League Cup 18/19 - Group E

Partick Thistle, Morton, Albion Rovers, Ayr United, Stenhousemuir - discuss.

Will know more when we eventually appoint a manager. Played Albion Rovers two seasons ago at this stage - both of us won at Killie IIRC.

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bit annoying that we will have to play Ayr and Morton 5 times but if we get stenny away I’ll be happy don’t really care if we qualify or not cause we will do nothing significant in the cups anyway 

We have a  really decent record in the group stages of this completion. First year we finished 2nd and went through as one of the best runner's up, last year we won the group winning all our games. There is no reason why we can't do similar again.

Hoping for Partick Thistle (H), Morton (A), Albion Rovers (H), Stenhousemuir (A).

My predictions assuming McKinnon does the business as expected:

1. Morton
  2. Partick Thistle
  3. Ayr United
  4. Stenhousemuir
  5. Albion Rovers

I have a feeling Partick will struggle this season similarly to other Premiership teams who come down to the Championship

Monday 4th June, 2018 at 4:04pm

Thistle’s Betfred Cup Group Stage fixtures were announced a short while ago and are as follows:

Saturday 14th July

Stenhousemuir v Partick Thistle – 15:00

Tuesday 17th July

Partick Thistle v Morton – 19:45

Tuesday 24th July

Albion Rovers v Partick Thistle – 19:45

Saturday 28th July

Partick Thistle v Ayr United – 15:00

What an uninspiring set of fixtures. Better make the most of Stenny away!

I think Ayr are essentially going to be the kingmakers in this group, especially given they'll be playing Morton and Partick on the first and last day of the group stages. If Partick end up dropping points, such as at home to us or away at Albion Rovers, then they may end up needing to beat Ayr to go through. If we can beat Ayr on the opening day then avoid defeat to Partick then I'd make us very slight favourites to win the group. Likewise if we draw with Ayr and lose to Partick then we're humped.

On 6/5/2018 at 23:02, Chris_the_rover said:

I think we are here to make up the numbers this season

We've got two away trips to Ayr and Partick to start with. If McKinnon royally fucks this up you could well be fancying your chances of winning one of our dead rubbers.

• 5 weeks later...

See this thread is buzzing :lol:. We’ve had a relatively ok pre season so far and I can see this beinh treated much the same. Still working out players etc. Imagine we’ll lineup something like this for Morton

Hare-Reid

Geggan Rose Bell Harvie

McDaid Crawford Adams Forrest 

Moore Shankland 

Forrest having a really good pre season so I can see him getting the nod for this one and pushing Crawford in to centre mid. Could also see Murdoch replace Adams if he signs.

I’d actually forgotten this thread had been made.

I’m absolutely buzzing for Saturday. First competitive game and hopefully we get off to a good start.

At the moment I think we’ll line up like this.

Hare-Reid

Geggan Rose Bell Harvie

McDaid Kerr Adams Crawford

Moffat Shankland

Subs; Mitchell, Ecrepont, Faulds, McGuffie, Murphy, Forrest, Moore

Obviously things can change if we sign a goalie or if Murdoch signs but at the moment I’d start with this.

Looking forward to getting the competitive action started and a good chance to compare where we are against a team in the same division as us. I still think we are 3 or 4 players short of having a team capable of being competitive in the championship but fingers crossed that’s rectified in the next couple of weeks.

We’ve had Andy Murdoch training with us the past couple of weeks and he’s played as a trialist in all our friendlies so let’s hope we can get him tied up before Saturday as he really would be a fantastic signing. The search for a goalkeeper still goes on, McCrorie from Rangers looked like a goer but with Rangers already gotten rid of one keeper with another apparently set to follow that deal may be dead. 

Teamwise, McCall has said Chris Higgins and Ross Docherty wont be ready till the end of July/beginning of August. Bell and Kerr have been on holiday so didn’t feature in any of our friendlies but pretty sure they’re back for Saturday 

Personally i’d go: 

Hare-Reid 

Geggan Rose Bell Harvie 

McDaid Kerr Crawford Forrest 

Moore Shankland 

Subs; Mitchell, Ecrepont, Faulds, Adams, McGuffie, Murphy, Moffat 

Archived