League Cup Group C

RiG

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Was a bit daft to send out a press release explaining the decision if that's the case.

Daft from the SPFL. Either there should be no punishment or Cove should be awarded a 3-0 victory. As SD points out, it's clearly been done to try and ensure the Hearts vs ICT game on BT isn't a dead rubber.

We'll probably beat Cowdenbeath 2-1 and Inverness will beat Raith 3-0, leaving us needing a 6 goal victory on Sunday. The SPFL have underestimated our shiteness.

10 minutes ago, vince sinclair said:

Ironic that Irving’s father was the player involved when this happened to us many years ago

Feck me - add the hereditary argument to my previous post.

13 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

If you're being serious, you're an idiot.

If this was meant to be funny, then you tried *way* too hard.

I am a seriously funny idiot.

36 minutes ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

Cowden Cowboy living in real and sensible world whilst poet plays to the punter gallery as ever.

I'm sorry but I dont agree. It was a serious enough offence under the previous version of the rules to warrant mandatory expulsion and the tie being awarded to the other team. Now its suddenly 2/3rds of a points earned deduction and nothing to Cove? Its a complete fudge. Either dock them the points they got or dont dock any points. Docking some of the points leaves it open for people to (almost certainly correctly) presume it was contrived to keep Hearts fate in their own hands.

We'll probably beat Cowdenbeath 2-1 and Inverness will beat Raith 3-0, leaving us needing a 6 goal victory on Sunday. The SPFL have underestimated our shiteness.

You’d only need a 4 goal victory if it worked out like that.

Surely if Caley give Raith a hiding we're fucked anyway?

The only things that have 'saved' us are the Caley game being on telly. (Don't think BT would fancy it in front of an empty stadium) and the SPFL potentially losing out on their cut of the gate money.

Where does the fine money go? and why do Cove appear to be unpopular?

Surely if Caley give Raith a hiding we're fucked anyway?

The only things that have 'saved' us are the Caley game being on telly. (Don't think BT would fancy it in front of an empty stadium) and the SPFL potentially losing out on their cut of the gate money.

Where does the fine money go? and why do Cove appear to be unpopular?

I’ve no idea where the fine money goes. Cove don’t appear to be unpopular. They are unpopular. They have no class whatsoever and think talking wins games. They forget games are won/lost on the pitch. When they don’t win they look for excuses and blame everyone else bar themselves. Question referees honesty etc. etc. Horrible club with horrible fans.

Edit to add- Typical insular Aberdeen attitude.

I'm sorry but I dont agree. It was a serious enough offence under the previous version of the rules to warrant mandatory expulsion and the tie being awarded to the other team. Now its suddenly 2/3rds of a points earned deduction and nothing to Cove? Its a complete fudge. Either dock them the points they got or dont dock any points. Docking some of the points leaves it open for people to (almost certainly correctly) presume it was contrived to keep Hearts fate in their own hands.

Well it's more or less what I expected to happen so seems I am more in tune with the thinking of those making the decisions. Firstly this is not a knockout stage so anything like this effects 5 clubs potentially not 2 - both in terms of Group and financially. Previous ineligible subs not fielded produced £2k fines in the Betfred. Here you have an ineligible sub playing for 25 minutes or so - fine is the same £2k up front and additionally 2 points. No real precedent so why rail against it - it now sets a marker.

1 hour ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

Well it's more or less what I expected to happen so seems I am more in tune with the thinking of those making the decisions. Firstly this is not a knockout stage so anything like this effects 5 clubs potentially not 2 - both in terms of Group and financially. Previous ineligible subs not fielded produced £2k fines in the Betfred. Here you have an ineligible sub playing for 25 minutes or so - fine is the same £2k up front and additionally 2 points. No real precedent so why rail against it - it now sets a marker.

As Flash has already pointed out, it affects a lot more than 5 clubs. It affects every club who could potentially be competing with Hearts or Inverness (or even Cowdenbeath) for a best 2nd place spot.

I wasn't conscious of the example of previously ineligible unused subs being £2k fines though I see both Cove and Stranraer received such in 2016 now I've looked. I do think actually fielding the player makes the offence worse and it's hard to justify a part points deduction. If it's not serious enough to warrant setting aside all the points it should be none for me. I don't really get the rationale for allowing them part of the points they won but as you say, it does set a marker.

16 hours ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Was a bit daft to send out a press release explaining the decision if that's the case.

Daft from the SPFL. Either there should be no punishment or Cove should be awarded a 3-0 victory. As SD points out, it's clearly been done to try and ensure the Hearts vs ICT game on BT isn't a dead rubber.

Sorry, I must have missed the part in the SPFL statement that explained your final point.

13 minutes ago, The Minertaur said:

I'm putting my mortgage on Cowdenbeath to gain revenge tonight.

Hearts 0 - 10 Cowdenbeath.

I see we now have 3 of your line up that day (Thomson, Wedderburn and Milne) on our books now.

Hopefully our heroic draw on Saturday has given them some closure.

15 hours ago, DC92 said:

Think it goes on head to head first?

Archived