4 minutes ago, DumbartonTheSons said:

Without wanting to bring the morale of the topic down a few notches in it's first page, let alone detract from what could be a splendid goalkeeper debate, there surely must become a point where Brabco state their intentions?

Do they stick (and thus invest a bit of money to enhance the club/product with selling in mind) or do they twist and spend more funds (do they have any?) on appealing the decision, thus leaving us in limbo/financial uncertainty for who knows how long?

My own guess is that (he) they won't wait too long whatever (his) their intentions are. The runes from council connections are that an appeal would be highly unlikely to succeed.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My own guess is that (he) they won't wait too long whatever (his) their intentions are. The runes from council connections are that an appeal would be highly unlikely to succeed.

Fair enough. Leaving us likely to be for sale? Which in itself brings its own issues.

Anyway, the merits of goalkeepers then?

An appeal seems unlikely and it's reasonable to assume there will be no direct investment in the team.

My guess is that the Brabco consortium will try and shift their stake in the club before long.  The question, to my mind, is whether they are willing to accept a loss on what was always a gamble.

Of course this is all speculation when you have no real sense as to who the underlying investors are!

Having moved away thought i'd sign up to p&b to keep myself in the loop!
Chuffed with Dowie signing, if mango could follow suit that'd be grand!!
Keeper debate?? Thomson over Fleming if the choice is between them.

The day he looks happy to be here is the day I stop supporting Andy Dowie.
Who will be next to join the Sons obliteration of League 1?

Declaring and denouncing your support for Dowie in the same day Moonster - bold strategy! 1527090743224.jpg

Just now, sonsism said:

Declaring and denouncing your support for Dowie in the same day Moonster - bold strategy! 1527090743224.jpg

Looks like John Steele has slipped him a vat of rid wine there to get him to sign. I'll allow it.

An appeal seems unlikely and it's reasonable to assume there will be no direct investment in the team.

My guess is that the Brabco consortium will try and shift their stake in the club before long.  The question, to my mind, is whether they are willing to accept a loss on what was always a gamble.

Of course this is all speculation when you have no real sense as to who the underlying investors are!

I think the same. I'd imagine they'll look to get out. But as you say, how that goes, will all depend on if they're content to cut their losses and get out.

As you say it was always a gamble, but now we are where we are, could they consider it their best option to cut and run with what money they can get, despite that not obviously being anywhere near their desired figure or their investment? We shall see.

Just to nit pick a bit (sorry, it's what I do!), lots of posters saying they just want Barr to sign to complete a great centre back pairing. Barr doesn't need to sign. As Aitken made clear last week, both he and Mark Stewart are already contracted for next season. What they have is a get out clause allowing them to leave if Dumbarton are relegated which they can choose to exercise or not (presumably there's a time limit on that decision).

You're not going to hear about Barr signing. You're only going to hear if he decides to move on (or makes an announcement that he won't be exercising his option).

I think the same. I'd imagine they'll look to get out. But as you say, how that goes, will all depend on if they're content to cut their losses and get out.

As you say it was always a gamble, but now we are where we are, could they consider it their best option to cut and run with what money they can get, despite that not obviously being anywhere near their desired figure or their investment? We shall see.
Ian Wilson stood before me in the Rock BC and declared that Sons' result is the second one he looks for - that suggests to me he's going nowhere !

Ian Wilson stood before me in the Rock BC and declared that Sons' result is the second one he looks for - that suggests to me he's going nowhere !

My presumption is that your comment is largely tongue in cheek.

If not, you must be very trusting if you believe anything uttered by that man. I certainly don't.

14 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Just to nit pick a bit (sorry, it's what I do!), lots of posters saying they just want Barr to sign to complete a great centre back pairing. Barr doesn't need to sign. As Aitken made clear last week, both he and Mark Stewart are already contracted for next season. What they have is a get out clause allowing them to leave if Dumbarton are relegated which they can choose to exercise or not (presumably there's a time limit on that decision).

You're not going to hear about Barr signing. You're only going to hear if he decides to move on (or makes an announcement that he won't be exercising his option).

True but should they decide not to exercise the option I expect we’ll see  another form of positive  confirmation  - perhaps a website article on how much they’re looking forward to the new season.

Our media guys won’t miss a trick in trying to generate some good feeling among the support.

On the subject of the website, I take it that he who shall not be named (or put on POTY voting forms) is gone. Just struck me he's still on our Wiki page, but I can't see him pulling on a Sons top again.

Nothing about him on the last statement: http://www.dumbartonfootballclub.com/news/?mode=view&id=3607

On the subject of the website, I take it that he who shall not be named (or put on POTY voting forms) is gone. Just struck me he's still on our Wiki page, but I can't see him pulling on a Sons top again.
Nothing about him on the last statement: http://www.dumbartonfootballclub.com/news/?mode=view&id=3607
I think we can all assume that's the last we have seen of him. Was it not June before his case was heard? If so, I would expect the usual curt one liner along the lines of he's left the club.

I think we can all assume that's the last we have seen of him. Was it not June before his case was heard? If so, I would expect the usual curt one liner along the lines of he's left the club.

The club got rid of him as soon as they found out about the accusations.

5 minutes ago, albundy said:
10 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Aye I know it was certainly the end of the season. Just not having clarity means I can't update his Wiki page - which is bothering me quite a bit!

4 minutes ago, cameron2000 said:

The club got rid of him as soon as they found out about the accusations.

There was an 'internal investigation' and he didn't play again, but I'm not sure his contract was terminated. I guess it would count as gross misconduct, but he's still an innocent man until proven otherwise, so he presumably could've fought against it he wanted.

Who knows.

There was an 'internal investigation' and he didn't play again, but I'm not sure his contract was terminated. I guess it would count as gross misconduct, but he's still an innocent man until proven otherwise, so he presumably could've fought against it he wanted.
Who knows.

He was meant to go on loan to Cowdenbeath but for some reason didn’t. He was basically told to stay away for the rest of the season to avoid negative publicity for the club and he agreed to this.

Archived