• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

My sources tell me they weren't happy about his reluctance to wave at the fans.

Morton must be really pissed off with this swap deal, we've taken a coach that wasn't even employed by them and given them nothing in return. Shrewd business IMHO.

I'm delighted for him too but a bit pissed off that we lost him for the tail end of last season for nothing. We might still have lost the cup final and been relegated had he been available but it's a real pity we never had that chance. Of course, we'll never know if he would've made a difference and can't change it in any case.

16 minutes ago, microdave said:

I'm delighted for him too but a bit pissed off that we lost him for the tail end of last season for nothing. We might still have lost the cup final and been relegated had he been available but it's a real pity we never had that chance. Of course, we'll never know if he would've made a difference and can't change it in any case.

I’ve spoken to Christian and conveyed the support from the fans. He was also gutted that he missed out on the final and the run in, especially since it was for reasons that obviously weren’t his fault.

Hopefully things really pick up for him now.

37 minutes ago, pleslie99 said:
1 hour ago, Stevie Aitken said:

Delighted for him. Gutted we couldn't give him a proper send off.

The bit where it said ‘nearly collapsed in the dock after being cleared of all wrongdoing’ made me so sad.

I notice that we haven't had a league goal from one of our strikers since the 4th of August - Calum Gallagher v East Fife. Considering we have guys like Loy, Aitchison and Gallagher in our squad that is a seriously odd stat after 7 games.

Loy has passed up numerous chances, there's no denying it. Aitchison has only started 3 games and does look to be a very decent addition. The question marks for me are around the Gallagher exclusion. It's completely bizarre. Our strikers can't buy a goal at the minute and we have a guy who has scored 4 goals in his last 8 league starts (2 of those coming at Championship level, another in the playoffs) wasting away on the bench. He was hooked at half time against Forfar and has barely been seen since. It really does look like he is being punished for missing a penalty, Aitken was fuming about it at the time.

I don't think our insistence on lumping balls up the park (how much better do we look when we keep it on the deck!?) is helping the plight of our strikers but they have to be doing better. Callum Gallagher may not be the answer but he sure as hell deserves a chance to at least prove that. This is the same guy that folk were sticking money on to be the League 1 top scorer this season and he can't get a game up front over a midfielder, a finished Russell and a seriously out of sorts Rory Loy.

36 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I notice that we haven't had a league goal from one of our strikers since the 4th of August - Calum Gallagher v East Fife. Considering we have guys like Loy, Aitchison and Gallagher in our squad that is a seriously odd stat after 7 games.

Loy has passed up numerous chances, there's no denying it. Aitchison has only started 3 games and does look to be a very decent addition. The question marks for me are around the Gallagher exclusion. It's completely bizarre. Our strikers can't buy a goal at the minute and we have a guy who has scored 4 goals in his last 8 league starts (2 of those coming at Championship level, another in the playoffs) wasting away on the bench. He was hooked at half time against Forfar and has barely been seen since. It really does look like he is being punished for missing a penalty, Aitken was fuming about it at the time.

I don't think our insistence on lumping balls up the park (how much better do we look when we keep it on the deck!?) is helping the plight of our strikers but they have to be doing better. Callum Gallagher may not be the answer but he sure as hell deserves a chance to at least prove that. This is the same guy that folk were sticking money on to be the League 1 top scorer this season and he can't get a game up front over a midfielder, a finished Russell and a seriously out of sorts Rory Loy.

If I wasn't so hesitant about getting a 3rd dead-sheep-style telting in the last 24 hours from Aitken's Army, I'd give the opinion that this is very poor management from Aitken, and say that he should go. Sooner rather than later.

Maybe our strikers would score with a different style of play. Surely all our strikers can't be duds. I'm sure we've covered it before and Ross forbes will have the stats, but none of our frontman in the past few years have been prolific. We can't argue that we were a small club in a big league, look at Ayr just now, play to shanklands strength and see the damage he does. What do we do? Lump high balls to our wee strikers. The only way this will change is to change the manager. We have guys that will score goals of we play the right game. Come on board do the right thing.

Since the Start of last season up to now, 5 goals have been scored from open play by Strikers in league games. That’s 43 matches and means on average that a striker scorers an open play goal every 8.6 games.

Goals where:-
Mark Stewart Won 2-1 v Brechin
Mark Stewart Drew 1-1 v Morton
Greg Morrison Drew 2-2 v QOS
Calum Gallagher Won 3-2 v Dundee Utd
Calum Gallagher Lost 5-2 v Falkirk

None yet this season!

Good news though! Its 8 league games since the last one (play offs excluded) so we could be in for treat against Raith this Saturday.

Archived