6 minutes ago, Overthehedge1 said:

You asked me my opinion, buchanan has scored at every level he has played at so I would pick him, he had by all accounts a bad season last year and still scored 9, if all fit and available I’d take them in that order, Loy might just be a goal scoring machine in league 1  just don’t think he’s done much in the last 4 years and I thought he was over weight and uninterested last year! How many times have teams brought in great players with great cvs that just don’t do it, I look at dumbarton as a team of good pros with a good manager who will be organised and very hard to beat, can atkin play attacking football? Him and Dodds should sit down and try and figure out how to ;)

I know I asked your opinion, I'm just wondering what the justification for it is.  Rory Loy has scored at every level he's played at (which is a higher level than Buchanan). He is 3 years younger than Buchanan and has never played at this level before, Buchanan has spent a lot of his career here.  Hasn't done much in the last 4 years? He scored a goal nearly every two games for St Mirren in the Championship 2017! Those 12 goals for Dundee in the Premiership is a real show of how shite he is too. 

He played much of last season under a manager who had already shipped him out of one club and he was apparently battling depression. Show me any player who can be expected to perform to his best in those conditions. Every single Sons fan has said it could go wrong but the logic you're applying here makes absolutely no sense.

Aitken is fine for building attacking teams, last season was different for many reasons.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wasn't going to bother with any games until the Hearts match, but I've got f**k all else to do this weekend and the weather looks scorching, so I may well try and get through to EK. Doesn't look the easiest to get to by public transport though and am I f**k driving, so I'll probably see how I feel on Saturday.  I imagine we'll have some trialists so hopefully someone can grab some photos.
I'll definitely grab some photos

13 hours ago, lionel wickson said:

You might well be right, but  wouldn't it be unusual for another colour picture from the same game to be around? My recollection of Football Scot was that it was initially in a newspaper format,  and later became a "glossy" magazine, maybe rebranded as Scottish Football Monthly. I'm pretty sure there was also a colour squad picture in a later issue of our squad at the start of the 73/74 season, at least I have a vague memory of John Taylor, Peter McQuade and Willie Borland being in that one. Maybe that was the one you're thinking of, although we would have been in our white strip and not the gold? I think that picture might have had the Stirlingshire Cup on display too, which we won at the end of the 72/73 season (beating East Stirlingshire 6-0 or 6-1, Tom McAdam scored 4 or 5, on the Monday holiday before we beat Dundee United 4-1 to stay up on the final day of the season). Actually, it might even have had the Lloret de Mar trophy too!

There's this oneimg631.thumb.jpg.cf97f598c96210080951b52497fac37a.jpg

13 hours ago, lionel wickson said:

You might well be right, but  wouldn't it be unusual for another colour picture from the same game to be around? My recollection of Football Scot was that it was initially in a newspaper format,  and later became a "glossy" magazine, maybe rebranded as Scottish Football Monthly. I'm pretty sure there was also a colour squad picture in a later issue of our squad at the start of the 73/74 season, at least I have a vague memory of John Taylor, Peter McQuade and Willie Borland being in that one. Maybe that was the one you're thinking of, although we would have been in our white strip and not the gold? I think that picture might have had the Stirlingshire Cup on display too, which we won at the end of the 72/73 season (beating East Stirlingshire 6-0 or 6-1, Tom McAdam scored 4 or 5, on the Monday holiday before we beat Dundee United 4-1 to stay up on the final day of the season). Actually, it might even have had the Lloret de Mar trophy too!

img633.jpg

38 minutes ago, Nowhereman said:

I've seen this one before, but it makes me laugh every time - if you look at the middle of the bench they're sitting on, it's about to split.  They possibly all landed in a pile about 5 seconds after the picture was taken.

Just now, The Moonster said:

I'm a huge fan of the barnets on show. Not enough footballers willing to sport such a rugged look these days.

If your looking for impressive barnets let’s find a picture of Drummond Mentiply who not only has my favourite ever name for a Sons player but also had an impressive amount of hair

13 minutes ago, Scottylintonstowel said:

If your looking for impressive barnets let’s find a picture of Drummond Mentiply who not only has my favourite ever name for a Sons player but also had an impressive amount of hair

I've had a wee look but the Sons Archive doesn't even have a photo of him so I reckon we could be onto plumbs there.

I've had a wee look but the Sons Archive doesn't even have a photo of him so I reckon we could be onto plumbs there.
20180628_140818.jpg

I'll definitely grab some photos
Craig Barr all sweaty with his top off plz.

Just catching up with this thread. Raith fans seem rattled IMO.

Ballantyne sounds like an execellent capture, I love a marauding full back and he sounds like the real deal, one of my all time favourite Sons players is Paul McGinn and I have high hopes he could have a similar type of impact.

Perry is a 'meh' signing but if we have to pad the squad out with guys like him to ensure we have quality like Forbes, Loy, Barr and Dowie in the squad then so be it. He'll be backup and is staunch af so f**k it, WATP.

Our starting 11 is looking far superior to last seasons and we should be looking to challenge for a playoff spot.

On 27/06/2018 at 18:50, D'Jaffo said:

Oh and to even put Andy Jackson in the same bracket as either of those is laughable. He’s a decent striker at this level and that’s all. His best ever season for Brechin was in 2016-17 where he scored 16 goals in all comps so he’s hardly prolific.

Jackson was superb for in 07-08, scoring 14 goals in the First Division when he was only 19/20. It'll sound daft but he was May before May, him and Deuchar literally ripped that league apart. 

He developed a bowel illness which seemed to f**k him. Not long after he started picking up injuries for fun and he never physically got back to that level. 

Bit off topic, but I still feel sad about how Jacksons career turned out, he was the first explosive young striker we had that I saw regularly, and I always felt he'd be a star. 

Archived