3 minutes ago, sonsanorak said:

I see a problem here

Its obvious we are on opposite sides of the SA debate as many posters are on here.Time will tell whether it was right or not to stick by him.Ive said it many times, i really do hope i am made to eat my words and SA turns us round into a good team getting good results.Just i dont think he will in what ive seen over the last 18 months.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There may be “sides” in the Aitken debate but I feel many are somewhere in the middle and it wouldn’t take that much to alter opinions either way. Two wins in the next two would persuade many currently on the anti side. The converse is also true.

I think most reasonable fans want a change or at least see that a change is needed.Of course who we could get in and would they do any better are the big questions.St Mirren had a few years of managerial merrygorounds until they struck gold with Jack Ross.Falkirk seem to be doing the same.For sure we cant afford that, but sticking to something that clearly isnt working is folly.

How have you reached that conclusion?

I’m in agreement with the club board just now. Results are expected to improve. The injury list has been ridiculous and forced us to play guys with injuries, illness or out of position.

Also, I’m sure Jazza would have spoke out if he thought McGowan was the better goalie.

There may be “sides” in the Aitken debate but I feel many are somewhere in the middle and it wouldn’t take that much to alter opinions either way. Two wins in the next two would persuade many currently on the anti side. The converse is also true.

There's clearly people on either side of the fence in the Aitken argument. Me, I think it's time for a change. I don't see a big enough change, quickly enough happening unfortunately.

What Howlin' Wilf says is very true though. While I don't see it happening, two wins from the next two games and some positivity would return. That said, I don't see that happening and given how poor our results have been to date, that's what the remit should be otherwise, time to change as far as I'm concerned.

All this chat of sides has me thinking...

For those who are in favour of the boards approach and/or keeping Aitken, what would it take for you to want him bagged? Say Raith beat us on Saturday and we can only muster up a point against Stranraer would that signal the end for Aitken in your eyes? Or would he deserve more time?

As a flipside to that, would a win against Raith and Stranraer be enough to change the minds of those who want to see him punted as of now?

Is the next 2 games too soon to take action? Should he be given longer into the 2nd quarter if there is no signs of improvement over the next couple of games?

October could be a very interesting month.

3 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

For those who are in favour of the boards approach and/or keeping Aitken, what would it take for you to want him bagged? Say Raith beat us on Saturday and we can only muster up a point against Stranraer would that signal the end for Aitken in your eyes? Or would he deserve more time?

As a flipside to that, would a win against Raith and Stranraer be enough to change the minds of those who want to see him punted as of now?

Is the next 2 games too soon to take action? Should he be given longer into the 2nd quarter if there is no signs of improvement over the next couple of games?

Obviously results are one thing, and arguably the be all and end all.But i do think some fans( including myself here) would also like to see some good attacking play.IM had it perfect for us(bar the last season when he chickened out)..we won we lost but on the whole it was good to watch.I remember Stuart Cosgrove mentioning on OTB  that he had come to see us at the Rock as he heard we were 'a right good side'.And to be fair we were.Attractive football and decent results for the most part.I think that that also has value for some fans.For many its just the results.So aye 2 games could swing it for many.

We are terribly inconsistent and we've never really been on a winning streak under Aitken, say if we took 4-6 points from Raith/Stranraer we could easily take 0 from Arbroath, East Fife and Montrose.

The table is a decent guage and by the end of the first quarter it'll be up to the chairman/board to decide if the performance is good enough.

On 25/09/2018 at 13:28, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

It’s maybe not as an exact science as you portray. A friend recently put it perfectly in that we are seeing only 10% of the iceberg in terms of what is going on behind the scenes.

John Steele and the board may feel that having supported Stevie with the signing of a decent squad he deserves more time - particularly with the injuries we’ve had. Having said that, we know that there is a point beyond which managers don’t survive. It would be hard to see the manager survive if we lost the next two. Four or six points would be the converse of that. He has to achieve a decent run and keep us within reach at least of the top four. If it became clear that we weren’t going to make up for our indifferent start that would be the tipping point I think. Four points from the last six  is an improvement. The Raith players and fans should be well up for it on Saturday. Hopefully we can rise to that.

It’s maybe not as an exact science as you portray. A friend recently put it perfectly in that we are seeing only 10% of the iceberg in terms of what is going on behind the scenes.

Of course. It was more of a 'what would it take to sway your opinion' type of question rather than a 'when will the board decide to take action' type of question.

If he lost the next three he'd be under serious pressure from the board, but I reckon he'd still get a little more time.

The next three are tough games, made even tougher by the start we've had. I'm not even sure what I think an acceptable return would be. What we'd really need is probably something like 6 or 7 points, but even if we lost them all some folk will still make excuses.

Do we want an attractive,  attacking side or one, at the moment, that will grind out the points? We need to get into the habit  of not losing from good positions (Airdrie) or simply chucking it away (Brechin).

Not losing any of the next three games would  be a start. Yes, three wins would be more than nice, but the confidence that comes with not losing  is  the good twin  of losing week after week.

9 minutes ago, Old Scrotum said:

Do we want an attractive,  attacking side or one, at the moment, that will grind out the points? We need to get into the habit  of not losing from good positions (Airdrie) or simply chucking it away (Brechin).

Not losing any of the next three games would  be a start. Yes, three wins would be more than nice, but the confidence that comes with not losing  is  the good twin  of losing week after week.

Ultimately I just want to see us winning games. If the style of football is good then that's all the better, but victories will do me.

John Steele and the board may feel that having supported Stevie with the signing of a decent squad he deserves more time - particularly with the injuries we’ve had. Having said that, we know that there is a point beyond which managers don’t survive. It would be hard to see the manager survive if we lost the next two. Four or six points would be the converse of that. He has to achieve a decent run and keep us within reach at least of the top four. If it became clear that we weren’t going to make up for our indifferent start that would be the tipping point I think. Three points from the last four is an improvement. The Raith players and fans should be well up for it on Saturday. Hopefully we can rise to that.

Three points from the last four? Is this the 1970's?

Archived