Got to say that I think Stevie has done really well this summer.

Last year we didnt recruit well. The squad was unbalanced and we were exposed, particularly when both fullbacks were injured. Fullback areas are again short of recognised cover but I think the starting 11 is going to be far better balanced. We've got guys who can graft. We've got guys who have a bit of gallusness and flair. We've got a bit of creativity. We've got a recognised goalscorer.

Got to give the gaffer credit for the squad he's built.  I'm looking forward to the season. If it comes together then we should go toe to toe with anybody in the division

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

Got to say that I think Stevie has done really well this summer.

Last year we didnt recruit well. The squad was unbalanced and we were exposed, particularly when both fullbacks were injured. Fullback areas are again short of recognised cover but I think the starting 11 is going to be far better balanced. We've got guys who can graft. We've got guys who have a bit of gallusness and flair. We've got a bit of creativity. We've got a recognised goalscorer.

Got to give the gaffer credit for the squad he's built.  I'm looking forward to the season. If it comes together then we should go toe to toe with anybody in the division

I think that might have been down to the uncertainty with Stevies position and the Raith interview. 

He's really impressed me with the signings and swiftness in recruiting. Seems to be a real focus and drive this season. 

I just had a look at our squad at the time of our first Betfred game of last season, and it tells a story. 

We named just four subs (Jaz, SeaGal, Ally Roy and Kyle Prior) and started with a centre-mid pairing of Mango and David Wilson.

Whatever happened last year, Stevie had a nightmare recruitment wise. Everyone could see we were too short up front, whilst we had a collection of players who (simply put) weren't good enough for the division we were playing in. He had bad luck too, Stewart and Boomer suffering long-term injuries for example, but ultimately the squad was late, rushed and full of panic buys. That lead to the excuses of 'budgets and tough division where we're only aiming for ninth'. Something every one of us hated hearing.

This season we seem to have a new, focused Stevie Aitken, and I'm as excited as I have been in years by the quality of our signings. Now, obviously, looking good on paper is no guarantee that they'll perform on the pitch - but it sure as heck has to be better than a team that looks miserable on paper.

For the first time he seems to have signed players to build a team, not just signed players and been left with a lop sided or bloated squad. We needed a right-winger this morning, so in came Paton. Yesterday we needed a #2 'keeper, so in came McGowan. From last season we were screaming out for a natural striker, and a ball playing centre-mid. In came Rory Loy and Ross Forbes.

It'll take a bit of time (as always) for a new team to gel, so I'm not expecting miracles tomorrow (or at any other point in the Betfred) - but I'm confident that we should be entertaining to watch this year. Surely, having looked at the quality of signings, few people can still be boycotting a season ticket because we played miserable football with a poor squad in a predominantly full-time league last season?

Last word has to go to C&G. Thank you guys. I can't remember a sponsor being as active as they have been and it's really appreciated. I hope loads of railways need built over the next few years.

With all that in mind, and Loy and Ballantyne being out, I'd like to see us go for something like this tomorrow. Carsy seems a natural fit at RB, and I'd be keen to see what Little can do in Loy's absence. 

Grant Adam

Stuart Carswell Andy Dowie Craig Barr Willie Dyer

Ryan Thomson

Michael Paton Ross Forbes Bobby Barr

Calum Gallagher Andy Little

I just had a look at our squad at the time of our first Betfred game of last season, and it tells a story. 

We named just four subs (Jaz, SeaGal, Ally Roy and Kyle Prior) and started with a centre-mid pairing of Mango and David Wilson.

Whatever happened last year, Stevie had a nightmare recruitment wise. Everyone could see we were too short up front, whilst we had a collection of players who (simply put) weren't good enough for the division we were playing in. He had bad luck too, Stewart and Boomer suffering long-term injuries for example, but ultimately the squad was late, rushed and full of panic buys. That lead to the excuses of 'budgets and tough division where we're only aiming for ninth'. Something every one of us hated hearing.

This season we seem to have a new, focused Stevie Aitken, and I'm as excited as I have been in years by the quality of our signings. Now, obviously, looking good on paper is no guarantee that they'll perform on the pitch - but it sure as heck has to be better than a team that looks miserable on paper.

For the first time he seems to have signed players to build a team, not just signed players and been left with a lop sided or bloated squad. We needed a right-winger this morning, so in came Paton. Yesterday we needed a #2 'keeper, so in came McGowan. From last season we were screaming out for a natural striker, and a ball playing centre-mid. In came Rory Loy and Ross Forbes.

