• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 18/07/2018 at 10:47, Ross Forbes said:

Was it the white noise guy (as I've decided to call him) who just shrieks 'CAAAMMAAAAN' or (last night) 'FAARRWWAAARRDD' and 'QQUUUICCKKAAA'? 

A guy over in the black strip section was urging us to 'Get it in the box' every time Adam took a short goal-kick to one of the centre-backs too. Clearly not a fan of our Barca style of play.

Somebody slip some of that 'Spice' drug into his Bovril please. :1eye

CAAAMMMM....ONNN.....zzzzzzzzzzz

12 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I was really pretty low at the prospect of yet another day of untrammelled sunshine on an idyllic Greek island but that news has cheered me immensely. Thanks Wilf.

Seriously, that IS very good news indeed, Stevie is a first class operator.

The sunshine is just as untrammelled in Rhu :P

Interesting documentary here about a club who tried to sell their land to move to a new stadium. They played their last game at Boghead on 28th April 1967, the (Friday) night before Scotland beat England at Wembley. The story of the demise of Third Lanark features former Son Alan McKay. Gaelic commentary with subtitles.

On ‎18‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 21:54, cameron2000 said:

One thing that does my nut in is how little understanding our fans have about how football works. I was quite enjoying seeing us attempt to pass out from the back yesterday but if we didn’t go straight forwards multiple groans would sound

I much prefer playing out from the back.

The general stats show that the chances of retaining the ball from a long kick are 50.4% - so just over half - to be expected really.

The chances of retaining the ball if the keeper plays it out are 97.4%! much better. Although it does indicate that the first person who receives the ball loses it 2.6 times out of every 100!

We need to look a little deeper though. If playing out from the back is so successful, why doesn't every team do it? Does this raise questions about the technical ability of the players and are they able to hold onto the ball and distribute it effectively? 

The general stats show that the chances of retaining the ball from a long kick are 50.4% - so just over half - to be expected really.   The chances of retaining the ball if the keeper plays it out are 97.4%! much better. Although it does indicate that the first person who receives the ball loses it 2.6 times out of every 100!   We need to look a little deeper though. If playing out from the back is so successful, why doesn't every team do it? Does this raise questions about the technical ability of the players and are they able to hold onto the ball and distribute it effectively?   

If a team with less footballing ability tries to play out from the back against a better team in this country, they will likely be pressed until they with lose the ball or punt it long anyway. Some teams like Man City will actually try and play through the press but clearly we aren’t in the same situation.

It’s also worth noting that the defence needs to be comfortable on the ball. I believe that Craig Barr and Andy Dowie are good enough to do it in league one but trying it tomorrow would be a disaster waiting to happen.

In Spain teams in general press a lot less and its almost an un-written rule that teams are allowed a decent spell of possession.

54 minutes ago, Sons FC said:

The general stats show that the chances of retaining the ball from a long kick are 50.4% - so just over half - to be expected really.

The chances of retaining the ball if the keeper plays it out are 97.4%! much better. Although it does indicate that the first person who receives the ball loses it 2.6 times out of every 100!

We need to look a little deeper though. If playing out from the back is so successful, why doesn't every team do it? Does this raise questions about the technical ability of the players and are they able to hold onto the ball and distribute it effectively? 

I don’t think we always need to pass out from the back but when the wind picks up/ mid winter. Having the ability to change tactics to this would be a bit help

Archived