3 minutes ago, squeezeboxson said:

I'm no expert but who in our side has lots of experience taking penalties? Some people have it in their head that someone like Loy should automatically take penalties but I'm not sure he has ever been the penalty taker at previous sides.

The penalty is irrelevant, I’m sure the outcome would’ve been the same even if Gallagher had scored. However, I’d imagine several had more experience in taking penalties.

What’s most deflating for me is that we know Aitken will never change his tactical approach or selection of players. Which of course makes it very difficult for things to change.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For me the penalty taker should be the player willing to take on the responsibility.

It's easy for heads to go down with a missed penalty. If somebody is willing to step up and take it then they're an appropriate choice for penalty taker.

Keeper excepted - unless you're Jorge Campos from the Mexican national side of the 90s.

Well now haven't looked back the posts but all he sons fans who said lets get relegated as in league 1 the football will be a better watch and we'll be more entertaining. Time to wake up guys

right from the off today we had no width similar to last week. Tactical change bizarre during first half. 

I also thought too easy to blame Hutton . Was he good no but was as effective as every other player.(or ineffective).

what was noticeable was the pace of our play which is ridiculously pedestrian. Again dyer and Hutton easy targets with nothing happening in front of them.

in terms of this season Andy little has been close to our best yet was the one to watch the whole game.

i don't get the carswell Hutton arguement as I don't see them colliding or getting in each other's road.

40 minutes ago, squeezeboxson said:

I'm no expert but who in our side has lots of experience taking penalties? Some people have it in their head that someone like Loy should automatically take penalties but I'm not sure he has ever been the penalty taker at previous sides.

Loy was a penalty taker at Falkirk, Dundee and St Mirren. Alan Martin saved his last effort in a Sons game though 8)

5 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

Too early for a Sons’ Sorrow Part II..?

Yes.

Today was shite and folk can have some very justified moans.

But we're 2 games into the season and that makes it far too early for another "Sons Sorrow".  We need guys to get up to speed in terms of the aggression and tempo they'll be facing. We need a good performance next week to show that we can adapt to life in League One and that we're not going to see another season of doom and gloom.

Just now, Ross Forbes said:

Loy was a penalty taker at Falkirk, Dundee and St Mirren. Alan Martin saved his last effort in a Sons game though 8)

Doesn't mean he should automatically be the penalty taker here though. There is nothing bizarre about any player taking a penalty. U less it is the 'keeper which is a bit weird given the positional difficulties should he miss.

1 minute ago, BallochSonsFan said:

Yes.

But we're 2 games into the season and that makes it far too early for another "Sons Sorrow".  We need guys to get up to speed in terms of the aggression and tempo they'll be facing. We need a good performance next week to show that we can adapt to life in League One and that we're not going to see another season of doom and gloom.

Yep! Couldn't agree more. We need to get behind the guys and give them a chance, 2 games into the season isn't really enough time to get up to speed. Hopefully most of them do see this as the kick up the are they are needing...

Just now, squeezeboxson said:

Doesn't mean he should automatically be the penalty taker here though. There is nothing bizarre about any player taking a penalty. U less it is the 'keeper which is a bit weird given the positional difficulties should he miss.

I agree. Calum Gallagher's been a decent penalty taker for us (scored his last 4 including Betfred games I think) and I wasn't surprised at all that he stepped up. The 'keeper saved it, but these things happen. 

Even Bryan Prunty and Scott Agnew missed penalties for us, so it's no big deal as far as I'm concerned. It was an alright penalty, it was on target, the 'keeper went the right way and made a good save. 

We've won 10 home games in all competitions since the start of last season. That's 10/32 including victory against Rangers' youth team.

That only includes four league games too. Four home league wins in a year and a month. 19 games.

2 hours ago, BallochSonsFan said:

Yes.

Sons' Sorrow II was massively tongue-in-cheek, to be fair.

However, I will say this. I'd class myself as one of the more optimistic Sons fans. I am not a fan of knee-jerk reactions to individual games, but today has really drained the optimism I had for this season.

Archived