanan, Iredale, Strapp.

Millar feeling his hamstring too according to Ray,  so it's possible he'll be rested. 

Waddel, Kiday both feeling the effects. I expect Strapp to come in and one of those two to drop out. 

I'd like to see McAllister to come back into the centre of the park as well. 

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm hoping we'll be returning to a back four and seeing a much improved performance as a result, but if Gaston's still out we'll be needing to score four or five to get a result anyway.
Your hounding of Scully as this season's scapegoat after one game is extremely peculiar. The errors by him were definitely errors but they weren't exactly errors as bad as have been made in both the champions league and world cup finals this summer.

From the highlights he seemed to have a decent game and he made two wrong decisions, something Gaston is just as capable of making.

4 minutes ago, port-ton said:

Your hounding of Scully as this season's scapegoat after one game is extremely peculiar. The errors by him were definitely errors but they weren't exactly errors as bad as have been made in both the champions league and world cup finals this summer.

From the highlights he seemed to have a decent game and he made two wrong decisions, something Gaston is just as capable of making.

I find it utterly bizarre as well. 

The elder of the two left the game almost as angry as he was in his famous video. 

36 minutes ago, port-ton said:

Yes, all goalkeepers including the very best make bad mistakes from time to time, be it through a rare poor decision, a momentary lapse in concentration or just an occasional fumble.

When a goalkeeper completely misses a harmless cross trundling into the net then stands in the middle of nowhere to present an easy finish in the space of 30 minutes, with those with more knowledge of him saying this is routine on his part, I'm inclined to fear we're looking at a goalkeeper lacking the basic abilities required to play at this level rather than someone making an uncharacteristic error.

If I'm wrong and he turns out to be a solid option - as Andy McNeil did when he came to us with a poor reputation - I'll be delighted that we've got two solid options, but we've been told by fans who've watched Scully regularly that he's terrible and we've just watched him have a terrible performance, giving away two completely unacceptable goals worthy of Stefan Gonet at Clyde. You'll forgive me if I conclude on the basis of all the available evidence that this is more akin to Lee Robinson having a typical Lee Robinson performance than Hugo Lloris trying to skin someone, and hope we put the goalkeeper who we know makes the occasional error but has proved himself to be mostly dependable for several years in his place.

Just seen Tumilty's signed and is eligible for tonight. Straight into the team please, a back four along with Millar and McAlister in central midfield should give us a much better idea of how we're going to look this season. 

23 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Just seen Tumilty's signed and is eligible for tonight. Straight into the team please, a back four along with Millar and McAlister in central midfield should give us a much better idea of how we're going to look this season. 

This, although not sure if Millar will play. Hopefully he does, though. 

To commemorate the sad passing of former manager, hall of fame inductee and Thistle legend, David McParland, there will be a minute’s applause held ahead of kick-off at tonight’s Betfred Cup game against Greenock Morton.

2 hours ago, port-ton said:

I'd be more worried about the defence as a unit, it was like shooty-in in the 2nd half.

We were told big Samson was a pile of shite by all and sundry and some remained unconvinced throughout his time at Somerset, he's had a decent career since turning it round at the Stadium of Delight, I tend to worry about what players are like in an Ayr jersey rather than what's went before, for all the slagging of Scully, quite a few Ayr fans would have given him the Ton MOM.

1 hour ago, Dunning1874 said:

Yeah def needs to start. Something like this maybe for tonight;

Scully.

Tumilty Kilday Buchanan Iredale

Telfer Millar Tidser

McAlister                                MacLean                    

Oliver

Shame we don't have Jai signed up as he would be ideal to play up top behind those 5.

Team badly needs a bit of width now. Would much prefer Jim in the middle but we have no one else to play out wide at the moment.

I'd be more worried about the defence as a unit, it was like shooty-in in the 2nd half.
We were told big Samson was a pile of shite by all and sundry and some remained unconvinced throughout his time at Somerset, he's had a decent career since turning it round at the Stadium of Delight, I tend to worry about what players are like in an Ayr jersey rather than what's went before, for all the slagging of Scully, quite a few Ayr fans would have given him the Ton MOM.

He was by far Morton’s best player on Saturday. Made a good save from Shanklands free kick then made a point blank save from Crawford. It could’ve been 5 or 6 without his saves or if we’d buried a couple of sitters.

Although the second goal looks bad I can sympathise with him as he’s clearly waiting for McGuffie to take a shot when he’d be better off diving and taking the man and the ball. The 3rd one is worse as Shankland is being hounded by the Morton defender so there was no need for Scully to come charging out.

Thistle Side: Bell, Elliott, Penrice, O'Ware, McGinty, Spittal, Doolan, Erskine, Storer, Gordon, Slater

Thistle Subs: Sneddon, McCarthy, Storey, Wilson, Fitzpatrick

Morton side: Scully, Tumilty, Iredale, Buchanan, Kilday, Telfer, Millar, McAlister, McHugh, Tidser, MacLean

Morton subs: Gaston, Oliver, Strapp, Langan, Armour, Hynes, Purdue

Welcome home Ryan Scissorhands!

Archived