League Cup 2018/19 Group B

St. Johnstone, Falkirk, East Fife, Montrose and Forfar Athletic, this could be the "Group of Meh" or actually quite exciting???

It is a bit same old, same old for me with regards to being in the same group as Forfar and Montrose and I'm sure they're probably thinking the same thing as we're going to be meeting each other another 4 times in the League this season, but they could be the most exciting games in the group, but then again they could be pish as we probably won't all have our players all signed up by then, and the Falkirk and Saints games are unlikely to be the money spinners that we hoped for, but we're all within decent travelling distance of each other so there is that, no stupid midweeks up to Cove or Elgin which is all that it's got going for it at the moment!!!

Hopefully be more up for it the closer we get to the actual games!!!

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We usually get away attendances totalling 1,000 away to "diddy" clubs in the Cups. Over 1,100 at Albion Rovers last season, over 1,000 at Elgin and just under that figure at Brechin. East Fife will be a new ground for some folk so should break the 1k barrier there, is that a big crowd for them? 

Against Stirling in our last home game in the Group Stage we got 3,000.

If it follows the same path as our last fixtures we'll be... Forfar (A), Falkirk (H), Montrose (A), East Fife (H)

We should be winning the group, Falkirk should cause issues but even then we should beat the other three. We did fail to beat Brechin last time though. Excited to see Craig Thomson for East Fife, 80 minutes of anonymity but he'll deliver one good cross and some of our fans will spend the next six months ranting about him being released.

Good draw, never been to Links Park and Forfar is always a good trip. 

The regionalisation of the tournament is completely unnecessary, and I imagine could result in regular match ups between the same teams which would limit its appeal.  We had Falkirk at home 2 seasons ago, so at least a reversal of the fixture should happen for variety.

Expect Falkirk will be much tougher opponents this time round.

Looking forward to it.

I don't think there is enough evidence to have real certainty over what the fixtures will be, other than first seeds being at home to second seeds. And certainly not the order of the games.

Montrose will be something different and a first meeting since 1996. They've only visited McDiarmid twice (both that year) and Saints haven't been at Links Park competitively since 1988. Personally, I've been there a couple of times; a friendly in 2008 and a Reserve League East game around the same time.

Forfar and East Fife are both more familiar and obviously we met Falkirk in this competition last time we entered at this stage. I agree they will be a harder prospect this time.

Given our home form, finishing as one of the four best group winners needn't be a priority!

18 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

This is bollocks tbf.

ETA: Attendances 

Elgin - Saints 1046

Brechin - St Johnstone 912

We did sell out our attendance at Albion of over 1000, but that was the Scottish Cup which is obviously much more prestigious. 

You've just said exactly what I said. I've maybe wording it wrong, as I wasn't suggesting we take over 1000 to these games, just that the total attendance was over 1000.

8 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

@tree house tam just googled that pub, first hit is about a murder in it with a pool cue... Brannigans is closed as well which is a shame, great place. 

Everything went on in that pub and I mean everything . Leven used to decent for a laugh, woke up on the beach there a few times after nights out, 1 was even a night out in Edinburgh, didn't have a clue about how I ended up there until my mate from methil phoned the next day :lol:

Absolutely shocked to see that the Saints haven't been to the Nue Bayview yet, I was sure we've played there before, must have been pre-season friendlies!!!
If the game is there and they decide to make the game all ticket, you're allocation would be 999, I would assume (guess) your board and team comps would eat around 150 of those so you're talking around 850 tickets, reckon you'll fill it???

1 minute ago, King Kebab said:

Absolutely shocked to see that the Saints haven't been to the Nue Bayview yet, I was sure we've played there before, must have been pre-season friendlies!!!
If the game is there and they decide to make the game all ticket, you're allocation would be 999, I would assume (guess) your board and team comps would eat around 150 of those so you're talking around 850 tickets, reckon you'll fill it???

Aye we've been for a couple of pre season friendlies. Good view, shite legroom. We should take around 750 I'd imagine, it's basically a pre season kick about.

Aye we've been for a couple of pre season friendlies. Good view, shite legroom. We should take around 750 I'd imagine, it's basically a pre season kick about.

The view is even better now, they've taken that national symbol of industrialisation now, if the game is pish you can always stare off into the distance, to the Crusoe and wish you were there!!!

, it's basically a pre season kick about.

Love it when the "big team" get their excuses in early!!![emoji1][emoji1]

We will win, of that there is no doubt and we are a bigger club, sorry*  if this offends you.

*No I'm not, were fucking massive m8.

IMG_3553.jpg

I felt like we'd played St Johnstone a few times over recent years but it must be my mind going as I can only really remember a League Cup game at McDiarmid that was probably not far off 10 years ago now. Might have been a few pre-season friendlies right enough. Craig Thomson has been released so Saints fans will miss out on wondering what could have been. It'll be nice to see Jason Kerr. He was brilliant for us. Him and Penrice were the two loanees we've had over recent years who it was clear had the potential to break into the first team at their parent clubs so it's good to see him doing well.

No doubt St Johnstone and Falkirk will bring significantly more than the average L1 away crowd through to Bayview if the games are there. In terms of cash, it would have been nice to get Hearts or Dundee away or a derby or two though.

Tough group that, barring a jammy result somewhere, should be very tough to get out of.  Not ideal to have two other L1 teams in there, from both a boringness and difficulty point of view. Christ, if we get Montrose and Forfar away, that's be 10 trips to Angus this year at an absolute minimum. That wee McDonalds outside of Forfar will be getting a roaring trade out of me next season.

Archived