League Cup 2018/19 Group G

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

I'm listening on some Motherwell Radio thing - http://mixlr.com/motherwellfc/ and your analysis certainly matches their view.  They have been highly critical of Harkins' performance and it sounds like Chris Cadden has Marshall on toast.

This was always going to be a big test.

Listening to that too. Its pretty decent to be fair.

Sounds like Motherwell deserve their lead. Important we dont lose much more. 9 pts and a +7 GD ought to be enough you would hope but if we lose another 2 or 3 we would be in big trouble.

Edited to add: And its over. 2-0 sounds fairly deserved. Going by commentary it might have been more though Carson made some sort of wonder save from Harkins.

Will have a look at the runner up variables later but there werent many good results for us tonight. This may be tight.

1 hour ago, dezz said:

You were saying?

Fair enough, egg on face regarding Sammon at least. Two very well taken goals from him to his credit. Overall that was a decent enough performance against what was a very competent side. Cadden put in a terrific shift and between him and having Campbell back, drove the side alot better than on Saturday. The second half wasn't the greatest but we were comfortable enough though Carson's brilliant save from point blank range helped massively as a goal for QoS at that point would have made things very uncomfortable for us imo.

We've done what needed done tonight, simple as that and now we need to do the same again on Saturday.

Job done in the end.

Started slowly though and had Carson to thank for several smart saves to keep us level early doors. Once we went in front though it never really looked in doubt- although the one save Carson did make in the 2nd half was absolutely sensational.

Thought Carson, McHugh and Cadden were the top performers for us - what a difference it makes having and on form Cadden driving at defences, his build up play for the first was excellent and what you want to see him doing instead of being stuck at right back.

Up front Sammon was a handful and took both his goals really well, that should hopefully keep the boo boys at bay for a few weeks at least. Hopefully Bowman’s alright as well, an absolute shocker of a challenge from the Queens boy.

A much more enjoyable and professional performance than the one we saw on Saturday, which puts us in strong position to top the group now.

Missed a couple of half chances (Dobbie) and a Semple free header inside the 6 yard box, which he really should have scored at 0-0.

Sammon took his chances well and Carson pulled off a wonder save from Dobbie header.

Thought we were decent enough, with Motherwell being the better team and taking their chances.

9 points and a goal difference of 7 should see us though, barring some unexpected results.

Fair enough, egg on face regarding Sammon at least. Two very well taken goals from him to his credit. Overall that was a decent enough performance against what was a very competent side. Cadden put in a terrific shift and between him and having Campbell back, drove the side alot better than on Saturday. The second half wasn't the greatest but we were comfortable enough though Carson's brilliant save from point blank range helped massively as a goal for QoS at that point would have made things very uncomfortable for us imo.
We've done what needed done tonight, simple as that and now we need to do the same again on Saturday.

To be fair I was less than enthused with his signing and my mind wasn’t exactly changed after the performance against Stranraer, but by all accounts he did well tonight and sounded like he should have had a hattrick.

Glad he’s off the mark fairly early on to keep the boo boys at bay and up his confidence a bit. Tanner referring to him as ‘the baldy Berbatov’ was something I certainly didn’t expect to hear.

26 minutes ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Quick look at leagues, I think we will have done just about enough to qualify in second place even if Motherwell top the group. 

Yeah, I think we're pretty much there looking at it. St Mirren failing to beat Queens Park gets us over the line just about I think.

Motherwell now need to win outright at Clyde to win the group (or draw 4-4 or higher and win the penalty shoot out). Presuming they do so though we're probably still good for a best runner up spot:

We are guaranteed already to be better than the runner up in Group C. We will finish above the runner up in Group B unless Montrose beat Forfar by SEVEN tomorrow. We will finish above the runner up in Group H unless St Mirren beat Dumbarton by EIGHT goals.  We will finish above the runner up in Group F unless Airdrie beat Hamilton by 3 goals.

Even if one of those things happened:
We finish above the runner up in Group A unless County beat Arbroath and then lose to Alloa on penalties.
We finish above the runner up in Group E unless Ayr and Partick draw in 90 minutes or Partick win by a single goal margin.
We finish above the runner up in Group D if Dundee don't win their last two games by a combined five goal margin (or 4 goals whilst scoring at least 9 goals in the two games).

It would take a heck of a combination of results to knock us out. We could even get through tomorrow night if County don't win, Montrose don't win by 7 and Dundee fail to win. Granted that's fairly unlikely.

