• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good win tonight hopefully we can kick on from that.
A concern for me would be our bench tonight had only 4 subs one of which was a GK. I reckon we need at least another 2 bodies in to be able to cover for injuries/suspensions. Hopefully the budget can stretch to that

Was going to stay in the Balloch House but changed my mind at the last moment. By Zeus, I'm glad I did.

Shows what happens when you get stuck in from the start. That totally ruined Morton's game-plan, I would think, as well as giving the Smokies something to ponder,

Biggest positive for me last night was undoubtedly Beany. He looked far more like the guy he was, it was like something just clicked and all of a sudden he found everything that made him such a nightmare to play against.

His goal was an excellent finish, and the result of a typically good bit of movement (having watched it back his body was probably fractionally offside, though I had to slow it right down and pause it), but that's not even what I'm meaning here. He had that aggression back that makes him pick up yellow cards all over the shop. He was charging at defenders, harrying them, winning cheap fouls, squaring up to folk. Even his booking for absolutely pole-axing the Morton player cheered me up, because that's exactly the sort of thing he used to do.

He was being far too nice, and I just assumed that taking a step out of the game meant that he looked at the bigger picture. I feared that had removed the side of his game that always puts him on the edge of terrorising a defence or being sent-off. Delighted to see the guy who always played against us return.

I thought his pace had gone a wee bit too, but he was seriously nippy. Mad that he's 36 later this year yet still looks almost the same as he did 12 years ago (minus the blonde hair dye). 

A real selection headache for Aitken this weekend, which isn't a bad thing.

The flat 442 suited us, Paton and Barr were far more effective out wide and Russell put in an excellent shift up front. I'd probably look at bringing Seagal in for Thomson if he's fit but I also thought he was good last night.

I have a feeling Forbes will start but I'm really not sure who I'd be dropping to accommodate him. Even Carswell and Hutton worked quite well last night.

Really encouraged by last night, especially the first half. It was a bit backs to the wall late on but held on impressively. Bobby Barr and Ryan Thomson both looked excellent and what a difference a fit Beanie makes. Definitely concerned about the squad size, a couple of injuries and there could be problems, but play like that first 45 and it should be a decent season, and I'll hopefully manage a few more games this year.

Biggest positive for me last night was undoubtedly Beany. He looked far more like the guy he was, it was like something just clicked and all of a sudden he found everything that made him such a nightmare to play against.
His goal was an excellent finish, and the result of a typically good bit of movement (having watched it back his body was probably fractionally offside, though I had to slow it right down and pause it), but that's not even what I'm meaning here. He had that aggression back that makes him pick up yellow cards all over the shop. He was charging at defenders, harrying them, winning cheap fouls, squaring up to folk. Even his booking for absolutely pole-axing the Morton player cheered me up, because that's exactly the sort of thing he used to do.
He was being far too nice, and I just assumed that taking a step out of the game meant that he looked at the bigger picture. I feared that had removed the side of his game that always puts him on the edge of terrorising a defence or being sent-off. Delighted to see the guy who always played against us return.
I thought his pace had gone a wee bit too, but he was seriously nippy. Mad that he's 36 later this year yet still looks almost the same as he did 12 years ago (minus the blonde hair dye). 
Where did you manage to watch it back?

9 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:
21 minutes ago, Ross Forbes said:

Where did you manage to watch it back?

A wee guy put a vlog up of it on YouTube. He misses Paton's goal, but catches Beany's perfectly. It's about 3 and a half minutes in. Lots of seethe in this too, which is pleasant 

Really encouraged by last night, especially the first half. It was a bit backs to the wall late on but held on impressively. Bobby Barr and Ryan Thomson both looked excellent and what a difference a fit Beanie makes. Definitely concerned about the squad size, a couple of injuries and there could be problems, but play like that first 45 and it should be a decent season, and I'll hopefully manage a few more games this year.
Ryan Thomson WAS excellent in filling two completely different roles and fully deserves a start this weekend. It's a while since we've had anyone in a forward position whom the ball 'sticks' to.

Aitken definitely has to start the same team on Saturday, I certainly wouldn’t be shoe horning in Forbes , seagal, or Loy into the team, beanie back to his best, much fitter, bobby Barr well up for it, and Thomson would rag doll big daddy. Definitely 442 works for us.

Somebody will miss out on Saturday but it's difficult to pick who. I thought Beany's all round play was good last night. His runs were smart and he was grafting. Thomson looked good and actually pressed further up the park when we didn't have possession, as well as always offering the midfield an out ball if we did.

I wouldn't rush Loy or Forbes into the side. 4-4-1-1 worked well. The only change we might need to make will depend on who we have for right back, particularly if Perry has to cover for Barr.

The attitude last night was the big thing for me. We had a team that was organised and committed and it was a huge improvement on the Forfar game. Regardless of the score on Saturday against Arbroath, a repeat of the effort from last night will be a welcome improvement.

1 hour ago, Ross Forbes said:

A wee guy put a vlog up of it on YouTube. He misses Paton's goal, but catches Beany's perfectly. It's about 3 and a half minutes in. Lots of seethe in this too, which is pleasant 

Where did this trend of spotty wee bawbags taking videos of their away days come from? Absolutely awful chat. Hope he had a dreadful night.

19 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

Somebody will miss out on Saturday but it's difficult to pick who. I thought Beany's all round play was good last night. His runs were smart and he was grafting. Thomson looked good and actually pressed further up the park when we didn't have possession, as well as always offering the midfield an out ball if we did.

I wouldn't rush Loy or Forbes into the side. 4-4-1-1 worked well. The only change we might need to make will depend on who we have for right back, particularly if Perry has to cover for Barr.

The attitude last night was the big thing for me. We had a team that was organised and committed and it was a huge improvement on the Forfar game. Regardless of the score on Saturday against Arbroath, a repeat of the effort from last night will be a welcome improvement.

Think Barr was taken off as a precaution last night, he was clattered in the first half pretty badly but played on. Hopeful he'll be fine for Saturday after a few days rest.

2 hours ago, Ross Forbes said:

That room he’s in at the start looks like the work of a serial killer.

Archived