(Alan Stubbs is...) The Next St Mirren Manager

1 minute ago, SlipperyP said:

No need for the personal insult, or your disillusion thoughts of Thailand. Being a Monk you should know better.

You can hardly blame me for lowering the tone when all I did was continue your analogy. ;)

As it is, I have friends who live over there. It's no slight to Thailand by suggesting sex tourism is a big earner, as for the.. *cough* ..mechanics of that I'm sure I don't need to expand.

1 minute ago, SlipperyP said:

As for a little dig at Forfar, f**k you am livid.

Is Lee McCulloch still available?:P  

You know it wasn't really a dig, just putting it in perspective.

Both Rangers and Celtic have used our ground for all sorts of things, as have the SFA for their juniors and women's football. It's just a good wee stadium, close to the city that has a good surface and as it's fairly new the facilities are not post war Cappielow style. It's not surprising that when push comes to shove we seem like a good option. I wasn't keen that they put the sign up, but you know, it's not like it was up for long, and as I say it's all about revenue.

As for McCulloch, I'm surprised there's not been the line "Big Lee would is the best person to carry on Ross' work - says some random ex-teammate haddie that's desperate for attention" from one media outlet. After all it fits their collective MO.

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, lanky_ffc said:

They're also due a £35m parachute payment which will dwarf the budget of most teams in that league. Given their resources, they should piss that division next season. Think it's an astute gamble from Ross and hope he does well.

I wouldn't say it's all roses. There is a list somewhere of the players that failed and the wages they are on - I looked for it before I posted this but can't find it - and it's not sustainable for them to continue to pay them and bring in new players on top. I don't think he can go in and do a Steve Clark, and almost immediately turn the club around, it's too big a club with too much going on in the background.

They'll also be the "cup final" game for every team in that league. There might be a few "big clubs" languishing down there, but there's also a lot of smaller clubs fighting to keep their position. They'll see a 50k crowd and a fancy stadium and will absolutely fancy it.

It's all about timing. From my point of view Sunderland is slowly turning around, it's all whether Ross has timed it right. If not, I do believe whatever he puts in place will be the bedrock of the next successful manager.

Tony Fitzpatrick and I quote, has said that, " We will take at least a week to get all the CV's in, and then we will start to go through them. There has been no short list drawn up."

Apparently this is the procedure that was followed before the  last appointment.

Gregg Ryder, former assistant boss at IBV (Íþróttabandalag Vestmannaeyja)  in Iceland,  who has just left Throttur Rekyjavik, where he was the manager for four years, is keen to talk to us apparently. Former coach at Newcastle. 30 years old.

https://is.linkedin.com/in/gregg-ryder-92a0a653

Certainly a more interesting option with some potential, compared to the tired list of candidates that is kicking around just now

You know it wasn't really a dig, just putting it in perspective.
Both Rangers and Celtic have used our ground for all sorts of things, as have the SFA for their juniors and women's football. It's just a good wee stadium, close to the city that has a good surface and as it's fairly new the facilities are not post war Cappielow style. It's not surprising that when push comes to shove we seem like a good option. I wasn't keen that they put the sign up, but you know, it's not like it was up for long, and as I say it's all about revenue.
As for McCulloch, I'm surprised there's not been the line "Big Lee would is the best person to carry on Ross' work - says some random ex-teammate haddie that's desperate for attention" from one media outlet. After all it fits their collective MO.

Yes, Celtic and the SFA would never use Cappielow would they...

Great appointment if St Mirren get Lambert, I thought Neilson was a push tbh. Won’t get Hopkin now he’s got livi in the top flight thought you where going to get someone like Houston.

1 hour ago, Silvio said:

Lambert now 1/2, albeit with the lack of liquidity these markets offer.

Probably only because Sky reported we'd talked to him, which they lifted from this morning's papers and gave it the full "Sky sources" treatment.

5 hours ago, Jag0001 said:

Great appointment if St Mirren get Lambert, I thought Neilson was a push tbh. Won’t get Hopkin now he’s got livi in the top flight thought you where going to get someone like Houston.

Naw. You may not be aware that we have had a new Board for the last 18 months and the first thinf they did was bin Rae and appoint Jack. Our new Chairman is young and ambitious - no chance he will appoint one of the many old guard looking for a job.

1 minute ago, NorthBank said:

Naw. You may not be aware that we have had a new Board for the last 18 months and the first think they did was bin Rae and appoint Jack. Our new Chairman is young and ambitious - no chance he will appoint one of the many old guard looking for a job.

I wouldn’t say no chance that always comes back to bite you but thanks I wasn’t aware still think you should get Neilson.

This is going to be a slow week, isn't it?

Looks like Hurst from Shrewsbury is going to ITFC (he may have been their preferred choice all along anyway), which means Hopkin is now being linked with Shrewsbury (so I'd be losing a fiver there). The Neilson rumours seem to have cooled since last week. I'm inclined to believe the Lambert stuff is bollocks. I don't massively fancy McIntyre. I like the idea of the slightly unusual shouts re Simo Valakari, but that's also probably Twitter doing what it does best. See also: the Sol Campbell rumours. ( :lol: )

It's going to be Jim Goodwin, isn't it? I still think it's too soon for him, but at least he'll have most folks' instant backing.

1 hour ago, Coventry Saint said:

This is going to be a slow week, isn't it?

Looks like Hurst from Shrewsbury is going to ITFC (he may have been their preferred choice all along anyway), which means Hopkin is now being linked with Shrewsbury (so I'd be losing a fiver there). The Neilson rumours seem to have cooled since last week. I'm inclined to believe the Lambert stuff is bollocks. I don't massively fancy McIntyre. I like the idea of the slightly unusual shouts re Simo Valakari, but that's also probably Twitter doing what it does best. See also: the Sol Campbell rumours. ( :lol: )

It's going to be Jim Goodwin, isn't it? I still think it's too soon for him, but at least he'll have most folks' instant backing.

I think Goodwin would divide the support tbh. 

2 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Could be the time for John Potter to show how much he has learned since steering us to 7th in League One. 

Potter knocked back his best mate JR when he was offered the assistant manager job with St Mirren, JR then got James Fowler.

Seen as Fowler is now at Sunderland with JR, Potter might well be regreting that decision.:lol:

Archived