10 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Brophy never really got much of a chance with us, he was oddly left on the bench for the majority of his stay despite looking far superior to the options on the park at the time.

Nothing much changed, then, in the selection department.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, sonsism said:

The most depressing thing about his interview is it's clearly not even on his mind a little about chucking it.  He's that up his own arse he doesn't think he's to blame for even a fraction of this season.

He's not going anywhere sadly.

Maybe because he believes he can turn it around? If I thought I wasn't doing the best because of circumstances in my job - but believed I was capable of doing it better once the circumstances changed - I sure as hell wouldnt walk away from it.

I don't understand this expection that football fans have that a manager should walk away from a job he is being paid to do. If the board want rid of him they need to pay him off. Simple.

54 minutes ago, squeezeboxson said:

Maybe because he believes he can turn it around? If I thought I wasn't doing the best because of circumstances in my job - but believed I was capable of doing it better once the circumstances changed - I sure as hell wouldnt walk away from it.

I don't understand this expection that football fans have that a manager should walk away from a job he is being paid to do. If the board want rid of him they need to pay him off. Simple.

And do you honestly believe that to be the case?Do you think that he(SA) believes  he can turn it around?From his interview he was very very far from convincing.Truth is we have been playing shite for an awful long time.Its bad to watch,its not entertaining and we are bottom of the league with arguably one of the strongest squads in that league.I get the injuries but as said already really only 1 player was played out of position and IT IS NO FUCKING EXCUSE.

12 minutes ago, lorenzo71 said:

And do you honestly believe that to be the case?Do you think that he(SA) believes  he can turn it around?From his interview he was very very far from convincing.Truth is we have been playing shite for an awful long time.Its bad to watch,its not entertaining and we are bottom of the league with arguably one of the strongest squads in that league.I get the injuries but as said already really only 1 player was played out of position and IT IS NO FUCKING EXCUSE.

I haven't argued any of those points you make and it doesn't make any difference whatsoever whether I think he believes he can turn things around. I would say he probably does believe he can turn things around though and that he will keep feeling that way until he gets the sack.

The point in my original post was that possibly he feels that way and it would be a reason "it clearly isn't on his mind a little about chucking it".

3 minutes ago, squeezeboxson said:

I haven't argued any of those points you make and it doesn't make any difference whatsoever whether I think he believes he can turn things around. I would say he probably does believe he can turn things around though and that he will keep feeling that way until he gets the sack.

The point in my original post was that possibly he feels that way and it would be a reason "it clearly isn't on his mind a little about chucking it".

I understood your point but i am asking you and all fans whether we really believe he thinks he can turn it round.He is on a good wage so why should he?I get it.But he is hanging on in a worsening situation that is not doing whats left of his stock, any good.

5 hours ago, Ross Forbes said:

I don't think anyone could've predicted Nisbet's form. He'd scored 8 goals in his senior career (goals for Partick Thistle 'Colts' don't count), so to hit that in 10 games is an outstanding effort - and fair play to him. I don't know if the Championship was just a step too far, or if we couldn't play to his strengths or what. But I thought he'd maybe get between 8 and 10 if he had a good season.

I was disappointed when we signed both him and Flanagan, but both have been excellent so far. There's a track record of forwards coming down to this level and performing really well with poorer records in the leagues above. Buchanan, Declan McManus, Lewis Vaughan, Craig Moore and Lawrence Shankland are all examples. It wouldn't surprise me if Nisbet adds himself to that list based off his current form and confidence. Long way to go still.

5 hours ago, Ross Forbes said:

I don't think anyone could've predicted Nisbet's form. He'd scored 8 goals in his senior career (goals for Partick Thistle 'Colts' don't count), so to hit that in 10 games is an outstanding effort - and fair play to him. I don't know if the Championship was just a step too far, or if we couldn't play to his strengths or what. But I thought he'd maybe get between 8 and 10 if he had a good season.

I don't think anyone really appreciates how different it is playing for a side like Dumbarton last season - have very little of the ball, ultimately be on the back foot and create very few chances. Compare that to a FT Raith Rovers who will have the majority of most game and create quite a few chances. Plenty service into the box and support to the striker(s)

In addition,the guys only turned 21 this year so it's hardly like he didn't have time to improve from his spell with us. I was in the minority who thought he got a much harder time than he should've when with us.

1 hour ago, FifeSons said:

I’d interpret that as Aitken’s job being safe, for now.

The more I think about it, the more I think you've nailed it with this.

It's basically saying that Steele is aware the form isn't good enough and that the fans aren't happy, but is willing to stand by Stevie for a little bit longer - though not indefinitely. Which seems fair enough.

If things haven't picked up by the time we've played all nine teams I think he'll be punted though. 

3 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Forbes for Hutton, McGowan for Adam, Gallagher for Loy or Russell. 

I would agree with Gallagher for Loy but I understand why he is sticking with Loy.

I pretty much get why folk want McGowan but think we have to accept that he is backup and Adam is our number 1 right now. We also cannot say for a fact that McGowan is any better than Adam...

1 hour ago, squeezeboxson said:

I would agree with Gallagher for Loy but I understand why he is sticking with Loy.

I pretty much get why folk want McGowan but think we have to accept that he is backup and Adam is our number 1 right now. We also cannot say for a fact that McGowan is any better than Adam...

That's true, but given I've never seen him play in my life I'm willing to give him a chance. If he turns out to be a bombscare then at least we'll know who our number one is.

No player should be guaranteed a game in any team regardless of form.

This weekend is the perfect opportunity to give him a chance.

2 hours ago, squeezeboxson said:

Sorry mate but this just isn't a reason for McGowan not taking a turn. We only have to accept he's back up if we accept he's shite without watching him goalkeep. Adam has proven so far that he has the confidence of a mouse testing a piece of cheese on what might be a trap, whilst McGowan is sat wondering just what it's going to take to set that trap off.

14 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Sorry mate but this just isn't a reason for McGowan not taking a turn. We only have to accept he's back up if we accept he's shite without watching him goalkeep. Adam has proven so far that he has the confidence of a mouse testing a piece of cheese on what might be a trap, whilst McGowan is sat wondering just what it's going to take to set that trap off.

I would agree by the way. I think he is worth a shot and within 5 mins of my first viewing of Adam during pre-season I said I didn't fancy him - so I would be giving McGowan a run out. The fact he never got a game last time against Morton makes me think we may not see him this weekend either though.

Archived