Motherwell are unlikely to be seeded with a best possible of 10 pts so we won't meet them again in the next round. Dunfermline will likely get 12. So might County (if they beat Arbroath and Alloa) and any winner in the Ayr / Partick game will too. Inverness might still get 12 though they were fortunate tonight and Livingston appear very likely to get 11. St Johnstone should probably also get 11. Motherwell would likely be 6th or 7th of the group winners if they win (and if they don't beat Clyde we'd be the 8th ranked).

Clyde :lol:

4 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Yeah, I think we're pretty much there looking at it. St Mirren failing to beat Queens Park gets us over the line just about I think.

Motherwell now need to win outright at Clyde to win the group (or draw 4-4 or higher and win the penalty shoot out). Presuming they do so though we're probably still good for a best runner up spot:

We are guaranteed already to be better than the runner up in Group C. We will finish above the runner up in Group B unless Montrose beat Forfar by SEVEN tomorrow. We will finish above the runner up in Group H unless St Mirren beat Dumbarton by EIGHT goals.  We will finish above the runner up in Group F unless Airdrie beat Hamilton by 3 goals.

Even if one of those things happened:
We finish above the runner up in Group A unless County beat Arbroath and then lose to Alloa on penalties.
We finish above the runner up in Group E unless Ayr and Partick draw in 90 minutes.
We finish above the runner up in Group D if Dundee don't win their last two games by a combined five goal margin (or 4 goals whilst scoring at least 9 goals in the two games).

It would take a heck of a combination of results to knock us out. We could even get through tomorrow night if County don't win, Montrose don't win by 7 and Dundee fail to win. Granted that's fairly unlikely.

Motherwell are unlikely to be seeded with a best possible of 10 pts so we won't meet them again in the next round. Dunfermline will likely get 12. So might County (if they beat Arbroath and Alloa) and any winner in the Ayr / Partick game will too. Inverness might still get 12 though they were fortunate tonight and Livingston appear very likely to get 11. St Johnstone should probably also get 11. Motherwell would likely be 6th or 7th of the group winners if they win (and if they don't beat Clyde we'd be the 8th ranked).

Would a 1 goal defeat for Ayr not see them finish above us ? 

Gary Harkins really annoys me. Scottish football needs more players like him because he clearly has ability but I can’t help but feel if he lost a bit of weight earlier in his career he could have played at a better level.

Queens had a few good chances tonight but Sammon should have got his hat-trick as well. Decent enough game but too many aimless punts from us, especially in the second half. I’m all for McHugh staying at centre half for us as well.

1 minute ago, Gianfranco said:

Gary Harkins really annoys me. Scottish football needs more players like him because he clearly has ability but I can’t help but feel if he lost a bit of weight earlier in his career he could have played at a better level.

Queens had a few good chances tonight but Sammon should have got his hat-trick as well. Decent enough game but too many aimless punts from us, especially in the second half.

Wasn't there tonight but as cammy said above, Sammon battered us for Partick in the Scottish Cup last season and was the reason we lost that game (scored both). Not particularly surprised to hear he's done it again (and scored both goals). We don't really deal with that sort of battering ram striker very well.

Semple mauling Bowman was probably the best thing he did up to that point. He got bullied by him and got Sammon into great positions. After that he started to look a lot more confident though the game was over.

I get that the depth isn’t there but playing a 4-4-2 against that Motherwell side was asking for trouble. Marshall was roasted time and again by Cadden and Tait and wasn’t getting much protection as Jacobs and Doyle  were initially on the other side covering  Mercer.  I appreciate that you want to have a go but when you are playing a better side away from home some sort of caution would be needed. We finally neutralised Motherwell when we had Doyle and Jacobs as a defensive pair but again the game was done by then and we created little.

That Mercer run that led to the great Carson save defied all sense and logic. I believe that he now owns  the soul of whoever he floored.

He gave the ball away leading to the second goal but some of those touches by Harkins were delicious. Shame we don’t get to play nonentities like Clyde every week.

Guest Flash
41 minutes ago, Broony88 said:

Clyde :lol:

Would a 1 goal defeat for Ayr not see them finish above us ? 

Would a 2 goal defeat of 5-3 or higher not also see them finish above us? If they lose 4-2, I think they will have the same goal difference, goals scored and away goals scored as us. And the same number of wins. If both teams aren’t through, that would mean the drawing of lots. I think.

Archived