(Alan Stubbs is...) The Next St Mirren Manager

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The barometer is set. Nice wee quorum of Buds fans now calling him “Alan”. The perfect start.
Let’s see how long before he becomes “the trouble with Alan Stubbs is” which will be followed by the inevitable “Stubbs has no plan B”, before the final ignominy where he will be referred to without the words “Alan” or “Stubbs” being used at all.

Stubbs last season at Hibs was mental. We had a few postponements, then 2 replays in the Scottish. Hibs had 1 free midweek from the start of February to the cup final, and that was only because we lost to Falkirk in the playoffs. Hibs had almost caught the **** before that run started, we finished 11 points behind them.

Stubbs is miles away from a bad manager. Plays good football, gets a tune out of talented players, and he cares about the club he's employed by. He is also frustrating as f**k because he doesn't adapt to the way other sides play at all. Which is why Hibs struggled against the likes of Falkirk who lumped 10 men behind the ball under him. Hibs dropped points in more games under Lennon than under Stubbs in the championship fwiw.

Wtf does “Falkirk who lumped 10 men behind the ball under him” actually mean? It’s near enough a random set of commonly used football forum words......but in a random sequence.
Anybody else lumped 10 men?

8 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

Nice wee quorum of Buds fans now calling him “Alan”. The perfect start.

You realise that the definition of a Quorum, in this context, only needs one person to call him Alan.

Not sure why Falkirk fans have a stiffy for the lad, and it seems quite a common thread amongst Falkirk fans, but I'm sure we will endure the top division and all it's benefits with the bittersweet knowledge that a club in the lower divisions have fans that don't like our new manager.

11 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

The barometer is set. Nice wee quorum of Buds fans now calling him “Alan”. The perfect start.
Let’s see how long before he becomes “the trouble with Alan Stubbs is” which will be followed by the inevitable “Stubbs has no plan B”, before the final ignominy where he will be referred to without the words “Alan” or “Stubbs” being used at all.

You forget we had Tommy Craig, Alex Rae , Ian Murray all in seqence, it does not get any worse than that trust me . Im confident with Stubbs leading us. What is more surprising is the number of Falkirk fans posting here taking an interst in our new appointment. I take Stubbs rattled your cage ? 

5 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

You forget we had Tommy Craig, Alex Rae , Ian Murray all in seqence, it does not get any worse than that trust me . Im confident with Stubbs leading us. What is more surprising is the number of Falkirk fans posting here taking an interst in our new appointment. I take Stubbs rattled your cage ? 

I think the other main reason that Hibs fans like Stubbs is he broke an even longer run of pretty guff managers.

• Collins (played great stuff, then blew up the dressing room)
  • Mixu (played guff but somewhat effective stuff)
  • Yogi (really started the decline)
  • Calderwood (zzzz)
  • Fenlon (5-1)
  • Butcher (blew up the dressing room part two, relegated by Accies)

Guest JTS98

Stubbs did a decent job in his time at Hibs, and the cup win will always (rightly) over-shadow everything else. But there's always nuance, it's not black and white, no pun intended.

First off, clubs with St Mirren's budget, like most Scottish clubs, are always taking a gamble when they hire anyone. So why not Stubbs?

His Hibs team played decent football, but I always felt this was over-stated. He clearly improved them from the utter shambles they had been previously. Someone had to do a decent job there eventually. But when his Hibs team were good, they were excellent. They handed out a couple of humpings to Rangers and he quickly worked out how to use pressing to nullify Neilson's Hearts. Neilson never found an answer to that.

But then he also had two seasons to get them up and failed to do so. The points about fixture congestion are fair, but that's football. To not get promoted, or even to the final of the play-off, in two seasons in a league with a good set of players and a good budget (for that level) is a failure. I also remember Peter Houston making a comment after beating Hibs (again) that they knew before the game that if they got the ball wide and into the box, Hibs would give them chances because they always did. There were structural failings is Stubbs' Hibs. But the cup win wipes that out, obviously.

His cup record was very good, clearly.

If I was a St Mirren fan, I'd see this as a fair enough appointment considering spending power and the reputation of our league. Clubs in our league are always looking at damaged goods or unproven managers. But questioning Stubbs is fair too.

Absolute legend and really happy for him. 

I think we have moved on to better things with Neil Lennon, who has taken us to a level I don't think Stubbs could have.  However, we are where we are largely thanks to that man laying the foundations and wish him all the very best with St Mirren.  He gave us the greatest day in our club's history, so will always be thankful! 

6 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

Stubbs did a decent job in his time at Hibs...

So why not Stubbs?

His Hibs team played decent football...

..when his Hibs team were good, they were excellent.

Heh, are you sure you are a Hearts fan? ;)

2 minutes ago, K.T said:

Oft.

St Mirren immediately become favourites to drive the Relegation Express.

tenor.gif?itemid=5547862

Ah, grist to the mill. You only need to pop down to the Championship forum to see how that prediction worked out last season.. :D

Guest JTS98
Just now, Buddist Monk said:

Heh, are you sure you are a Hearts fan? ;)

Just call it as I see it.

Hibernian remain deplorable tramps, mind.

Just now, JTS98 said:

Well, fair play, I tip my cap to you. How about 1986 though, would you be so magnanimous with that? :P

1 minute ago, JTS98 said:

Ah.. now there we go, back to go old proper P&B banter.. :)

7 minutes ago, K.T said:

Oft.

St Mirren immediately become favourites to drive the Relegation Express.

tenor.gif?itemid=5547862

Bookmarked*

* haven't really, but I believe this is the correct P&B response to such a post.

Guest JTS98
1 minute ago, Buddist Monk said:

How about 1986 though, would you be so magnanimous with that? :P

It's right and proper that Love Street was demolished. Right and proper.

7 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

JTS kens the answer.

Archived