• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Tip of the hat to the groundsman - pitch is looking fantastic considering the condition it was in and the amount of sun we've had. I don't know why but a picture of a lovely pitch ahead of the game gets me really up for it.

DiPa08rXkAYi65T.jpg:large

Second that. Groundsman should be given a free bar for the rest of the season. Must have put in some amount of work/ hours to get pitch to what it is now. Top job

54 minutes ago, Ross Forbes said:

Carsy and Hutton. Hooray.

Recently Carsy has been pushing/pushed forward more, rather than beside Hutton. Having said that, we played in at least three different formations* during Saturday's game at Ainslie. Maybe Stevie was seeing what options he has for changing during a game - something he didn't do last year, of course.

*But I think Carsy was more advanced then Hutton in all of them.

2 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I see Andy Dowie has reverted to pre October 2017 Andy Dowie.

Gae him a chance this is still pre-season effectively.He will get going soon enough.We are dominating and thats good enough at this point.Spartans also winning !!!

I enjoyed that. We played some exhibition stuff at times, and were guilty of overplaying at others. There was some nice link up between Forbes and the strikers and the diamond with Carsy and Hutton actually looked pretty decent.

When we made the subs and changed things round a bit we didn't look as strong, so that will have given Stevie plenty to think about.

Defensively we had a few wobbles, and Ross Perry looked more like the player we expected at right-back. Looking forward to seeing Ballantyne.

Up top Calum Gallagher put in a tremendous shift, and Little again showed a lot of really nice touches.

With a wee bit more bite (hiya Rory) I'm really pleased with how we look this early in the season.

By the way, what a player Ross Forbes is. Just plays the game at his own pace.

2 hours ago, Sons Fan said:

Second that. Groundsman should be given a free bar for the rest of the season. Must have put in some amount of work/ hours to get pitch to what it is now. Top job

Now I like the sound of that lol. Thanks for the kind words guys. 

I thought we did ok tonight.

Dominated possession in the first half and it was only a bit of a sloppy pass in front of our own box that gave Queens Park their only real chance of the half. The final ball wasn't always great but we deserved to go in ahead.

Second half we started to tire and QP had a very good chance from a tight angle that they put just wide of the far post. They had a bit more possession and were in the game more. I thought we coped reasonably well and that we stepped off the gas a little due to tiredness. By the end of the game Kyle Hutton was strolling around the park but wasnt really involved.

I thought a few players did ok. Hutton and Carswell can work together if they're both willing to close opponents down rather than sitting back and inviting opponents on to them. They're far better when they're aggressive. Carswell in particular looked good tonight. I thought Paton was always looking to get involved and had some nice touches. Andy Little looked to have something about him. I thought Calum Gallagher put in a power of work and often made himself a real nuisance for Queens Park with his movement. Ross Perry even looked ok on the right and his balls forward down that side were actually pretty good. 

I'd have liked another goal and it wouldn't have been undeserved given our overall possession in the game but I suppose we didnt really trouble the Queens Park keeper with enough genuinely dangerous chances. That'll come, especially with Rory Loy still to feature. I was impressed by Thomson for the short cameo he had. Won a couple of good headers, was strong when in possession and worked hard when he didnt have the ball. I think we've got a few attacking options and whilst it'll take a bit of time for everybody to gel, I think we've got a potentially good attack that'll cause any defence in the division some difficulty.

It was what it was - a very early season cup game with a squad still trying to come together and get match sharp. We won. We only really looked troubled on a couple of occasions. We saw glimpses of what we can do in the first half.

Job done.

Thought QP had a couple of decent players out tonight; in particular McLauchlan and Peters.  I was amazed to read that McLauchlan is n't late 30's and is only 29.

New guys done ok, perry, little and forbes in particular.  Obviously Mango got the header from the corner, before Gal scores, but we seen a few times the quality of forbes dead ball deliveries.

Archived