• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a very strange signing indeed. I don’t quite know what to make of it. It’s probably the one position we didn’t need.

I can only imagine Aitken was offered him and felt it was too good to turn down. I hope he’s not thinking of something crazy like playing Beany and Gallagher as wingers.

8 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

This is a very strange signing indeed. I don’t quite know what to make of it. It’s probably the one position we didn’t need.

I can only imagine Aitken was offered him and felt it was too good to turn down. I hope he’s not thinking of something crazy like playing Beany and Gallagher as wingers.

Maybe even to stop him going to a rival?  He's maybe been touted around.

Just now, Boghead ranter said:

Maybe even to stop him going to a rival?  He's maybe been touted around.

Possibly. It might give Loy a bit of a Bishop Brennan-esque kick up the arse too. Although I do think we will see a different player once Loy gets his first.

After the Arbroath game, I drew comparison to 1971/72 which only a few of us here remember ( I being one)

In a League Cup group (Home and away) of Stenhousemuir, Stirling Albion ,QoS and ourselves (all in the same league) we got 1 win, 1 draw  and 4 defeats.

In our opening league games we were defeated 3-2 at Boghead by Clydebank, followed by a 2-0 win at Hamilton. We then lost 3-1 at Stranraer, 2-0 at Stirling Albion and had a 2-2 draw at Forfar. The following week we went to Kirkcaldy and lost 6-1. That was played 6 won 1 draw 1 lost 4. Points total after six games = 3  (remembering 2 points for a win) . We had injuries.

For anyone who witnessed it, that was the precursor to probably the most memorable season in Dumbarton FC's history in the last century. We won the second division championship and retuned to the top league for the first time in 50 years.

I am not saying that a turnaround in that fashion is imminent. Neither am I saying it couldn't happen.

Also, as someone who entertains in public on occasion, the reaction of the audience as a contributory factor in performance, can never be underestimated......

I'm not sure where the thinking comes from that we don't need a striker.

Loy hasn't worked so far (for the record I think he will come good) and he missed two sitters against Brechin, Gallagher hasn't had a proper chance to fire yet and I don't think Beany will be a permanent starter upfront.

We've not been spoiled with goals so far so a striker is welcome as far as I'm concerned.

I get that we have an abundance of injuries and most of them to defenders, but when the injury crisis eases and they return, it won't be them that'll win us matches. It'll be the forwards. So if we're getting someone who knows how to stick it in the onion bag, then grand.

Where the money's coming for it however... who knows.

18 minutes ago, Howlin' Wilf said:

After the Arbroath game, I drew comparison to 1971/72 which only a few of us here remember ( I being one)

In a League Cup group (Home and away) of Stenhousemuir, Stirling Albion ,QoS and ourselves (all in the same league) we got 1 win, 1 draw  and 4 defeats.

In our opening league games we were defeated 3-2 at Boghead by Clydebank, followed by a 2-0 win at Hamilton. We then lost 3-1 at Stranraer, 2-0 at Stirling Albion and had a 2-2 draw at Forfar. The following week we went to Kirkcaldy and lost 6-1. That was played 6 won 1 draw 1 lost 4. Points total after six games = 3  (remembering 2 points for a win) . We had injuries.

For anyone who witnessed it, that was the precursor to probably the most memorable season in Dumbarton FC's history in the last century. We won the second division championship and retuned to the top league for the first time in 50 years.

I am not saying that a turnaround in that fashion is imminent. Neither am I saying it couldn't happen.

Also, as someone who entertains in public on occasion, the reaction of the audience as a contributory factor in performance, can never be underestimated......

Accies game was actually at Boghead. Imagine starting Brian Goodwin ahead of Charlie Gallagher or Johnny Graham though? Surely just a coincidence that when Goodwin was binned,, we won our next game 6-2 at Douglas Park.

46 minutes ago, lionel wickson said:

Accies game was actually at Boghead. Imagine starting Brian Goodwin ahead of Charlie Gallagher or Johnny Graham though? Surely just a coincidence that when Goodwin was binned,, we won our next game 6-2 at Douglas Park.

Sorry, a mistake.  The Hamilton game was at home - I was there!

48 minutes ago, lionel wickson said:

KW hat trick, Roy McC (2) and Brian Gallagher.

1 hour ago, Howlin' Wilf said:

A pedant writes.... Overestimated surely?

1 minute ago, Howlin' Wilf said:

If you say so. It's late and single malt is involved!

Don't worry about it, Wilf. The Guardian's always getting the two mixed up and they don't - or shouldn't - have the excuse of a single malt.

1 hour ago, DumbartonTheSons said:

Loy hasn't worked so far (for the record I think he will come good) and he missed two sitters against Brechin, Gallagher hasn't had a proper chance to fire yet and I don't think Beany will be a permanent starter upfront.

We've not been spoiled with goals so far so a striker is welcome as far as I'm concerned.

I get that we have an abundance of injuries and most of them to defenders, but when the injury crisis eases and they return, it won't be them that'll win us matches. It'll be the forwards. So if we're getting someone who knows how to stick it in the onion bag, then grand.

Strikers can be temperamental individuals and they rely greatly on confidence.  Rory Loy seems to have very little at present, and for every Charlie Gibson and Chris Kane there can be five of Eddie Annand, Stevie Craig, Isaac English, Stevie Mallan, Greg Morrison and Ally Roy.

I'm not sure we have unlimited time for him to hopefully come good and at some point soon SA might be faced with a stick or twist dilemma. The Aitchison story (if true) is very left-field and you wonder whether someone might be underwriting a deal; if so then fair play to them.

3 hours ago, DumbartonTheSons said:

Can't disagree with any of this really. If we had stuck away a couple of the (very decent) chances on Saturday vs Brechin we could have won 4-3 and the same against Arbroath in the 1-1 draw. I don't think anyone would be overly bothered about losing 4 goals a match if we were scoring 5 and winning. I think that as bad as we have been performing we are still creating chances and should have scored quite a few more goals.

I'm hoping that the reason we maybe aren't signing a defender is that one (or more) of them will likely return in the next couple of weeks... :unsure2:

It's not just the lack of points which are the worry, it is the performances. If their were signs of the team playing as a spirited unit I could accept the slow start but it's hard to see where the next point is coming from or how.

Archived