4 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Aye, if I'm taking the b*****ds view of this signing, it's likely to be another player that makes us quite a hateable squad this season. Grant Adam, Bobby Barr and Thomson could all be targets of abuse this year, it's been a while since people haven't liked us so it's a nice change.

Ideal signings for putting the boot into some of these wee teams, like Raith. You should get big M'Voto in too. He really knows how to smash people. 

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's 13 signed, do we reckon another 3 signings? Goalkeeper, cover for full back, winger/forward player? Genuinely unsure as to how the budget stretches further than that with the players we've signed but maybe I'll be surprised.

13 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

That's 13 signed, do we reckon another 3 signings? Goalkeeper, cover for full back, winger/forward player? Genuinely unsure as to how the budget stretches further than that with the players we've signed but maybe I'll be surprised.

Aye I'd say we'll probably be looking at 16/17 in total comes the closing of the window. We've not dipped into the loan market yet, so a loan winger/striker and defender, and a cheap number two 'keeper would be fine by me. Ideally it'd be nice to bring in another out and out striker and a natural winger, but I'd be surprised if the budget will manage that.

Although the squad will be small we've got a few options. Dowie, Mango and Carsy can cover at RB, Ballantyne and Thomson can both play as wingers (as well as SeaGal obviously) and obviously Mango can do a job in central-midfield  (if he has someone with the legs around him). All we're really lacking is another naturally left-sided player to cover for Dyer and/or give us a more natural wide option on that side.

Thomson should be a decent squad player. Not at the same level as Carsy or Forbes, but a guy who'll put in a shift, is versatile and could add a bit more energy to the team. 

Be interesting to see how we lineup tomorrow - and who the trialists are.

'I'd be more afraid of facing Callum Gallagher than Loy.'
'I'd prefer to have John Baird than Loy.'

First one is debatable.

What is bizarre about that second one though? Seriously. Preferring a guy who played in the same league as Loy did just last year and a guy who scored more goals just last year and has also had a very similar career to Loy.

It'll be interesting to see the shape of the team though pre-season and at the start of it proper in August.

I'd be surprised if Thomson will be content to sit on the bench and if he is a goalscoring midfielder as some have said, I can't say I think the bench is the best place for him either.

Another solid signing on the face of it, maybe a couple of loans to augment what we have already?

1 hour ago, Thommo90 said:

I think the worst part of this might be the state of the punches thrown!!!  

Seems a decent enough option for the bench, happy with it.

I’m not an expert but I think alcohol may have played a part in the incident.

24 minutes ago, Supremesons said:

We’ll surely take the maximum amount of loan players on which is 4 right? I’m sure Jamie will send someone from Motherwell our way

Loans cost money too, sometimes quite a lot of money. We need to pay a percentage of the wages, which for youth players in the Prem is more than you'd think.

9 minutes ago, pleslie99 said:

If jaz isn't signing on to be our reserve keeper as the workload is too much/Motherwell won't let him. Maybe he will send us a Motherwell youngster to be back up?

Jaz has retired, so we will be looking for a new #2. He's staying on as our 'keeper coach though.

Archived