• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After watching the game yesterday there is a need for a few loan signings I think:-
- Keeper (although Grant looks like a fantastic addition to any beach volleyball outfit he is somewhat wanting).
- Right back (no fault of Thomson’s but he kept drifting in to Central positions). Especially if Cammy Ballantyne is going to be out long term.
- and a 6ft 2” Centre Forward to nod down all those high balls to Rory Loy (Mark Hateley ish).
Definitely think the player ability is there but there is a real lack of FIRE in the belly. If we don’t score within 20 minutes the momentum just goes.

1 hour ago, Outside Looking In said:

After watching the game yesterday there is a need for a few loan signings I think:-
- Keeper (although Grant looks like a fantastic addition to any beach volleyball outfit he is somewhat wanting).
- Right back (no fault of Thomson’s but he kept drifting in to Central positions). Especially if Cammy Ballantyne is going to be out long term.
- and a 6ft 2” Centre Forward to nod down all those high balls to Rory Loy (Mark Hateley ish).
Definitely think the player ability is there but there is a real lack of FIRE in the belly. If we don’t score within 20 minutes the momentum just goes.

Our only hope for new players is that C and G systems take on new staff. 

1 hour ago, Outside Looking In said:

A mixture of nonsense and dreams I think... Steve's reaction to the question of more squad additions after the game yesterday didn't fill me with confidence. I'm hopefully we might get 1 or 2 at the most.... but it is down to the board to agree to give him the funds to do that.

You will have to settle for the 'keeper we have though.

Bringing anyone in will be very difficult. With loans, the parent club and player would want assurances of regular playing time (which, with our starting 11, we wouldn't be able to guarantee). With the remaining budget (if any) we'd struggle to get anyone half decent on a permanent deal, and if we sign a few guys who are way off the pace just to make up the numbers, that's not ideal either. Difficult situation.

We will not sign a keeper as we have 2. Whether we think they are good enough is neither here nor there.
I would doubt a RB would cone in either, with ballantyne, little, Thomson and Perry all able to play there we won't waste a wage.
6ft2 centre forward I would doubt also, we have enough strikers, again whether we think they are good enough or will score enough doesn't matter.
So, if we sign anyone, which even though I think we should as we are a bit light on numbers, it will be someone that can play LB, and another CM that's all I can see coming in if any.
Can we play trialists in league 1?

Unless C&G suddenly need more bodies, or an Arab Prince suddenly takes interest in us what we have is what we have. Stevie made a decision to use the budget the way he did, and now he's got to work with it.

You can play trialists in League One though, aye.

Unless C&G suddenly need more bodies, or an Arab Prince suddenly takes interest in us what we have is what we have. Stevie made a decision to use the budget the way he did, and now he's got to work with it.
You can play trialists in League One though, aye.

That could be very useful to us, although I'd still like to think there's a penny or two left for a loan.

There are 2 ways in which we can now add to the squad:

1. He moves a player on and uses their wage to get someone in (not what we want because squad depth is the issue - would also possibly require some sort of pay-off for the leaving player).
2. Someone agrees to play for free.

The budget is spent.  There are no pennies left. Unless Aberdeen or Motherwell or Celtic fancy sending us a loan player and agree to cover the entirety of their wage then we are going with what we've got.  

Kenny miller to the sons, would we want him? I’d take him,

I presume your suggestion is very much with tongue in cheek, but I'd suspect the budget being spent would put paid to any idea of SPL loanees never-mind Kenny Miller.

But yes, I'd take him in a heartbeat just while we're at it, he'd run amok at this level.

There are 2 ways in which we can now add to the squad:
1. He moves a player on and uses their wage to get someone in (not what we want because squad depth is the issue - would also possibly require some sort of pay-off for the leaving player).
2. Someone agrees to play for free.
The budget is spent.  There are no pennies left. Unless Aberdeen or Motherwell or Celtic fancy sending us a loan player and agree to cover the entirety of their wage then we are going with what we've got.  

That is concerning.

We have a very strong first sixteen but once we start getting injuries/suspensions (i.e. now) it starts getting sticky. I think the hope of a Prince coming in and investing as has been mentioned could be our only hope.

27 minutes ago, DumbartonTheSons said:

That is concerning.

We have a very strong first sixteen but once we start getting injuries/suspensions (i.e. now) it starts getting sticky. I think the hope of a Prince coming in and investing as has been mentioned could be our only hope.

It was always going to be the problem with this approach to squad building.  It was Aitken's choice to build the squad like this and if we do end up in the shit then he'll take responsibility for it.

If this Prince could arrive before the start of October (a period in which we go a full month without a home fixture) then that would probably help us out too though. 

If we can't find a magic money tree, a wealthy benefactor or about 100 folk wanting a season ticket then the money won't be there for another player.

SPFL money is down. Revenue from tickets is down through lower prices and lower crowds. This is the reality of league one. We either find a way to bring in more cash or we go with what we have.

At our level it's a tough choice between perceived quality like Loy and Forbes or quantity.  Wages for those 2 probably combine to the value of 3 squad players. Or 2 and a couple of loans.

40 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

It was always going to be the problem with this approach to squad building.  It was Aitken's choice to build the squad like this and if we do end up in the shit then he'll take responsibility for it.

If this Prince could arrive before the start of October (a period in which we go a full month without a home fixture) then that would probably help us out too though. 

Yeah i guess weve spunked away our budget and we are running the risk of struggling to put out a decent first 11.Damned if you do, damned if you dont......had SA gone for quantity that wouldnt necessarily mean a good team.Now on paper we have a good team with players willing and able to cover different positions.In that  respect he has done a decent job.Now if he could just change our awful style of play and get us playing as a team.I cant even bring myself to look at the highlights again...its just turgid.

Archived