• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Ross Forbes said:

Today's programme cover looks absolutely sensational. I'm absolutely loving the retro cover designs.

coverprog.thumb.jpg.84811c42596e8cd9304b1e64a5f064f8.jpg

These retro covers are a great idea, hopefully see a few more getting sold on matchdays.

Kudos to the brains behind them.

25 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I remember the glory days when we used to announce our team at 2pm.

It's a long time for the team sheet to get out to Italy, and then back onto the club Twitter ;)

Adam; Perry, Dowie, Barr, Dyer; Carswell, Hutton; Paton, Thomson, Barr; Gallagher

Subs: Ballantyne, Little, Forbes, Russell, Loy, McGowan

I stuck it on the other thread, but there'll likely be more chat in here.

I enjoyed that today. Sure the result wasn't what we were looking for, but for a Betfred game (especially one involving us) it was entertaining, and we put up a really good fight against one of the Premiership's best sides from the second half of last season.

The only worry was how poor the goals were that we conceded. On Tuesday it was commented on that the defence were guilty of looking a bit casual at times, and that was a wee bit too noticeable again today. The first goal was a good finish, but the guy was given too much time in a dangerous position, the second was a total disaster caused (I think) by a mixup in communication between Mango and Adam and the third looked like we allowed Kris Boyd (of all people) a free header from a corner.

We know that Dowie and Mango are excellent players though, so despite their two shaky performances this week (Mango today, Dowie on Tuesday) I don't think it's something I'll be losing sleep over. I thought Willie Dyer had a good game and dealt pretty well with the threat posed by Burke and O'Donnell, whilst Jones didn't have anywhere near as much joy against Perry as I'd feared. In fact, distribution aside, I thought Perry looked far more comfortable than he did against Queen's Park.

I was pleased with how we looked going forward. Paton had another really lively game, curling in a beauty of a cross for the opener, and almost bettering it with a cross that Ryan Thomson very nearly scored from. His fitness is nowhere near 100%, and he tired after 75 minutes or so, but I can see him being a really good player for us.

I also thought that it was the best Bobby Barr's played so far in his short time with us. He did some really good winger things (beat the full-back, whip a cross in) a couple of times, and took his goal really well. You can't fault his workrate defensively either.

Calum Gallagher lead the line well and, despite being isolated, forced Scott Boyd especially into quite a few errors. I can see a partnership between him and Loy working well.

On Rory, I was ready for him to look like a guy who hasn't kicked a ball since February, but I was delighted to be proved wrong. He played a huge part in the second goal (Ryan Thomson's dummy :wub:) and looked really intelligent and comfortable on the ball. He won quite a few cheap fouls too - which is something we've lacked in a striker. His pass pretty much lead to Boyd's fourth goal, but by that stage we had launched almost everyone forward, so again I'm not too concerned about that.

Whatever happens next week in Paisley, this Betfred Cup campaign has been far more promising on the pitch than any other we've 'competed' in. If we get through that game without any injuries then I'll be very happy with how things are looking, especially with guys like Loy and Ballantyne still to reach full match fitness.

I stuck it on the other thread, but there'll likely be more chat in here.
I enjoyed that today. Sure the result wasn't what we were looking for, but for a Betfred game (especially one involving us) it was entertaining, and we put up a really good fight against one of the Premiership's best sides from the second half of last season.
The only worry was how poor the goals were that we conceded. On Tuesday it was commented on that the defence were guilty of looking a bit casual at times, and that was a wee bit too noticeable again today. The first goal was a good finish, but the guy was given too much time in a dangerous position, the second was a total disaster caused (I think) by a mixup in communication between Mango and Adam and the third looked like we allowed Kris Boyd (of all people) a free header from a corner.
We know that Dowie and Mango are excellent players though, so despite their two shaky performances this week (Mango today, Dowie on Tuesday) I don't think it's something I'll be losing sleep over. I thought Willie Dyer had a good game and dealt pretty well with the threat posed by Burke and O'Donnell, whilst Jones didn't have anywhere near as much joy against Perry as I'd feared. In fact, distribution aside, I thought Perry looked far more comfortable than he did against Queen's Park.
I was pleased with how we looked going forward. Paton had another really lively game, curling in a beauty of a cross for the opener, and almost bettering it with a cross that Ryan Thomson very nearly scored from. His fitness is nowhere near 100%, and he tired after 75 minutes or so, but I can see him being a really good player for us.
I also thought that it was the best Bobby Barr's played so far in his short time with us. He did some really good winger things (beat the full-back, whip a cross in) a couple of times, and took his goal really well. You can't fault his workrate defensively either.
Calum Gallagher lead the line well and, despite being isolated, forced Scott Boyd especially into quite a few errors. I can see a partnership between him and Loy working well.
On Rory, I was ready for him to look like a guy who hasn't kicked a ball since February, but I was delighted to be proved wrong. He played a huge part in the second goal (Ryan Thomson's dummy :wub:) and looked really intelligent and comfortable on the ball. He won quite a few cheap fouls too - which is something we've lacked in a striker. His pass pretty much lead to Boyd's fourth goal, but by that stage we had launched almost everyone forward, so again I'm not too concerned about that.
Whatever happens next week in Paisley, this Betfred Cup campaign has been far more promising on the pitch than any other we've 'competed' in. If we get through that game without any injuries then I'll be very happy with how things are looking, especially with guys like Loy and Ballantyne still to reach full match fitness.
I don't think Dyer was great today. Especially 1st half, beaten too easily and sucked out of position too easily, seemed to me that anytime he got beat he gave up. Adam looked a bit shakey also, don't know why he chose to punch (unconvincingly) so much instead of catching the ball. Other than that I think it was a good team performance. Gallagher done well considering he was isolated, B.Barr looked very good and direct and as I said on the other thread Dowie was a rock. Didn't lose a header all day.

Ross Perry got a lot of negative innuendo, to paraphrase, before he even kicked a ball for us.

2 good performances so far, out of position too at times. Fair play to him. 

He'll be a decent addition to our squad on what I've seen.

Ross Perry got a lot of negative innuendo, to paraphrase, before he even kicked a ball for us.
2 good performances so far, out of position too at times. Fair play to him. 
He'll be a decent addition to our squad on what I've seen.

He will, at centre half. I can't reiterate enough though... he's never ever a right back.

He definitely wasn't good against Queens Park, I think people's opinions are being skewed because they expected him to be god awful and he isn't.

On the evidence of yesterday, Rory Loy will fucking piss this league. I thought he was excellent when he came on and I look forward to seeing him lining up next to Gallagher, who worked his fucking arse off yesterday for very little in return. It really is all down to Stevie and Durrant now, we have the players there to have a crack at this league, all about playing them in the right places and keeping them injury free where possible.

For the collectors of (possibly) rare programmes: Aberdeen v Sons, "13 Jan '73". This game was postponed and I don't know if a new programme was issued for the re-arranged midweek fixture on 20th February. (6-0 to Aberdeen in front of 7,852 shivering souls.) Get there before Robbo does, just in case.

AFC v Sons 1973

See, I'm not such a bad ol' bugger after all.

On the strips front, the one I'd ordered for my daughter arrived at weekend. Very quick turn around. Quality is much better this time with a proper embroidered badge. 

It's actually grown on me a bit though still think the thin gold bands are unnecessary and a clean white would have been better. 

Archived