36 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:
43 minutes ago, Craig the Hunter said:
Forbes is off for a trialist who I don't recognise at all

Kieran Campbell apparently. Former Celtic player who was on trial at EK last season according to Andy Galloway.

As long as it's not this one

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-22250015

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Now listen up folks....if anyone is needing anything from the Hadjuk Split club shop let me know before Friday.

Was in the Hadjuk Split club shop last summer. It is in a small row of shops close to harbour. Cheapest top was about 80 quid and the very trendy shop assistants totally ignore  anyone over the age of 21. Needless to say I bought nothing but Split is an interesting town just don’t buy anything there.

Was in the Hadjuk Split club shop last summer. It is in a small row of shops close to harbour. Cheapest top was about 80 quid and the very trendy shop assistants totally ignore  anyone over the age of 21. Needless to say I bought nothing but Split is an interesting town just don’t buy anything there.
Well that's that, then, unless they're part of the 10% ST deal.

RE. Beanie. I heard a chat on Sportsound yesterday between Darren O'Dea, Scott McDonald and Tam McManus. One of them - I think it was McDonald said "Ask any footballer that hasn't had the pre-season and they'll tell you that it makes a massive difference to their fitness"

I'm not really worried about Beany's fitness, it's the rest of his game I worry about. He may well be more effective with a preseason under his belt but he didn't show much last year to suggest that was possible. He's not a hold up striker and his pace is gone now meaning his effectiveness out wide is minimal. I would rather we looked elsewhere but will trust Aitkens judgement.

I'm not really worried about Beany's fitness, it's the rest of his game I worry about. He may well be more effective with a preseason under his belt but he didn't show much last year to suggest that was possible. He's not a hold up striker and his pace is gone now meaning his effectiveness out wide is minimal. I would rather we looked elsewhere but will trust Aitkens judgement.
This.

He was honking in the extreme and I'd rather take a punt on an unknown youngster.

I'm quite willing to trust Stevie's judgement on Beany. Inviting him back for pre-season with no guarantee of a deal was a sensible move imo, and if he performs well then we could certainly do a lot worse. Especially given our tight budget. His fitness was fine last year, he was just lacking sharpness. Given that we probably only trained once a week for the majority of his five months back with the club due to the fixture backlog, and given he spent a chunk of time as a sub or injured, he's had no opportunity to get his touch back in. A solid pre-season could work wonders. 

He's also never a loan striker, so if we're going with two (which is seems like we did yesterday) he'll hopefully be more comfortable. 

Anyone know what shape we played yesterday? From Craig's posts I took it to be a bit of a 4-1-3-2 with Hutton behind B.Barr, Forbes and Thomson.

RE. Beanie. I heard a chat on Sportsound yesterday between Darren O'Dea, Scott McDonald and Tam McManus. One of them - I think it was McDonald said "Ask any footballer that hasn't had the pre-season and they'll tell you that it makes a massive difference to their fitness"
Pre season from years ago is totally different from now a days. Years ago players used to come back overweight and unfit after binging all summer on beer and takeaways. Cue 3 weeks of hill sprints and running and they are fit again.
Now with every team employing sports scientists and such like all players are given individual training plans for summer breaks etc. The days of running solid at professional clubs for 3 weeks are long gone.
I get the argument that we sign players that are out of contract etc and maybe havnt got such an individual plan however, they will be clued up enough to know how to keep themselves in shape. I don't see any of them rocking up as trialists for potential new teams overweight and hoping pre season sorts them out.

7 minutes ago, pleslie99 said:

Pre season from years ago is totally different from now a days. Years ago players used to come back overweight and unfit after binging all summer on beer and takeaways. Cue 3 weeks of hill sprints and running and they are fit again.
Now with every team employing sports scientists and such like all players are given individual training plans for summer breaks etc. The days of running solid at professional clubs for 3 weeks are long gone.
I get the argument that we sign players that are out of contract etc and maybe havnt got such an individual plan however, they will be clued up enough to know how to keep themselves in shape. I don't see any of them rocking up as trialists for potential new teams overweight and hoping pre season sorts them out.

This was from two current players and a fairly recent retiree. They all seemed to agree on the point.

Anyone know what shape we played yesterday? From Craig's posts I took it to be a bit of a 4-1-3-2 with Hutton behind B.Barr, Forbes and Thomson.

It was the exactly that shape for the first half. When Carswell came on for Gallagher at half time, Thomson went up front and it switched to more of a standard 4-4-2 with Forbes and Barr wide. The rack of trialists that came on in the second half slotted more or less into the 4-4-2 as well.

Archived