League Cup 18/19 - Group E

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Scully was Mortons best player, if it wasn't for him in the first half it would have been a cricket score.    Morton are pish, relegation beckons for that lot if they don't get some new signings.

I dont think three at the back is going to work for us. We need to sign a proper RB and get Kilday as far away from the team as possible. We also need Johnstone back ASAP as Oliver is guff.

2 decent early goals then it was a kick about. Delightful finish for the second. Like the look of Storer too. Can't comment on the new defenders as they had nothing go do really but I'd fancy them to be better than what we had least season. So good to still have Dools and the Bridge playing for us.

He made one good save in the first half. The second save from Shankland in the first half was one which looks good but if it goes in you're furious with a goalkeeper for failing to keep it out, and he's tipped it back out into the six yard box rather than round the post.

Ayr were obviously utterly dominant today and 3-1 flattered us, but the fact remains that any professional goalkeeper should be gathering the second goal without any trouble at all, while he was utterly ridiculous at the third. Still a good finish from Shankland, but Scully's just charged out his goal and stood in the middle of fucking nowhere making no attempt to shut down Shankland's angle. Two pieces of absolutely horrendous goalkeeping.

Obviously if we were to play like that every week we'll be hurtling towards relegation, but I'm not overly concerned although I'm disappointed in it. We've been spending pre-season preparing for playing a back four and without having a first choice right back signed McKinnon's decided to experiment with a back three, with the consequence of no one in the defence or midfield having a clue what they're supposed to be doing. Obviously Ayr's midfield were excellent (particularly Murdoch naturally) in running over the top of ours, while McCall saw how much we were struggling with balls behind the wing backs in the first half and sent them out to specifically target those gaps, which was excellent management with the consequence of the second half turning into an onslaught where Ayr looked like scoring with every attack. However I'm hopeful that McKinnon's taken one look at that and will put the idea of a back three in the bin having seen we don't have the personnel for it, and we won't be that hopeless playing a system the players are more familiar with.

At least I hope they haven't really had much work on their shape in a 3-5-2, because if they have actually worked on that then turned in that performance we really do have problems.

Comfortable enough. After the first 10 minutes, it’s was a pretty brutal game though.

Weirdly I thought that (his two goals aside), Gordon didn’t contribute very much. His second was a thing of beauty though. McGinty looks an accident waiting to happen, hopefully he’ll be a lot better when the season starts. Storer looks a player. Very raw but showed signs that he could be very important for us this season. Slater was the best player on the park, for me. Everything went through him.

Very strange if that Keown thing is true, especially considering Storey came on today (and looked horrendous, again). He’s probably the best CB at the club just now, and if we’re paying a considerable wage for him then we might as well use him. Only thing I can think of is to try and avoid him picking up any injuries which would scupper any forthcoming approach from Yinited.

He made one good save in the first half. The second save from Shankland in the first half was one which looks good but if it goes in you're furious with a goalkeeper for failing to keep it out, and he's tipped it back out into the six yard box rather than round the post.
Ayr were obviously utterly dominant today and 3-1 flattered us, but the fact remains that any professional goalkeeper should be gathering the second goal without any trouble at all, while he was utterly ridiculous at the third. Still a good finish from Shankland, but Scully's just charged out his goal and stood in the middle of fucking nowhere making no attempt to shut down Shankland's angle. Two pieces of absolutely horrendous goalkeeping.
Obviously if we were to play like that every week we'll be hurtling towards relegation, but I'm not overly concerned although I'm disappointed in it. We've been spending pre-season preparing for playing a back four and without having a first choice right back signed McKinnon's decided to experiment with a back three, with the consequence of no one in the defence or midfield having a clue what they're supposed to be doing. Obviously Ayr's midfield were excellent (particularly Murdoch naturally) in running over the top of ours, while McCall saw how much we were struggling with balls behind the wing backs in the first half and sent them out to specifically target those gaps, which was excellent management with the consequence of the second half turning into an onslaught where Ayr looked like scoring with every attack. However I'm hopeful that McKinnon's taken one look at that and will put the idea of a back three in the bin having seen we don't have the personnel for it, and we won't be that hopeless playing a system the players are more familiar with.
At least I hope they haven't really had much work on their shape in a 3-5-2, because if they have actually worked on that then turned in that performance we really do have problems.

