Save Leith Walk

7 hours ago, Boostin' Kev said:

Where in Leith are you?  Don't think we've had anything from them and we're very close to the building.  Planning permission hasn't been granted yet so there's still some hope.

I'm opposite it. Tried to find the leaflet but I must have launched it. It was just a condensed version of what they have on their website, go ahead c.2019

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Tibbermoresaint said:

I'm referring to the area Drum want to redevelop.

But I could say the same about Jane and Tennant Streets. These are low-density commercial units which could be redeveloped and replaced by high-density housing as has happened in plenty of other places in Bonnington and Leith.

Wind up, back to work.

1 minute ago, Tibbermoresaint said:

I'm referring to the area Drum want to redevelop.

But I could say the same about Jane and Tennant Streets. These are low-density commercial units which could be redeveloped and replaced by high-density housing as has happened in plenty of other places in Bonnington and Leith.

Both streets are filled units for mostly thriving and eclectic small businesses. It's not an area that needs redeveloping whatsoever. 

6 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

I'm opposite it. Tried to find the leaflet but I must have launched it. It was just a condensed version of what they have on their website, go ahead c.2019

Saw the latest one on the Save Leith Walk Facebook page earlier, cheers anyway. 

3 minutes ago, Boostin' Kev said:

Both streets are filled units for mostly thriving and eclectic small businesses. It's not an area that needs redeveloping whatsoever. 

It might not need redeveloping but I'll put money on it looking very different in 20 years time. Which would be a shame. Not many streets have 3 breweries and a distillery on them.

Just now, Tibbermoresaint said:

It might not need redeveloping but I'll put money on it looking very different in 20 years time. Which would be a shame. Not many streets have 3 breweries and a distillery on them.

Unfortunately it's bound to get shafted by ECC in favour of a private developer at some point. Those two streets have never been so prosperous in the time I've known them, would be great to see it continue. 

Student Housing like this is not for regular students, how many second years are paying upwards of £800 a month for a shitty studio flat style glorified halls of residence? You chip in with your pals and get a flat.
They're for rich foreign students but there's only so many of them given the proliferation of this type of accomodation.
These flats are a money spinner for the developer, they can get more of them on a smaller footprint and don't have to provide parking. The flats are smaller than for regular dwellings, when this bubble bursts they'll get turned into super shite cramped social housing.
The idea that this development helps the housing market for the ordinary person in Edinburgh is false. This is a huge site that could've been covered in dense 'affordable' accomodation for the people that live here.
And get these Air BnBs to f**k and all. Fucking 1 bedroom flats in my close going for £250k plus, half the close has become short term let's since last summer.
Exactly this. Particularly regular students being unable to afford £800 a month in rent.

15 hours ago, Boostin' Kev said:

I was at the meeting at the Theatre last Wednesday the boy from Drum did come across as though he was just doing a box ticking exercise. 

Yeah it's pretty much just a procedural point before they submit their full planning application. There's normally a report included in the planning application which summarises the pre application consultation typically stuffed with mealy mouthed commitments to doing, erm, not a lot to allay peoples concerns.

I'm fully expecting them to be saying to folk just now "We'll look to preserve the red sandstone that currently exists at the site" but when it comes to submitting the application it will have been decided that this isn't feasible.

11 hours ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

They've already started building flats at the Bonnington Road end of that footprint, behind the school.

There's houses there as well, they built streets worth very quickly.  At least that was empty land beforehand and as a result Pilrig Park has had work done to it since then and is looking better than ever.

37 minutes ago, RiG said:

Yeah it's pretty much just a procedural point before they submit their full planning application. There's normally a report included in the planning application which summarises the pre application consultation typically stuffed with mealy mouthed commitments to doing, erm, not a lot to allay peoples concerns.

I'm fully expecting them to be saying to folk just now "We'll look to preserve the red sandstone that currently exists at the site" but when it comes to submitting the application it will have been decided that this isn't feasible.

There was a lot of people that seemed to believe that they could work alongside Drum influencing them to make concessions like keeping the existing building, must be nice to be so optimistic.  They all now seem to be coming to the realisation that to preserve the building and businesses there the planning permission has to be blocked. 

On 24/05/2018 at 12:20, Boostin' Kev said:

There's a proposed development planned for the sandstone building between Stead's Place and Jane Street for student flats. There's a lot of strong feeling in the area against this and Leith losing a lot of what makes the area so good.

Regardless of your football team please lend a bit of support to the cause against it. This is a welcoming area of the capital city and no matter what team you support you'll always meet a friend here.

https://www.facebook.com/saveleithwalk/

f**k it! This is shit hole mixed with smack and buckfast 

• 4 weeks later...

Jeremy Corbyn pulling a PR blinder here today for the Save Leith Walk demo at the Kirkgate. Gave a speech and had pics taken signing a petition and holding the t shirt up. 

People in Edinburgh are getting hyped against all the student developments, and with this proposed one it's gone national in the media. Today will hopefully raise awareness to the rest of the UK even if they're not supporters of Labour. 

• 1 month later...

Spoke to the wifie in Candersons the day, her and the music shop are a different landlord so are staying. Everything getting boarded up now except EFF, punjabi, the depot and the cafe. No looking good, its up to Edinburgh uni now.

• 3 months later...
16 hours ago, Tibbermoresaint said:

That article's riddled with errors. And that's after they've corrected the one where they confused the Royal High School and St James hotels.

These type of articles often are. It's not the point really though imo. 

• 2 months later...

Archived