Save Leith Walk

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, Boostin' Kev said:

There's a proposed development planned for the sandstone building between Stead's Place and Jane Street for student flats. There's a lot of strong feeling in the area against this and Leith losing a lot of what makes the area so good.

Regardless of your football team please lend a bit of support to the cause against it. This is a welcoming area of the capital city and no matter what team you support you'll always meet a friend here.

https://www.facebook.com/saveleithwalk/

Edinburgh doesn't have enough student flats in my humble opinion. Or hotels. 

p.s. This is a lie. 

The Scottish Govt must be pretty keen to try and get these places filled as they have altered the lease system to try and drive HMO landlords out of the market and the students towards these purpose built places. They have removed fixed terms from tenancies under a guise of it being a new era from tenants when in reality it takes away any kind of security for all other folk except students as landlords can give notice any time they like if they say they want to sell or move back in (but not just because they want to end the tenancy for no reason).

In university towns, big HMO flats would often be let just for term time, then to tourists etc over summer. Now landlords of these flats can’t do that any more as they can’t just say to students “I only want to rent the place for September to June” for example. By trying to micro-manage this wee part of the rental market they’ve taken away the security for all the tenants who’d like long-term leases on their flat/house. For example, a tenant could move in, spend money painting, making the place homely etc and a month later the landlord can now just say to them they have to move at short notice as they want to sell the place or move back in themselves whereas before they would have had the security of a lease for a minimum of 6 months to 3 years.

The last thing Edinburgh and Leith needs is more student flats. Get some affordable housing built.

Cheer up

More students in dedicated student housing means less people competing for the housing that already exists so this should help non-students looking for affordable housing

16 hours ago, Falcor Roar said:

I was just thinking the other month when I was down the walk for the first time in ages that Leith is fucked when the gentrification gets to the bed shop. It's great when you have a mix of the old shops, crazy locals and auld man boozers with the new cafes, restaurants and bars but it goes past a tipping point and the sense of place just becomes generic.

This is how a lot of people are feeling. 

17 hours ago, supermik said:

Maybe you have answered your own questions. Do private property builders get the same breaks as commercial?

Just in case anybody else was wondering about thus cryptic reply I looked it up

Flats are "dwellings" so not eligible for capital allowances. Business buildings aren't so they are

Building dedicated student accommodation is halfway between a hotel and building flats you can claim a bit of capital allowance on your investment for building the communal facilities but not for building the rooms where people live. 

Disclaimer:  Before investing in construction of a new building readers are advised to consult a professional tax advisor as opposed to relying on this post as I've simplified the picture somewhat

26 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Have they got the warehouses  behind as well?

Drum own the land behind the units as well.  There's hope of them developing there instead but they don't seem to be up for it.

19 hours ago, supermik said:

Unfortunately due to the tax breaks that are now in place for building students accommodation we are going to see more and more of them being built.

The walk used to be great in the 70’s and early 80’s. Had a lot of great clothes shops and Indian material shops for people who used to make their own clothes. Mind you, that is a dying art now. Years back there used to be loads of places that sold designs for clothes. When I got married, we bought the material and then had the bridesmaids dresses hand made for a fraction of the cost of buying them ready made.

In the last few years it feels as if every available building in Glasgow has been taken up by student accomodation.

12 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Cheer up

More students in dedicated student housing means less people competing for the housing that already exists so this should help non-students looking for affordable housing

I'm reasonably cheery m9.

I just have absolutely no appetite for Leith to be turned into some huge student campus like the city centre and the Southside.

Your point is a valid one. However, it could also be the case that the housing surrounding the student blocks becomes more attractive to students who don't get a university place.

9 hours ago, philpy said:

The radical road pub at Northfield has been bulldozed, to make way for student flats.

8 hours ago, Tibbermoresaint said:

Not student flats, a granny farm.

I believe it was earmarked for students but ultimately rejected due to petitions from local residents.

23 hours ago, HMFC Mitchy said:

Bit harsh.

I think people love the idea of Leith Walk, and see it as some glamorous part of the city when in all honesty most people will be passing through it looking at phones, waiting for buses etc. Apart from the (falsely imho kwam) romanticised notion that it's one of the last bastions of cultural significance in Edinburgh, there isn't anything genuinely enthralling about the area. A trinket shop you may use once every two years pales in significance to the housing need of students, young families etc. 

Leith is shite.

If there's one person I'd listen to on this subject, it's DJ Mitchy 2k6y

13 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

I think this notion is overplayed by developers. These student buildings are stupidly expensive compared to renting privately in a lot of cases so quite a few students still prefer to rent privately rather than go back into Halls version 2.0. 

I think this notion is overplayed by developers. These student buildings are stupidly expensive compared to renting privately in a lot of cases so quite a few students still prefer to rent privately rather than go back into Halls version 2.0. 

My phone just beeped on my way home from the pub so I’m somewhat inebriated but it seems clear that you’ve not thought that through.

If you’re also drunk then I’m happy to enter into a dialogue on this

If you’re sober then you’re a fucking moron

My phone just beeped on my way home from the pub so I’m somewhat inebriated but it seems clear that you’ve not thought that through.

If you’re also drunk then I’m happy to enter into a dialogue on this

If you’re sober then you’re a fucking moron

Calling people morons online is a bad thing to do

Archived