(Alan Stubbs is...) The Next St Mirren Manager

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, SandyCromarty said:

Jim McIntyre.

In all honestly, McIntyre seems to be the safest option and least risky of the candidates mentioned. 

Most agree his time at County was for the most part, very decent even of the player turnover was high. 

Everyone who has been mentioned either in earnest or jest comes with the massive caveat which I suppose is the norm at our level. 

Lambert? Probably on a fortune, completely out of our range and a string of high profile jobs, mostly ranging from 'meh' to 'absolute failure' 

Hopkin? Not much wrong with his results so far but his sides are not very pleasing on the eye. Most folk aren't going to be into the punt and rush style and then there are the accusations that his assistant is in fact the glue holding the Amber Machine together. 

Goodwin? Lack of experience. People will claim this didn't prevent us going to that well last time but the lay of the land was very different 18 months ago. 

Neilson? Accusations of being nought more than a Leven puppet who failed miserably after leaving the Jambos.

I could make a poll but it would be made up of the bookies running and let's be fucking honest it's a bloody embarrassment! Names like Shiels, Kennedy and Ferguson.

Anyway, this is what Ladbrokes thinks:
4/1 Robbie Neilson
9/2 Jim Goodwin
11/2 John Kennedy
8/1 David Hopkin
10/1 Danny Lennon
10/1 Jim McIntyre
14/1 Graeme Murty
14/1 Ian Cathro
16/1 Alan Stubbs
20/1 Barry Ferguson
25/1 Jackie McNamara
25/1 John Hughes
25/1 Alex Rae
25/1 Gary Locke
25/1 Ian Baraclough
25/1 James McFadden
25/1 Jim Duffy
25/1 Kenny Shiels
25/1 Lee McCulloch
25/1 Mark Warburton
25/1 Mixu Paatelainen
25/1 Peter Houston
25/1 Ronny Deila
25/1 Terry Butcher
25/1 Mark McGhee
25/1 Paul Hartley
25/1 Steven Pressley
(odds correct as of 25/05/18)
I get that the bookies reflect the money placed, but who the f**k seriously thinks someone like McFadden will dump his brand new Scotland role and take up a newly promoted team? This is before you realise he doesn't have the relevant coaching badges. Barry fucking Ferguson and John fucking Kennedy are both raw meat for the OF balcony yet have a cat's chance in hell of getting an interview let alone the gig itself.

Rae? Shiels? Warburton? Murty? Seriously, what the f**k are these people smoking?

Can’t see Ally McCoist on that list? Surely worth a £5 punt with his good mate Chick Young touting him?

6 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

Can’t see Ally McCoist on that list? Surely worth a £5 punt with his good mate Chick Young touting him?

What the Rangers fan who kids on he's a buddie? McCoist has about as much chance as Alex Rae!

What the Rangers fan who kids on he's a buddie? McCoist has about as much chance as Alex Rae!

Yep, we all know that but you know what the shitey west coast media are like. I’m just getting that one in before your hear it elsewhere.
Neilson might be a decent shout. I’d go for Hopkin though...

8 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

In all honestly, McIntyre seems to be the safest option and least risky of the candidates mentioned. 

Most agree his time at County was for the most part, very decent even of the player turnover was high. 

Everyone who has been mentioned either in earnest or jest comes with the massive caveat which I suppose is the norm at our level. 

Lambert? Probably on a fortune, completely out of our range and a string of high profile jobs, mostly ranging from 'meh' to 'absolute failure' 

Hopkin? Not much wrong with his results so far but his sides are not very pleasing on the eye. Most folk aren't going to be into the punt and rush style and then there are the accusations that his assistant is in fact the glue holding the Amber Machine together. 

Goodwin? Lack of experience. People will claim this didn't prevent us going to that well last time but the lay of the land was very different 18 months ago. 

Neilson? Accusations of being nought more than a Leven puppet who failed miserably after leaving the Jambos.

From the list earlier in the post I would agree with you regarding safe hands, McIntyre  is no circus sideshow on the touchline, rather he is patient and works well with his players plus his knowledge of the game and play is sound, there is no doubt that your team will first and foremost want to establish themselves in the Premier League without any feckin heroics and shouts of top six finishes and McIntyre would provide the stability you will require, having said that it is essential that a manager is appointed asap and that monies are immediately made available to him for players.

Not that I am in any way suggesting Murty, but I think he's not as bad as some of the other options. In fact, given a bit of stability and a fanbase that aren't a dribbling horde or self righteous bigots I reckon he could do a decent job at a "provincial" club. Not ours, mind.

9 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Not even at the wind up here, I honestly thought any debate over Neilson would be around whether he'd be willing to take it rather than whether St Mirren fans would want him.

All things considered he was a huge success at Hearts. Regardless of any comments about his style of play - and who gives a shit when you're winning? - he destroyed the Championship, waltzed into third in the Premiership then left them sitting second the following season. If he was merely a Levein puppet, why did they utterly collapse and become the worst team in the league as soon as Neilson left with Levein still there? The only valid criticism to be made of his tenure there is sometimes being overly cautious in big games and choking, the cup ties with Hibs and the European embarrassment the obvious shouts.

