League Cup Group C

RiG

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well it is always better to receive praise from the opposition. However PB1994 - Nine points is often not enough to qualify. Our first target is to get the nine points - with hopefully a goal difference of +7 or 8 - and then we can start doing the sums (or our anoraks can) and by the evening of the 28th we will know exactly what is required on the 29th. To say that our present situation is considerably better than last season is an understatement.

Lazy copy and paste from CTO.

A strangely unconvincing 5 - 2 win. We were slow out the blocks and took a long time to settle. The surface was poor which could be an excuse for some of the misplaced passes but some of the players still look like they need to blow the cobwebs away as there was some sloppy passages of play and a few defensive errors that fortunately weren't punished. 

All too often the final ball or cross was played behind a team mate or didn't get past the opposition player so it was perhaps not surprise when Cowdenbeath took the lead when Sheerin crashed a fine effort in from the edge of the area. Missed our equaliser as I had to help @alternative maryhill with directions to the pie shop but Walsh got his first competitive goal for the club and then bagged his second when he collected the ball inside the home half and head goalwards before sending a low drive in off the post. A fortunate but welcome lead.

We were even more fortunate with our third when a suspiciously offside looking White won a high ball knocking down for Doran and he was able to steer the ball past McGurn.

Into the second half and Doran was in the thick of the action again. Heading towards the left hand post he tangled with a home player and went down but the referee waved play on. We added a fourth after McGurn did well to keep out a White effort from only a few yards out but before he could recover Oakley lashed in a fine strike. 

Not so fine was the 5th goal which again looked like it might have been offside. Trafford hit a low drive from outside the box and it hit Doran who was trudging back out from the previous attack. With McGurn committed to his right the ball then went to his left with the deflection and ICT somehow found themselves 5 - 1 up.

Cowdenbeath netted a consolation when Sheerin nabbed his second from close range after Mckay (I think) got into a bit of a mess trying to defend a loose ball. It was almost 5 - 3 when the home side saw their final shot of the game cleared by Tremarco.

As I say above the scoreline looks good but it wasn't a great performance by any means. That said, Walsh looked impressive particularly when he appeared through the middle but too often he was stuck wide right. Austin had a very quiet game, very little came off for him so it wasn't much of a shock when he was subbed. Donaldson and Tremarco looked solid enough at the back but Mckay struggled under pressure and Rooney regressed as the game went on.

A few days rest now for the players which is probably coming at a good time ahead of the next competitive match against Raith.

1 hour ago, RiG said:

Lazy copy and paste from CTO.

A strangely unconvincing 5 - 2 win. We were slow out the blocks and took a long time to settle. The surface was poor which could be an excuse for some of the misplaced passes but some of the players still look like they need to blow the cobwebs away as there was some sloppy passages of play and a few defensive errors that fortunately weren't punished. 

All too often the final ball or cross was played behind a team mate or didn't get past the opposition player so it was perhaps not surprise when Cowdenbeath took the lead when Sheerin crashed a fine effort in from the edge of the area. Missed our equaliser as I had to help @alternative maryhill with directions to the pie shop but Walsh got his first competitive goal for the club and then bagged his second when he collected the ball inside the home half and head goalwards before sending a low drive in off the post. A fortunate but welcome lead.

We were even more fortunate with our third when a suspiciously offside looking White won a high ball knocking down for Doran and he was able to steer the ball past McGurn.

Into the second half and Doran was in the thick of the action again. Heading towards the left hand post he tangled with a home player and went down but the referee waved play on. We added a fourth after McGurn did well to keep out a White effort from only a few yards out but before he could recover Oakley lashed in a fine strike. 

Not so fine was the 5th goal which again looked like it might have been offside. Trafford hit a low drive from outside the box and it hit Doran who was trudging back out from the previous attack. With McGurn committed to his right the ball then went to his left with the deflection and ICT somehow found themselves 5 - 1 up.

Cowdenbeath netted a consolation when Sheerin nabbed his second from close range after Mckay (I think) got into a bit of a mess trying to defend a loose ball. It was almost 5 - 3 when the home side saw their final shot of the game cleared by Tremarco.

As I say above the scoreline looks good but it wasn't a great performance by any means. That said, Walsh looked impressive particularly when he appeared through the middle but too often he was stuck wide right. Austin had a very quiet game, very little came off for him so it wasn't much of a shock when he was subbed. Donaldson and Tremarco looked solid enough at the back but Mckay struggled under pressure and Rooney regressed as the game went on.

A few days rest now for the players which is probably coming at a good time ahead of the next competitive match against Raith.

Decent report. We built the play quite well in spells but your forwards had just a bit too much pace in the end.

only thing I don’t totally agree on is your assessment of the defence. Appeared last night to me to be the weakest area of your team. 

All the best anyway. 

7 hours ago, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:

Well it is always better to receive praise from the opposition. However PB1994 - Nine points is often not enough to qualify. Our first target is to get the nine points - with hopefully a goal difference of +7 or 8 - and then we can start doing the sums (or our anoraks can) and by the evening of the 28th we will know exactly what is required on the 29th. To say that our present situation is considerably better than last season is an understatement.

It's only happened once. When Peterhead finished 2nd with 9 points and never qualified.

36 minutes ago, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:

So if it happened once it could happen again ;)

I never said it couldn't happen again but saying 9 points is often not enough to qualify is clearly not true.

So as I said originally, we have a very good chance of qualifying if we beat Raith no matter what happens in the Hearts game.

30 minutes ago, RiG said:

Goals from COwdenbeath v ICT on Instagram.

Few folk were saying the 3rd was handball and the 5th was offside.  Handball would have been harsh and I think he's just onside.  Cheers for posting this.

Archived