(Alan Stubbs is...) The Next St Mirren Manager

1 minute ago, Nastro said:

I hope the facts are wrong and he takes St Mirren on a downward spiral.

It always makes me chuckle how some fans continually blame us for 1986 despite St Mirren beating Hearts 5-2 earlier in the season, and that it was Hearts' fault they failed to beat Dundee.

Not saying you do, perhaps you have other (more valid) reasons for the dislike.

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

It always makes me chuckle how some fans continually blame us for 1986 despite St Mirren beating Hearts 5-2 earlier in the season, and that it was Hearts' fault they failed to beat Dundee.

Very fair post tbh.

1 minute ago, Young gun said:

It was all down to this guy :lol:

C06D9F71-8B14-4E62-B877-E1E436371895.jpeg

Bobby Ball?

What's he got to do with anything?

2 hours ago, Buddist Monk said:

Did you leave early?

2 hours ago, Buddist Monk said:

Hearts didn’t need to beat Dundee that day.  With 10 mins left at 0-0 they where Champions of Scotland sitting not giving a shite what the score was with St Mirren.  In fact you can picture the scene:

“Here, that’s St Mirren lying down to Celtic, who would have guessed? Mon the Hertz finish them off chuckle chuckle chuckle”

10 mins later and some boy scores two.

”f**k sake St Liedown have cost us the league, basssssttaaarddds” 

Also incredible the Russians named their rifle after Albert Kidd!Found this on an obscure Russian site.

"The AK-47 is a selective fire gas operated rifle developed in the Soviet Union. It got its name after the Dundee striker Albert Kidd(AK) gunned down the title hopes of Heart of Midlothian on May 3rd 1986 by scoring two late goals as he come on as a forty-seventh minutesub(47). Hence AK-47 "

I'm old enough to remember that Hearts didn't actually blow the 1986 league title on the last day of the season. Of course it suits the Hearts fans to believe this as it gives them the "St Mirren are to blame for our shit lives" scenario.

Hearts fecked it for themselves a few days earlier when they played a league match against Clydebank (already relegated) and they struggled to win by just a single goal when they were expected to win by a bucketload. Had Hearts thumped Clydebank by the margin they were expected to it would have been absolutely impossible for Celtic to achieve the victory (and goal difference) they would have needed to overtake Hearts.

But hey, as we all know, why let the facts get in the way of the truth ?

Sad Hearts fans still cry that it wisnae our fault that we failed - a big boy did it and ran away !!!!

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

I'm old enough to remember that Hearts didn't actually blow the 1986 league title on the last day of the season. Of course it suits the Hearts fans to believe this as it gives them the "St Mirren are to blame for our shit lives" scenario.

Hearts fecked it for themselves a few days earlier when they played a league match against Clydebank (already relegated) and they struggled to win by just a single goal when they were expected to win by a bucketload. Had Hearts thumped Clydebank by the margin they were expected to it would have been absolutely impossible for Celtic to achieve the victory (and goal difference) they would have needed to overtake Hearts.

But hey, as we all know, why let the facts get in the way of the truth ?

Sad Hearts fans still cry that it wisnae our fault that we failed - a big boy did it and ran away !!!!

Was the result against Clydebank not because Clydebank had a number of Celtic supporting players in their side and they tried like they never tried before even as they got relegated? Or so the story was? 

I actually quite like the fact that Hearts think we fucked them over in 86. For Celtic that was just another title, they win them all the time, but for hearts that was it, they'll never get a better chance. If they'd won it each and every one of those players would be legends. There would be anniversary dinners and stands named after them. Instead it was one of the all time greatest bottle jobs, and all they have left is to blame St.Mirren. Ha ha ha.

26 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

What some don't get is we are a provincal club living in the shadow of the old firm we would have loved Hearts to win the league that year. 

Aye, careful... I wouldn't go so far as to say "loved" but I certainly wouldn't be unamenable to them winning it.

1 hour ago, Austin McCann said:

Hearts twice clinched the league title at Love street to become Scottish champions.  Something St Mirren will never be.

Now the pedant in me immediately wishes to point out that you can only be certain that it's something we have never done, not something that we will never do. However, putting that aside, the last time Hearts won the title was nearly 60 years ago. With the way modern football is, I'd say the chances of Hearts ever winning the league again are pretty much as likely as St Mirren ever winning it.

Not that your initial premise is incorrect, you have won the league twice (well four times to be precise with the other two being in the 19th century!), but I'd maybe question the "at Love Street" claim as I've gone through the fixtures and that doesn't seem to be the case. We are talking seriously old statistics so I wouldn't be surprised if places like Soccerbase (et al) are not entirely correct.

It was 6-2

30 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

Aye but this wee diddy team beat you in the league cup final

But that's a diddy cup so it doesn't count. (Nothing to do with the fact that they haven't won it since 1963. Since then Partick Thistle (1), Hibs (3), Dundee (1), Aberdeen (5), Dundee United (2),Raith Rovers (1), Livingston (1), Kilmarnock (1), the afore mentioned St Mirren (1) and Ross County (1) have won it.)

Archived