League Cup 2018/19 Group G

Yep as stated apart from the goalkeeper and Kevin Nicoll Clyde didn't offer much.  With Harkins pulling the strings it was always going to be a case of when we were going to score and then how many once we did.

Good luck to the Bully Wee for the rest of the season.

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lets be honest we are not going to win the thing, for me the best  thing we can gain from this competition is  to get some competitive games under our belt and iron out a few things and be sharper for when the real action starts.

Using that logic, we should do the same in the Scottish Cup?

Much better from us tonight. Not wonderful first half but probably should have been in front. Clyde should have scored at one point but hit the post from about two yards. We hit the bar and their keeper made a couple of great saves.

Second half though was pretty much one way traffic. Dobbie got three and could have had 5 or 6. Keeper made a phenomenal save from Dykes. Murray had one narrowly offside. Could have been anything in the end.

So far so good. If we can win at Edinburgh City we will be well positioned to go through as long as we dont get hammered at Motherwell.

Question to QOS fans. Could Dobbie still cut it in the top flight ? 

He seems to score goals for fun and I remarked to one of my pals tonight that surely he would be a better bet than the 2 strikers we have brought in this window in Sammon and Danny Johnson. 

Anyway looks like the decider for top spot will be a week tonight. 

Excellent hat-trick by Frear tonight, couple of cracking finishes in there which will hopefully do his confidence the world of good. McHugh strolled it at the back and Campbell bossed things in the middle of the park as per. Thought Cadden also had a good first half and his ability to drive forward with the ball was badly missed after the break. 

2nd half was really flat as expected, job was done so the tempo dropped significantly and it just became a glorified training session. As such we didn’t really get to see much from the 3 new boys, although big Alex Gorrin looks like he fair enjoys launching himself into a tackle though. 

Good result should have been more dobbie harkins and Doyle superb Doyle would be my mom.
Impressed with semple look forward to seeing him against better opposition harkins and dobbs a joy to watch.
What's the story with goodwillie he's far to good to be playing at that level

You could see right from the start Gorman and Cogill weren't going to be able to cope tonight. Obviously, most Championship defences struggle with Dobbie anyway but I was a little disappointed by Cogill's performance nevertheless.

Dykes played well for QoS but was allowed far too much space and too many free headers.

Nicoll did better than expected, even doing a reasonable job trying to spread the ball around. Cuddihy put in an excellent shift, especially in the first half, harrying players and picking up loose balls and, while his end product was a little lacking at times, McStay showed how well he can find space in a tight midfield.

It was an odd game in that I was reasonably satisfied with our performance barring how ineffective we were in the final third. However, if Queens had taken their chances it could easily have ended 5, 6 or more.

He seems to score goals for fun and I remarked to one of my pals tonight that surely he would be a better bet than the 2 strikers we have brought in this window in Sammon and Danny Johnson. 
Anyway looks like the decider for top spot will be a week tonight. 

I'm sure it was Stephen Thompson on Sportscene who said he thought Motherwell should go for Dobbie last season. I reckon he'd do a job for Well if given service. I don't think he'll go anywhere now though.

What's the story with goodwillie he's far to good to be playing at that level

Is that a serious question?

Come back to me at the end of September and ask me if I’m worried. I’m certainly not now half way through July after two meaningless cup games (we played well first half vs Edinburgh), did alright first half tonight then got pumped by a much fitter team two divisions above us with a hat trick by a fat goal machine who always scores more than one against us and must be on at least a grand a week. Forget tonight. I will however say I don’t see th consistency in team selection in these games. There is absolutely no chance we signed Boyle and Cogill to take turns on the bench. 

1 hour ago, welldaft said:

Treating it as a serious question, yes, probably. He will be 36 in December but he doesnt depend on pace and he is probably sharper now than he has ever been. However the pace of the game a level up means he certainly wouldnt be the same goal machine. I suspect he would be more likely the sort of player Eremenko was at Kilmarnock, floating around at no 10 behind a striker and once or twice a game doing something genius out of nothing.

However he lives in Lytham and appears to want to finish his career with us. He is under contract for this season and is captain for our Centenary with his sights set very much on 2nd in our all time scorers list (he is now 7 behind that). I'm not convinced he would actually go to a Motherwell level side and I doubt Motherwell would pay us the sort of fee they would need to for a 35 year old to prise him away.

16 minutes ago, Karpaty said:

got pumped by a much fitter team two divisions above us with a hat trick by a fat goal machine

:lol: "fat". He wears a medium shirt.

Aye I heard the word fat used to describe Dobbie from the Clyde support last night as well. Very strange. He's not even remotely fat. Thought Goodwillie looked as though he's put on a few though.

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

Aye I heard the word fat used to describe Dobbie from the Clyde support last night as well. Very strange. He's not even remotely fat. Thought Goodwillie looked as though he's put on a few though.

It always amuses me that. Particularly, when a lot of the time it comes from folk that would struggle to run for a bus.  

I remember a few years back watching a Chelsea game. The camera panned to the crowd. A gentleman who would be considered overweight for sumo shouted “you fat b*****d” at Frank Lampard”.  

I thought Dobbie was looking much trimmer than I remembered and was surprised that he did seem to have a burst of pace left in him now and again. A very good player and thankfully we will not come up against opponents of his quality in our league campaign.

Harkins is a decent player too, not very mobile but capable of moments of genius. He should link up well with Dobbie.

Queens were solid all over the park with quality players who can make the difference in a match. Should be a decent season for you guys.

Clyde fans still not gotten over a fat Stephen Dobbie running riot in the 7-1 drilling, almost 10 years ago.

As Skyline Drifter said, yes he could still cut it at a higher level. He doesn’t need the money, as I’d imagine 10 playing in England has seen him set for life, but enjoys playing his football at Queen where he is literally a god.

1 hour ago, MONKMAN said:

Clyde fans still not gotten over a fat Stephen Dobbie running riot in the 7-1 drilling, almost 10 years ago.

Even by that game, he'd slimmed down a lot as it came at the end of the season which earned him the big move.

In heavier earlier times though he'd also put quite a few past Clyde.

Anyone describing the current version of Dobbie as fat, is clearly something of an idiot.

14 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

:lol:

Archived