League Cup 2018/19 Group B

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, Radford said:

I'll take the word of someone who plays on these artificial pitches, for those taking issue. Saints defender Richard Foster: 

"It’s an astro pitch which is likely to be dry and sticky, which slows the game down. We struggled a bit at Montrose on that sort of surface. We couldn’t pass the ball about like we did against Falkirk. It is a bit of a leveller and they will be right up for it. So we are expecting another tough game.”

@Loonytoons @Skyline Drifter @bernardblack

Uh huh, not that he has any motivation for making excuses at all! :lol:

To be fair, he's not said anything there I didn't already say. A DRY artificial surface will be sticky and our players found the one at Montrose sticky too when we played on it twice last season. If it's properly watered though and it's not a dry sunny day (forecast for the weekend in Forfar is anything but) then it will zip around probably better than it does on grass. In such circumstances it should suit quick passing and movement. It's about 5 years now since we last played at Forfar but it was a cracking pitch back then. No problem playing decent football on it.

Cheers for that.
If St Johns chucked the game 1-0, what would have happen for them to still get through.
I'm asking as I will have a word about landing a bung in their massive bank account.
Hope we pump you lot now! St John's??? How fucking dare You!, [emoji16]

Astroturf pitches definitely do not improve the quality of a game for spectators.

Great for youth and recreational football, acceptable lower leagues if the only alternative is a quagmire poor quality grass park. But should be nowhere near our top professional league.

Astroturf pitches definitely do not improve the quality of a game for spectators.
Great for youth and recreational football, acceptable lower leagues if the only alternative is a quagmire poor quality grass park. But should be nowhere near our top professional league.
I've seen plenty entertaining games on artificial turf and honking ones on well kept grass. On occasion artificial improves the quality especially in winter conditions and sometimes in better weather it doesn't. Nobody cares really. Its a good earner and community asset really. However if u go all billy big time...

Quagmires tend to be in the top flight to be perfectly honest. Fir Park, Ibrox and Tannadice (when they were in the top flight) in recent years have been absolutely horrendous.
Conversely Station Park had an absolute belter of a grass pitch; end of season it was still in near perfect nick.
Postponed games due to hard frost caused the switch.

11 hours ago, Loondave1 said:
11 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

I've seen plenty entertaining games on artificial turf and honking ones on well kept grass. On occasion artificial improves the quality especially in winter conditions and sometimes in better weather it doesn't. Nobody cares really. Its a good earner and community asset really. However if u go all billy big time...

I wasn't saying quagmires are a feature of lower league grass pitches, our own pitch was dreadful 3-4 seasons ago.  I was saying if a club outwith the top flight can't afford to maintain a decent park, and the likelihood is a poor quality one, then AstroTurf is  probably the better option.

I think top flight clubs should be required to spend enough money to maintain a grass pitch of a good standard.  It should be a far bigger priority than forcing clubs to spend big sums of money to build stands they don't need.

12 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

Utter bollocks.

By far the faster surface of "artificial grass" improves the spectator experience regarding skillful football.   I look forward to the day old grass traditionalists die out and the new surface is compulsory.

11 minutes ago, MO7S said:

Utter bollocks.

By far the faster surface of "artificial grass" improves the spectator experience regarding skillful football.   I look forward to the day old grass traditionalists die out and the new surface is compulsory.

The latest hybrid pitches are different as they replicate grass very well and could well be the future. If you're talking about the likes of that plastic pish your team play on then you're havering shite.

1 hour ago, PauloPerth said:

If you're talking about the likes of that plastic pish your team play on then you're havering shite.

I wouldn't be so rude but you are totally correct. An even reasonable grass pitch will never be replicated by an artificial surface.

I've no issue with them in the lower leagues but would hate for Saints to install one.

Guest bernardblack

Plastic pitches serve a purpose but to query the difference it makes in passing the ball is an odd one. Less bumps etc should lead to improved passing. 

Fair play to certain St Johnstone fans for making it sound like Barca are about to rock up to Station Park tomorrow

2 minutes ago, bernardblack said:

Plastic pitches serve a purpose but to query the difference it makes in passing the ball is an odd one. Less bumps etc should lead to improved passing. 

Fair play to certain St Johnstone fans for making it sound like Barca are about to rock up to Station Park tomorrow

Barca aint got shit on us - you'll have Barca beater Tony Watt in your midst.

1 hour ago, ali_91 said:

Forfar folk, where’s the pubs at?

Thank you. 

There used to be a right rave up in the Royal hotel back in the 90s. Couldn't tell you if it's still there.

Nope, can't think of anything else.  That usually means it's a shitehole.

1 hour ago, Bairney The Dinosaur said:

I’ll be rude and say that you are talking complete bollocks.

Put aside the financial and community aspect and you'd rather Falkirk played on the pitch they do than a decent/reasonable grass one?

1 hour ago, ali_91 said:

You going tomorrow Tam? Got a Sunday sesh on the cards so the plan is to go easier tomorrow, won’t happen, nap. 

I'm currently trying to get out of going into work tomorrow, it's not looking great for a drinking session but might make it taking the car. You simply cannot beat a Sunday session, best day of the week for copious amounts of alcohol in relaxed surroundings, followed by some shitehole club and a very very sore head/shite day on the Monday.

Guest bernardblack
3 hours ago, ali_91 said:

Forfar folk, where’s the pubs at?

Thank you. 

The Plough is about 2mins walk from the ground

Also a supporters club/cabin if you walk round the back of the ground, open from 1230 I think 

Archived