5 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I must admit I thought Forbes done OK last night, nothing special. Paton, Carswell and Seagal were our best performers IMO.

First half we had a really good 30 minute spell where we dominated and played some gorgeous stuff. 2nd half we seemed to take our foot off the gas and I thought we looked poor at times and against a better side (nae offence to QP) we would've been punished.

By the end of the game Hutton was just sauntering around like he was out on a Sunday morning stroll, I can only assume this was down to tiredness. Forbes also looked absolutely gassed.

Hutton and Dowie had poor games IMO. I also thought Perry looked lost at right back, despite a couple of nice balls into the box. At times one of the centre backs was looking for a pass ans he didn't know what run to make and at other times he was massively caught out of position after pushing forward. If I was Aitken I'd be making a backup fullback who can cover both sides a priority signing before the real stuff starts.

All in all job done and a decent run out for the players. Guys like Forbes will benefit from another 90 mins in the tank.

Most of this aye. Forbes has quality but doesn't quite look up to speed yet. Hopefully with time. Paton looks a great addition. Thought Beany looked fitter/sharper than he did all of last season, that doesn't mean he will be any better at football though...

Defence looked too laid back - evidently this is just pre season in the players opinions.

As for the full back situation, I think we will bring in someone young on loan who can cover both sides. I'd also really like us to sign a big young striker on loan who can give us a completely different option up front because I'm concerned if things aren't going well we don't have a plan B yet.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

See the chance Beany had towards the end where the defender got the ball caught under his feet? He buries that chance 2 years ago. Right now, he's fitter and sharper, but he clearly has no confidence and his ability suffers.  He'll probably do a job as a squad player but for me he's our 4th choice striker now. If we're playing two up top then it's Loy and Gallagher all day, every day.

2 hours ago, The Moonster said:

See the chance Beany had towards the end where the defender got the ball caught under his feet? He buries that chance 2 years ago. Right now, he's fitter and sharper, but he clearly has no confidence and his ability suffers.  He'll probably do a job as a squad player but for me he's our 4th choice striker now. If we're playing two up top then it's Loy and Gallagher all day, every day.

More or less said this last night. A fully confident and "on the ball" Beany fires it across the 'keeper into the far corner.

6 hours ago, The Moonster said:

By the way, can anyone explain why that guy in the home end was so raging last night?  He sounded like a dying goat having his balls trodden on.

I really do wonder about our support sometimes, we're a complete madhouse collection of individuals.

Was that the guy in the red? I'm glad someone could understand what he was saying.

Biggest pile of verbal shite last night came - not surprisingly - from Fraser.  Sons' striker narrowly flagged offside in the second-half and he's giving it "Linesman, play to the game not to the crowd!" Yeah, all the home supporters were yelling for the decision to go against their own player.

That guy seriously gets on my tits.

1 hour ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:
1 hour ago, Boghead ranter said:
Should've gone and asked him.

"Awright mate, are you Old Scrotum?"

I hope you are not suggesting that I'm all hip and trendy and can be seen decked out in modern clothing. :huh:

By the way, can anyone explain why that guy in the home end was so raging last night?  He sounded like a dying goat having his balls trodden on.
I really do wonder about our support sometimes, we're a complete madhouse collection of individuals.
I heard him a few times at the tail end of last season. I thought he was going to have a stroke last night.

37 minutes ago, microdave said:
7 hours ago, The Moonster said:

I heard him a few times at the tail end of last season. I thought he was going to have a stroke last night.

Yeh I noticed him last season as well.  It seems like he thinks we should be playing Barca type footy, every play should be an attack. 

We were not perfect by any imagination last night but some people need to realised, 1, we are part time and 2, it’s a brand new squad so they aren’t going to get everything right straightaway.

i would be more worried if we were playing perfectly and banging in loads of goals right now.

6 hours ago, Ross Forbes said:

I've just seen a guy in Central Station wearing a 2006 Sons top.

Which one of you was it?

It was Mad Tam Grimshaw from the Calton. He bought it for a £1 in the British Heart Foundation Shop in Duke Street.

10 hours ago, The Moonster said:

The very guy was at our hospitality table at TNS. He's fine in that context but seems to completely lose the heid whilst watching the game. His faither in law is a well known Sons fan too.

Last night was hardly a thriller but we found out a few things. On the basis of that game, Ross Perry, playing as a right wing back wasn't the bomb scare that we have been warned about. Andy Little looked pretty decent as did Seagal. Moonster mentioned confidence and Callum seems to believe in himself these days.  Hutton and Carswell (THE MANAGEMENT)  had their moments. Forbes and Paton both played well.

It's a bit unfair to judge Beanie and also easy to weigh in on the prevailing opinion of him being finished. He looked leaner and fitter but only had 17 minutes. Mind you saying that, Thomson looked pretty good in his nine minutes.

That's every ounce of positivity I can squeeze out of a pretty uneventful 1-0 home win.

The very guy was at our hospitality table at TNS. He's fine in that context but seems to completely lose the heid whilst watching the game. His faither in law is a well known Sons fan too.

Yeah, I often sit near him at games. He’s a nice enough guy who clearly cares a lot about the club but he can’t control his emotions during the game and sounds like a muppet.

One thing that does my nut in is how little understanding our fans have about how football works. I was quite enjoying seeing us attempt to pass out from the back yesterday but if we didn’t go straight forwards multiple groans would sound

2 minutes ago, cameron2000 said:

Yeah, I often sit near him at games. He’s a nice enough guy who clearly cares a lot about the club but he can’t control his emotions during the game and sounds like a muppet.

One thing that does my nut in is how little understanding our fans have about how football works. I was quite enjoying seeing us attempt to pass out from the back yesterday but if we didn’t go straight forwards multiple groans would sound

Indeed - quite impressed with our passing from defence last night.

Archived