Have you guys tried football management at all? It would appear that you know quite a lot about the dynamics of tactics, man management and how a dressing room works. If you get your wish and the Sons part company with Stevie Aitken, they could do worse to not have you lads apply. 
Are you suggesting football fans should refrain from discussing tactics and the shortcomings of the current management team on a football forum because they aren't holders of a Fifa Continental A Licence?

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Have you guys tried football management at all? It would appear that you know quite a lot about the dynamics of tactics, man management and how a dressing room works. If you get your wish and the Sons part company with Stevie Aitken, they could do worse to not have you lads apply. 

I don't think anyone on here, certainly not myself, has claimed to know about the dynamics of tactics, as you put it.

But that surely doesn't exclude us from giving our opinions on the team, the management and possible line-ups, tactical reshapes etc, does it?

Football fans the world over do this, discussing tactics, personnel etc and what they believe is the best approach. And we're no different.

The difference is that Stevie is in the hot seat just now and he's not delivering. Most products not delivering to their potential will be scrutinised by the public/customers/hierarchy and football is no different.

Wasn’t at yesterday’s game so my opinion on style of play and tactics is based on match reports and second hand testimony and opinions.

I’ll be there on Saturday so will post some opinions afterwards based on what I see for myself.

As a side note; 4 points from the last 2 games would be an acceptable return in most circumstances, Saturdays another big game for us.

9 hours ago, Homer Sandoval said:

Your arguments are so poorly constructed, I can only assume you must either be a troll or one of the crackpots from Aitken’s Army.

None of us (I’ll boldly assume) have held the position of First Minister or Prime Minister. By extension of your logic, that means we should have no say on how the country is run either.

Perhaps we should have a 'Manager Transfer Window' for two weeks in October and March to cut speculation, give them a chance, and stop them quitting for (supposedly) better jobs.

Wait - is that bit sane for first thing on a Monday? Hope not. Three hours yet until the booze pharmacies open and I can get my medicine.

1 minute ago, Old Scrotum said:

Perhaps we should have a 'Manager Transfer Window' for two weeks in October and March to cut speculation, give them a chance, and stop them quitting for (supposedly) better jobs.

Wait - is that bit sane for first thing on a Monday? Hope not. Three hours yet until the booze pharmacies open and I can get my medicine.

Well, naw, that's idiotic.  If you get stuck with a manager who's pish, you can't swap him out.  If you sign a  player who turns out to be pish, you can just bury him in the squad, and play someone else.

In your scenario, you'd need to employ at least 2 managers, so that you can swap in whichever one is doing the business for you.

3 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

Well, naw, that's idiotic.  If you get stuck with a manager who's pish, you can't swap him out.  If you sign a  player who turns out to be pish, you can just bury him in the squad, and play someone else.

In your scenario, you'd need to employ at least 2 managers, so that you can swap in whichever one is doing the business for you.

Thank Christ - I thought I was sober.

But you could replace him with his assistant and put him on "gardening leave", ala McCall.

8 hours ago, DumbartonTheSons said:

I don't think anyone on here, certainly not myself, has claimed to know about the dynamics of tactics, as you put it.

But that surely doesn't exclude us from giving our opinions on the team, the management and possible line-ups, tactical reshapes etc, does it?

Football fans the world over do this, discussing tactics, personnel etc and what they believe is the best approach. And we're no different.

The difference is that Stevie is in the hot seat just now and he's not delivering. Most products not delivering to their potential will be scrutinised by the public/customers/hierarchy and football is no different.

I think most reasonable fans want a change or at least see that a change is needed.Of course who we could get in and would they do any better are the big questions.St Mirren had a few years of managerial merrygorounds until they struck gold with Jack Ross.Falkirk seem to be doing the same.For sure we cant afford that, but sticking to something that clearly isnt working is folly.

38 minutes ago, Ross Forbes said:

If tactical discussion is banned on here then I'm afraid there's only one topic of conversation we can use. A Goalkeeper debate.

Dont get us started.Adam is a bomb scare.Do not see why Mcgowan cant be given a chance.

I think most reasonable fans want a change or at least see that a change is needed.

How have you reached that conclusion?

I’m in agreement with the club board just now. Results are expected to improve. The injury list has been ridiculous and forced us to play guys with injuries, illness or out of position.

Also, I’m sure Jazza would have spoke out if he thought McGowan was the better goalie.

Also, I’m sure Jazza would have spoke out if he thought McGowan was the better goalie.

Maybe he has, maybe he hasn't. Either way the decision lies with the manager.

McGowan may well not be the answer but he at least deserves a chance. That chance could've come in the Irn Bru cup but for some reason Aitken stuck with Adam.

There has been a couple of games this season where an Adam error has directly led to us dropping points IMO. His weak attempt at saving Bobby Linn's goal v Arbroath and Saturday's pathetic effort for the Airdrie goal. Of course the defence need to take some of the blame but the keeper should be saving both of those attempts.

Not to continue laying into Adam, but the SPFL have a table looking at which 'keeper has made the most saves this season. Stranraer's Max Currie tops it with 32 - Grant Adam is at the foot with 12.

Now, obviously, that has to be viewed as a credit to our defence - because (you'd imagine) he's had less shots to face, but to only make 12 saves in seven games whilst conceding ten isn't great. Especially given Stranraer have only let in eight.

If McGowan is nowhere near good enough to even challenge him then why did we bother bringing him in? 

Not to continue laying into Adam, but the SPFL have a table looking at which 'keeper has made the most saves this season. Stranraer's Max Currie tops it with 32 - Grant Adam is at the foot with 12.
Now, obviously, that has to be viewed as a credit to our defence - because (you'd imagine) he's had less shots to face, but to only make 12 saves in seven games whilst conceding ten isn't great. Especially given Stranraer have only let in eight.
If McGowan is nowhere near good enough to even challenge him then why did we bother bringing him in? 
Cracking stat that and I think proves what we all know. He's pish!

I think most reasonable fans want a change or at least see that a change is needed.Of course who we could get in and would they do any better are the big questions.St Mirren had a few years of managerial merrygorounds until they struck gold with Jack Ross.Falkirk seem to be doing the same.For sure we cant afford that, but sticking to something that clearly isnt working is folly.

Most reasonable fans? Really?

3 hours ago, sonsanorak said:

How have you reached that conclusion?

I’m in agreement with the club board just now. Results are expected to improve. The injury list has been ridiculous and forced us to play guys with injuries, illness or out of position.

Its what ive gauged from this forum , FB and fans ive spoken to.The board are backing SA but we dont know for sure if that is because they feel he can turn it round or that they have no option in that finances dictate we go with what we have got.

As for the Jazza comment, it was well answered above.

5 hours ago, Old Scrotum said:

I think it was actually talked about last year...cant remember where i read it.It would appear though to be a no-goer.

Archived