(Alan Stubbs is...) The Next St Mirren Manager

This sort of thing happens nearly every time a job comes up.  Big name foreign managers get linked with it and go for an interview, but then usually run a mile when they realise the budget they'll be working with.  Then some sort of uninteresting Scottish guy gets the job and folk go on about the Largs mafia and so on.

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Dons_1988 said:

Didn’t mean it in any sort of disparaging way.

I just dislike the idea that st mirren would want guti purely because he used to be a Real Madrid player. You never know, he might be brilliant but similarly he might be useless. I just think sometimes the media in this country think clubs like st mirren would just get weak at the knees at the idea of a real Madrid player applying for the job instead of just doing the proper due diligence.

I get what you're saying. My thinking though, is that a guy who is currently going through the exact same coaching channels as the guy who has won the last 3 champions leagues would be a massive coup, regardless of the calibre of his playing career. 

I don't fancy the idea of him purely because he played for Real Madrid, I fancy the idea because in his young career, he's already been working at the absolute pinnacle of the sport and I'd love to see what, if anything, could filter down. 

I don’t know if this Guti guy is any good but it would be remarkable if the top league in Scotland had the former youth coaches of both the Champions League finalists managing in it. 

There is nothing to suggest that he is any more of a risk than Rangers with Stevie G. After all they both have the language barrier to overcome. 

TBH I’d rather have had Neilson but now he is out of it none of the other reported candidates stand out. 

6 minutes ago, bunglebonce said:

The only name that is missing is Sergio Lobera, who was supposedly very keen in the Ross County gig before McIntyre got it.

Hide contents

John Hartson was very close to getting it too, shudder.

So you think if Hartson had got it you'd have been even more relegated?

Just now, Bobby_F said:

So you think if Hartson had got it you'd have been even more relegated?

Perhaps not but they'd almost certainly be league cup-less.

47 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

This sort of thing happens nearly every time a job comes up.  Big name foreign managers get linked with it and go for an interview, but then usually run a mile when they realise the budget they'll be working with.  Then some sort of uninteresting Scottish guy gets the job and folk go on about the Largs mafia and so on.

40DB6128-342D-4F3B-BA9F-B01136D65B91.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Perhaps not but they'd almost certainly be league cup-less.

Ah apologies, forgot McIntyre had been there for a few seasons before the relegation season.

Saints have been away from the top flight for too long!

Yeah, pretty much this. However, it’s fun while it lasts and the meltdowns from some of the mouthbreathing morons in our support when Jim McIntyre is unveiled will make it all worthwhile.

15 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

St Mirren manager bingo looks to be an even better proposition than sevco signing bingo.

I'll take never-quite-lived-up-to-ChampMan-hype Argentine playmaker Pablo Aimar please.

Ah yes, he was one of the many 'new Maradonas'. f**k it - get on Twitter, ask McBookie for odds on Aimar, stick a tenner on him, then watch the Record report it tomorrow afternoon.

1 minute ago, Coventry Saint said:

Ah yes, he was one of the many 'new Maradonas'. f**k it - get on Twitter, ask McBookie for odds on Aimar, stick a tenner on him, then watch the Record report it tomorrow afternoon.

Just someone posting it in here is enough for the red tops to run with it as "an exclusive"

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

Feel for st mirren here, the candidates being mentioned are absolutely honking. Just a game of ex semi reputational footballer bingo.

We're talking Champions League and World Cup legends. You might even call us 'The Famous'.

If only we could be linked with the likes of Mark McGhee or Derek McInnes :(

Just what I was thinking. I'll be so fucking agitated if it's shite like Jim Mcintyre. 
Even Mickey Mellon would be someone a bit different. 

Agreed. Now these sorts of names have been banded about I want to take the risk with a well known foreigner.
If it all turns into Tommy Craig/Alex Rae shitstorm we’ll get the parachute payment.

Archived