• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yup, our budget certainly won't be the worst in the division - and we do have a good squad of players. We're also well known for giving managers time.
It's obviously difficult to gauge from online discussions and the people you meet at games, but I'd say that there is only a small (but vocal) minority who are in favour of keeping Stevie, so the new man probably wouldn't have a tough job winning round the fans either.
Anyway, this is all pie in the sky at the moment. Stevie's our manager and I don't see that changing until the end of the first quarter at the earliest. Until then we have to hope that whatever happened post-Bonnyrigg happens again and we see a major turnaround. However unlikely that may be.
I don't normally disagree with you S08, but I feel you are being too generous where the squad is concerned.

And really, there are at least two elements in play here; there is the team management and there is the playing staff. Change the former and you are still left with the latter, and whilst new people in the dugout can bring fresh impetus they can't easily or quickly work miracles with players whose fitness levels are questionable and indeed whose best days are behind them. And we have guys like that.

SA will likely fall on his sword but anyone expecting a rerun of the Adamson/Murray handover is being fanciful. Even if everyone was fit I'd have reservations about the ability of the current squad to be top four material.

However, the process of restoring the football team and the club in general has to start somewhere, so if is to be a new face or faces in the dugout then let it happen sooner rather than later.

In saying that I don't knock SA; it can't be easy standing watching Gallagher and Loy pass up game-changing opportunities like they did yesterday.

We are though like a stricken beast right now.

I would think that most aspiring/out of work managers would look at our squad, look at our recent form and believe that they could get more out of the team. 

Absolutely. I don't think there'd be many managers out there at or around this level who would genuinely believe that our squad is playing to the best of their abilities and couldn't get more out of them at the moment.

I don't normally disagree with you S08, but I feel you are being too generous where the squad is concerned.

And really, there are at least two elements in play here; there is the team management and there is the playing staff. Change the former and you are still left with the latter, and whilst new people in the dugout can bring fresh impetus they can't easily or quickly work miracles with players whose fitness levels are questionable and indeed whose best days are behind them. And we have guys like that.

SA will likely fall on his sword but anyone expecting a rerun of the Adamson/Murray handover is being fanciful. Even if everyone was fit I'd have reservations about the ability of the current squad to be top four material.

However, the process of restoring the football team and the club in general has to start somewhere, so if is to be a new face or faces in the dugout then let it happen sooner rather than later.

In saying that I don't knock SA; it can't be easy standing watching Gallagher and Loy pass up game-changing opportunities like they did yesterday.

I appreciate what you're saying, and yes there are some players in our squad 'whose best days are behind them' but I genuinely don't believe that this squad couldn't be transformed into at least a top-four side with the right direction, tactics and motivation. And having their 'best days behind them', unless being loan players, is I'd argue, often the case for Dumbarton players over the last 4-5 years.

I get that there are questions over the fitness of a couple of our players, but while I fully appreciate the dire situation we find ourselves in, nothing will convince me that this squad of players we have isn't capable of much, much more and I'd very much like a new management team to prove that.

9 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Even when including Dowie (35) and Russell (36) - The average age of our starting eleven yesterday was 27 and the sub bench 28.

I'm sure we can all name guys whose "best days were behind them" who contributed to success at DFC: Charlie Gallacher, Davie Wilson, John Cushley, Brian Heron, Ross Mathie, Willie Wallace......

Don't knock experience. It's what we need in the dressing room as much as on the park at the moment.

Could that not be what's happening here? 
Aitken did well with Stranraer, but just because he did (and Brian Reid did the same the following season before it imploded) doesn't mean he'll be a success this season.
There's no sure fire way to success, but something has to change - and whether that's a dramatic upturn in form or the manager, something has to happen quickly. The players look like they aren't playing for him, results are dire and fans are now lashing out at each other. It's horrible.

No other job is regarded in the same way as football management. In any other field, if you have a manager with qualifications, experience and a track record it’s rare to see such a person sacked. “The last six weeks sales figures are below what we expected. We are going to completely ignore your previous three years performance. You’re fired!” It tends not to happen. Bosses in other industries take into consideration any mitigating factors. Rarely would customers queue up to demand the removal of that manager. I’m of course playing devil's advocate here to an extent but how much further forward are Falkirk after sacking two managers? How are Dundee United faring after sacking the guy that Falkirk now see as their saviour? Ross County sacked two managers last season and still got relegated. In the case of all three of these clubs I seriously wonder if by sticking by their managers they might have had better outcomes.
As tends to happen when confidence is low, nothing came off for us on Saturday.

I'm sure we can all name guys whose "best days were behind them" who contributed to success at DFC: Charlie Gallacher, Davie Wilson, John Cushley, Brian Heron, Ross Mathie, Willie Wallace......
Don't knock experience. It's what we need in the dressing room as much as on the park at the moment.

All of them would stroll into this current team

8 hours ago, Howlin' Wilf said:

I’m told that Rankine and Alan Jardine were at the game together on Saturday.

The plot thickens.

Although Rankine moving on was a good thing at the time i believe his contribution to DFC cannot be overlooked. He bought the club and put money in at a time when we were close to going to the wall.He oversaw some good sides in the 90s and got us the stadium move, which like it or not gave the club a boost.Boghead would otherwise have ended up like Firs Park with huge sections of the ground closed to fans.His involvement after a break of 10 years may not necessarliy be a good thing but it may not be bad either.

Archived