To be fair, I’m not reading much into today either as I’m sure you won’t play like that when the league starts. Some of the football we played obviously a confidence booster for the side though as you were barely getting a touch of the ball at times second half.

Still think we’ll surprise a few this year, our front six today are all superb football players. Murdoch complemented Kerr’s lack of pace well - Kerr carried on his form from last season.

Expected us to play well today and hoped for a win but amazed by how good the performance was and how easy it was to win today.

Played the ball about phenomenally with Murdoch and Kerr running the show in the middle of the park. Shankland was just Shankland and absolutely destroyed Mortons defence.

Early days but we look as if we could have a decent season if we play like that every week and Morton look in trouble if that's their best team because they were dire. As for Scully oh dear, all I can say is glad we never signed him.

Only the first competitive game of the season though for either team so I'm sure a lot will change in the coming weeks and months.

Murdoch looks an excellent signing. Don’t think he wasted a ball and with Kerr beside him we knocked the ball about quite well.

First half was decent. We probably should’ve scored through Crawford but the keeper made a good save and I couldn’t see if Moffat was offside or not so I can’t really comment.

The free kick from Tidser was purely down to not enough bodies in the ball. I think a more experienced keeper might’ve been prepared to get down low but I’m not laying any blame on Doohan for the goal and he looked ok for the rest of the match.

Second half was much better. We were totally dominant and it was 3 goals going on 6 or 7 with the chances we created. Shankland, McGuffie and Moore all missed good chances but it didn’t matter as Shankland scored a good hat trick.

Thought Shankland was a bit quiet in the first half but I’m putting that down to him playing against proper footballers rather than League 1 journeymen. Second half he ran riot. The third goal in particular was great although Scully didn’t need to come off his line as one of the centre half’s wasn’t letting him run through.

All in all a pretty pleasing result with 14 good performances however I’m not looking too much into it as Morton were missing a few players and I’d think they’ll be adding to their squad in the coming weeks although if we play like that all season we’ll do alright.

52 minutes ago, GrahamJags said:

Very strange if that Keown thing is true, especially considering Storey came on today (and looked horrendous, again). He’s probably the best CB at the club just now, and if we’re paying a considerable wage for him then we might as well use him. Only thing I can think of is to try and avoid him picking up any injuries which would scupper any forthcoming approach from Yinited.

I should probably clarify he said it was a board decision rather than Archie and if it was up to him he'd play here. I'm guessing there's some kind of appearance bonus he's on. 

Miles Storey was utter garbage today and I'm fully off the "he'll score 20 goals in the championship because he can run fast" train. 

I should probably clarify he said it was a board decision rather than Archie and if it was up to him he'd play here. I'm guessing there's some kind of appearance bonus he's on. 
Miles Storey was utter garbage today and I'm fully off the "he'll score 20 goals in the championship because he can run fast" train. 

Makes a bit more sense then. Hopefully we get rid soon enough then, surprised a Premiership team haven’t taken him. Was more than capable in that league.

Storey was garbage, but he isn’t a winger in a million years, which was abundantly clear to everyone except Archie last year, apparently. Play him up front, and I think he’ll be a lot better, especially in the Championship.

1 hour ago, IainMorton said:

Also fair play to the Ayr fan who gave a “suck it” towards us after the third goal. Who knew that was still a thing?

EFA45200-0F93-4908-87B1-7EFA9D774AF6.gif

giphy.gif

Spoiler

All 3 goals

Storey’s at his best when playing as a centre forward and pulling wide, into space behind the full-back, because he is all about trying to isolate and commit a centre back into a foot race.  

If he starts as a winger then he has nowhere to go because he’s already marked by the full back.

Archived