It'll take a bit of time (as always) for a new team to gel, so I'm not expecting miracles tomorrow (or at any other point in the Betfred) - but I'm confident that we should be entertaining to watch this year. Surely, having looked at the quality of signings, few people can still be boycotting a season ticket because we played miserable football with a poor squad in a predominantly full-time league last season?

Last word has to go to C&G. Thank you guys. I can't remember a sponsor being as active as they have been and it's really appreciated. I hope loads of railways need built over the next few years.

With all that in mind, and Loy and Ballantyne being out, I'd like to see us go for something like this tomorrow. Carsy seems a natural fit at RB, and I'd be keen to see what Little can do in Loy's absence. 

Grant Adam

Stuart Carswell Andy Dowie Craig Barr Willie Dyer

Ryan Thomson

Michael Paton Ross Forbes Bobby Barr

Calum Gallagher Andy Little

Wouldn't be surprised if that was the line-up but I have a suspicion Stevie will have mango play RB with Perry and Dowie at CB.

I’m hearing 3-5-2, with perry as wing back.

I’ve not actually bought a season ticket for a couple of years, but finances dictate it’s an amount I can Ill afford in a lump sum, so I pay every week, and rarely miss a game, as some will know.

Is it time for seasonal direct debits for our tickets? That would definitely suit me, and at least 3 more I know, and one of them suggested this last pre season

I’ve not actually bought a season ticket for a couple of years, but finances dictate it’s an amount I can Ill afford in a lump sum, so I pay every week, and rarely miss a game, as some will know.

Is it time for seasonal direct debits for our tickets? That would definitely suit me, and at least 3 more I know, and one of them suggested this last pre season

You’re definitely not hearing this and if you are then you must have misheard Perry at wingback.....

I hope

26 minutes ago, optimistic said:

Perry at wing-back would be horrendous. He's a centre-half who we should have headering it and clearing it. 

On the ST payments thing it's something the club have looked into. I know it was suggested splitting the cost into May/June/July payments which, if workable, would be a good idea imo. I'm not sure if the finances would allow us to stretch it over a longer period though.

Just popping in to say good luck to the #Sonhamers for the season ahead. Great to see Michael Paton and Iain Russell join Andy Dowie and Craig Barr again this week. 

Lets see you back in the Championship this time next year please. And please, Ross Forbes, come back and run the Championship signings thread. These Dunfermline characters cant do it right!

10 hours ago, optimistic said:

Just a thought but why don’t you do your own “direct debit” put £20 away a month over the year then when it comes to May/June you don’t have to pay a lump sum. 

On 13/07/2018 at 07:34, Hoofhearted said:

For any Dumbarton fans wanting to use the Spartan's clubhouse on Saturday prior to the game or at half time we have kept back a limited number of Clubhouse passes especially for Dumbarton fans. There is only a small amount and these are  available if you get there before 2PM. 

One for each of my paws, please! :thumsup2 What are the shop hours? Needs get me a pin badge.

9 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Just popping in to say good luck to the #Sonhamers for the season ahead. Great to see Michael Paton and Iain Russell join Andy Dowie and Craig Barr again this week. 

Lets see you back in the Championship this time next year please. And please, Ross Forbes, come back and run the Championship signings thread. These Dunfermline characters cant do it right!

:lol: I must admit, I was surprised you didn't take on the running of the thread. If I'd had a choice for succession management then you'd have been the man!

Thanks for the kind words. All the best to you guys too, the sausage rolls at Palmerston are one of the things I'll miss most about the Championship. 

1 hour ago, Old Scrotum said:

Always that feeling of hope and excitement on the first day of the season.

COYS!

I'm genuinely so excited. A new season, a new ground to visit and an exciting new team. No doubt we'll lose 1-0 or something, but even still I'm really looking forward to seeing plenty of this team in action. 

18 minutes ago, Ross Forbes said:

:lol: I must admit, I was surprised you didn't take on the running of the thread. If I'd had a choice for succession management then you'd have been the man!

A decade ago I would have but no time now. Far too busy to keep up with every club and too much actual football paperwork to do. On which note waiting for SFA offices to open to continue attempts to get international clearance for our new centre back.....

Just now, Skyline Drifter said:

A decade ago I would have but no time now. Far too busy to keep up with every club and too much actual football paperwork to do. On which note waiting for SFA offices to open to continue attempts to get international clearance for our new centre back.....

:lol: That sounds fair enough. I'd assume most Queens fans would prefer an updated transfer thread to a new signing though ;)

Cheers, can we still make use of the SD horn at various points throughout the season though?

Archived