Save Leith Walk

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

I'm reasonably cheery m9.

I just have absolutely no appetite for Leith to be turned into some huge student campus like the city centre and the Southside.

Neither do I. Luckily no-one is proposing this.

9 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

My phone just beeped on my way home from the pub so I’m somewhat inebriated but it seems clear that you’ve not thought that through.

If you’re also drunk then I’m happy to enter into a dialogue on this

If you’re sober then you’re a fucking moron

:lol:

There are new student flats that have been built just off Easter Road near me and they are going for £185 a week or about twice the price of some private rents in the same area. As I say that might be fine for some students but plenty will still prefer to rent privately instead of going back to student only accommodation. 

On 25/05/2018 at 17:13, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Just in case anybody else was wondering about thus cryptic reply I looked it up

Flats are "dwellings" so not eligible for capital allowances. Business buildings aren't so they are

Building dedicated student accommodation is halfway between a hotel and building flats you can claim a bit of capital allowance on your investment for building the communal facilities but not for building the rooms where people live. 

Disclaimer:  Before investing in construction of a new building readers are advised to consult a professional tax advisor as opposed to relying on this post as I've simplified the picture somewhat

if by "simplified" you mean "got wrong" then i agree.

You're right about the dwellings bit but furniture and fixtures in the rooms will still qualify for allowances in a hall type residence. Self contained flats would be dwellings and the communal areas in a block of them would qualify but nothing in the flats. 

If anyone is fascinated by this so far and wants to know how the public infrastructure exemption from the interest resriction rules applies just let me know. 

if by "simplified" you mean "got wrong" then i agree.

You're right about the dwellings bit but furniture and fixtures in the rooms will still qualify for allowances in a hall type residence. Self contained flats would be dwellings and the communal areas in a block of them would qualify but nothing in the flats. 

If anyone is fascinated by this so far and wants to know how the public infrastructure exemption from the interest resriction rules applies just let me know. 

If we’re going to be pedantic then it’s only right to note that I was referring to construction as opposed to furnishing

But thanks for elaborating further on a topic that’s no doubt fascinating all our readers in a far more informative manner than supermik

How big a role do you think the tougher regulation of multiple occupancy renting has had on the move towards purpose built Student Halls?

55 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

If we’re going to be pedantic then it’s only right to note that I was referring to construction as opposed to furnishing

But thanks for elaborating further on a topic that’s no doubt fascinating all our readers in a far more informative manner than supermik

How big a role do you think the tougher regulation of multiple occupancy renting has had on the move towards purpose built Student Halls?

you can claim limited allowances on bits of the construction.

On the non tax part, i don't have the first clue.

you can claim limited allowances on bits of the construction.
On the non tax part, i don't have the first clue.

I met up with a friend that runs a property management firm on Saturday and, seeing as we'd been talking about it here, I asked her what was driving the trend she reckoned that the new regulations making it difficult for private landlords to rent flats to students but then again that could be availability bias on her part.

Got a leaflet thru the door from Drum, and they are proposing a hotel, post grad student accomodation and affordable housing*. According to them, the red sandstone cant be saved. The sketch looks like the depot will be a live music venue too. The worst bit for me though is that from 2019, none of the current businesses would return, which is a huge shame for other reasons as well as what BK had said earlier.

Also, gutted about the right wing at northfield, hopefully someone looks after Charlie Sheen.

ETA - and shop space*

18 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

Got a leaflet thru the door from Drum, and they are proposing a hotel, post grad student accomodation and affordable housing*. According to them, the red sandstone cant be saved. The sketch looks like the depot will be a live music venue too. The worst bit for me though is that from 2019, none of the current businesses would return, which is a huge shame for other reasons as well as what BK had said earlier.

Also, gutted about the right wing at northfield, hopefully someone looks after Charlie Sheen.

ETA - and shop space*

Where in Leith are you?  Don't think we've had anything from them and we're very close to the building.  Planning permission hasn't been granted yet so there's still some hope.

55 minutes ago, Boostin' Kev said:

Where in Leith are you?  Don't think we've had anything from them and we're very close to the building.  Planning permission hasn't been granted yet so there's still some hope.

They're just at the pre-application stage just now so they have been doing some drop in information sessions to fulfil these requirements. They've not applied for planning permission yet.

Student Housing like this is not for regular students, how many second years are paying upwards of £800 a month for a shitty studio flat style glorified halls of residence? You chip in with your pals and get a flat.

They're for rich foreign students but there's only so many of them given the proliferation of this type of accomodation.

These flats are a money spinner for the developer, they can get more of them on a smaller footprint and don't have to provide parking. The flats are smaller than for regular dwellings, when this bubble bursts they'll get turned into super shite cramped social housing.

The idea that this development helps the housing market for the ordinary person in Edinburgh is false. This is a huge site that could've been covered in dense 'affordable' accomodation for the people that live here.

And get these Air BnBs to f**k and all. Fucking 1 bedroom flats in my close going for £250k plus, half the close has become short term let's since last summer.

2 hours ago, RiG said:

They're just at the pre-application stage just now so they have been doing some drop in information sessions to fulfil these requirements. They've not applied for planning permission yet.

I was at the meeting at the Theatre last Wednesday the boy from Drum did come across as though he was just doing a box ticking exercise. 

6 hours ago, Tibbermoresaint said:

The Council have had this earmarked as a potential development area for the last decade. And rightly so. It's a very underutilized piece of land on a main road which will soon have trams trundling along it. 

http://www.edinburgh.gov.uk/downloads/file/2794/steads_place_development_brief

aPIdq36.jpg

Can understand the area directly behind the sandstone building but you can't be referring to Jane St and Tennant St surely? 

I see the Canonmills group have reluctantly called it a day trying to defend another iconic part of the city from the carbuncle being built on the bridge. 

Leith Depot doing their community kitchen tomorrow between 3-5 free food being served and no alcohol. 

3 minutes ago, Boostin' Kev said:

Can understand the area directly behind the sandstone building but you can't be referring to Jane St and Tennant St surely? 

I'm referring to the area Drum want to redevelop.

But I could say the same about Jane and Tennant Streets. These are low-density commercial units which could be redeveloped and replaced by high-density housing as has happened in plenty of other places in Bonnington and Leith.

Archived