I suppose you could argue most of the big clubs in Scotland have stable managerial situations while he's been at Hearts already so there's no point in him sitting about hoping a bigger Scottish job comes available as there really aren't any likely to, but by the same token he'd be coming back to Scotland for a smaller job than the one he was in previously where he was a huge success.

With that in mind, might he be willing to wait for another English job coming up, or something like McInnes going to England where Neilson might find himself in contention for the Aberdeen job?

On the balance of probability he is far more likely to take it than not, particularly if St Mirren can give him a budget to compete for the top six - if he thinks he deserves another chance in England the best way to get it is to prove himself again - but it's not entirely unbelievable that he'd view a job with any of the bottom six sides as beneath him. He did deserve to be sacked at MK Dons but I think miserable failure is putting it harshly. He'd be a terrific appointment for St Mirren.

16 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Not even at the wind up here, I honestly thought any debate over Neilson would be around whether he'd be willing to take it rather than whether St Mirren fans would want him.

All things considered he was a huge success at Hearts. Regardless of any comments about his style of play - and who gives a shit when you're winning? - he destroyed the Championship, waltzed into third in the Premiership then left them sitting second the following season. If he was merely a Levein puppet, why did they utterly collapse and become the worst team in the league as soon as Neilson left with Levein still there? The only valid criticism to be made of his tenure there is sometimes being overly cautious in big games and choking, the cup ties with Hibs and the European embarrassment the obvious shouts.

I suppose you could argue most of the big clubs in Scotland have stable managerial situations while he's been at Hearts already so there's no point in him sitting about hoping a bigger Scottish job comes available as there really aren't any likely to, but by the same token he'd be coming back to Scotland for a smaller job than the one he was in previously where he was a huge success.

With that in mind, might he be willing to wait for another English job coming up, or something like McInnes going to England where Neilson might find himself in contention for the Aberdeen job?

On the balance of probability he is far more likely to take it than not, particularly if St Mirren can give him a budget to compete for the top six - if he thinks he deserves another chance in England the best way to get it is to prove himself again - but it's not entirely unbelievable that he'd view a job with any of the bottom six sides as beneath him. He did deserve to be sacked at MK Dons but I think miserable failure is putting it harshly. He'd be a terrific appointment for St Mirren.

100% agree. Neilson was and remains my preferred name for the job.

Several St. Mirren fans are absolutely against the thought of him because he failed at MK Dons but I think the majority are on board with the notion. I too don't believe it was a miserable failure. In fact it was a very decent showing that was derailed at the end by a godawful chain of results.

In my opinion, one bad stint doesn't make a bad manager, he's also actually 3 years younger than Jack Ross and has more managerial experience. I think in all honesty, given his age and still really being at the start of his managerial career, he'd take it if offered it. The club is on a high, there is minimal impact in terms of the recruited players so far so he has more or less the entire budget to work with,  and the players who are staying are by and large of a decent standard. I get what you're saying about coming back to Scotland and into a smaller job than he left but Neil Lennon did the exact same thing and his stock has once again risen massively for doing so. Neilson's always in the quoting for English league 1 jobs along with usual suspects but I don't think any clubs south of the border are battering his door down at present.

Unlike a few of our fans who seemed to grudge Jack Ross his move, I'd be under no illusions that Robbie Neilson or any other manager would be in the St. Mirren job as a shop window, It's a nice problem to have as if other clubs are sniffing, the team is doing well.

From the list earlier in the post I would agree with you regarding safe hands, McIntyre  is no circus sideshow on the touchline, rather he is patient and works well with his players plus his knowledge of the game and play is sound, there is no doubt that your team will first and foremost want to establish themselves in the Premier League without any feckin heroics and shouts of top six finishes and McIntyre would provide the stability you will require, having said that it is essential that a manager is appointed asap and that monies are immediately made available to him for players.

A circus sideshow is precisely what McIntyre brings. Stability is not his game.

Hot take on Jack Ross. 

A decent manager, but jury still out on him being anything other than that, imo. Took over the club at rock bottom and got the guys up to a level within a few months to avoid relegation (comfortably enough in the end).  Ultimately won the league at a canter, but probably with a budget around 2nd highest in the league? Dundee Utd probably higher, and possibly Inverness - both clubs massively under performing. 

Sunderland, imo, completely the wrong move for him. A club in free fall, and any manager going in there is going to be more likely to be out by Christmas than really have a go at promotion.  Appreciate it's a life changing salary - but patience likely to have provided him with better opportunities. 

Next move for St Mirren.  Lost a few key players and manager to bigger clubs in recent weeks / months. However they should be in a good position next season with Livvy and Accies likely strugglers. 

St Mirren historically have made a number of bad appointments as manager and often simply gave the job to the assistant. This is not an option for them now, but they certainly need to avoid the absolute f**k up of an Alex Rae level appointment. Not sure how he got through any kind of interview process.

Wouldn't imagine Jim Goodwin is far from the job and seems a pretty reasonable choice. Don't think its a big factor that he has only managed at Alloa. 

Archived