We've had this discussion before about funding loan players. I think skyline drifter said that it's not uncommon for the parent club to cover the wages, this may be the case here. Maybe killie have said, take him, play him and we will pay him. If I was thomas I would be disappointed to be joining a team that will not showcase my talents.
We genuinely don't know how Thomas will fit in or perform at the moment, but history suggests that he will be a player, that on paper I have high hopes for but in the flesh a bit underwhelmed by. I'm a bit baffled by our approach to signings, what on paper looks like a decent to good player at this level, we don't appear to have any game plan that works to their strengths.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, sonsism said:

I've not sent bullets to his house or anything f**k sake :lol: Censored it to avoid any further arguments as there may be some fragile P&B readers but a cuss is hardly a personal attack.

Ach I think it is when it's the "c" word, even when it's the "k" word is a bit beyond the pale.  By all means criticise the guy for his managerial ability or lack thereof. Criticise his decisions and team selections.  Don't claim or infer that he's a c*nt there's really no need for that.

I thought Aitkunt was quite inspired. It was only a few years back that OK posted that he would enjoy games more once my Dad was dead, and therefore wouldn't be there, so it's a bit rich him playing the moral guardian role.
I honestly don't recall posting anything in such distasteful terms, but if I did then I apologise unreservedly.

But I still stand by my comment on the inference of the c-word in the earlier post.

Decided (because I'm a great laugh) to have a wee look at our squad depth. So I make it like this (italics can play in the position, but not naturally)

Goalkeepers

Jamie McGowan
Grant Adam

Right-back

Cammy Ballantyne
Andy Little
Ryan Thomson 
Ross Perry 

Left-back

Willie Dyer

Centre-back

Craig Barr 
Andy Dowie
Ross Perry
Scott Allardice
Ryan Thomson

Right-midfield

Michael Paton
Bobby Barr
Ross Forbes 
Dom Thomas
Iain Russell
Calum Gallagher 

Left-midfield

Bobby Barr
Ross Forbes
Michael Paton
Dom Thomas
Iain Russell

Central-midfield

Stuart Carswell
Kyle Hutton
Ross Forbes
Brad Spencer
Ryan Thomson
Scott Allardice
Craig Barr

Centre-forward

Andy Little
Calum Gallagher
Iain Russell
Jack Aitchison
Rory Loy
Ryan Thomson
Michael Paton

On paper Thomas is another good signing, but surely if we found the extra funds from somewhere then the money had to be spent on a defender?

6 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

It always makes me laugh when the word c**t is seen as more offensive as f**k, shite, tits, fanny, dick and p***k.

It's just a word ya c***s!

For the avoidance of doubt it's probably just as bad to call him a fanny, dick or p***k. It really does nothing for anyone's argument does it?

10 minutes ago, Ross Forbes said:

Decided (because I'm a great laugh) to have a wee look at our squad depth. So I make it like this (Bold can play in the position, but not naturally)

Goalkeepers

Jamie McGowan
Grant Adam

Right-back

Cammy Ballantyne
Andy Little
Ryan Thomson 
Ross Perry 

Left-back

Willie Dyer

Centre-back

Craig Barr 
Andy Dowie
Ross Perry
Scott Allardice
Ryan Thomson

Right-midfield

Michael Paton
Bobby Barr
Ross Forbes 
Dom Thomas
Iain Russell
Calum Gallagher 

Left-midfield

Bobby Barr
Ross Forbes
Michael Paton
Dom Thomas
Iain Russell

Central-midfield

Stuart Carswell
Kyle Hutton
Ross Forbes
Brad Spencer
Ryan Thomson
Scott Allardice
Craig Barr

Centre-forward

Andy Little
Calum Gallagher
Iain Russell
Jack Aitchison
Rory Loy
Ryan Thomson
Michael Paton

On paper Thomas is another good signing, but surely if we found the extra funds from somewhere then the money had to be spent on a defender?

Christ! I counted them before I noticed that several players were in several categories.

1 minute ago, Howlin' Wilf said:

Christ! I counted them before I noticed that several players were in several categories.

:lol: Now if we had a squad that big and had injury problems then questions would have to be asked!

I've also just seen a Tweet calling on the 'social media team' to be sacked :lol::lol::lol:

2 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:
6 minutes ago, Howlin said:
For the avoidance of doubt it's probably just as bad to call him a fanny, dick or p***k. It really does nothing for anyone's argument does it?

Not at all, my personal preference is inept.

Which is fine because it is a point of view and not a gratuitous and cheap insult.

4 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:
9 minutes ago, Howlin said:

Not at all, my personal preference is "inept".

FTFY

Someone mentioned it yesterday, this must be what it's like to be managed by Gary Locke. No desire, no shape, under performing players, no game plan and mental transfer decisions.
On the pitch there seemed to be a big similarity. The players looked like they had very little confidence and didn't want to move to make anything work. There was a lot of passes forward into to space where these wasn't anybody there.

You've not hit full peak Locke until you swap your best young centre back for a couple of sub standard midfielders and Ryan Hardie, and then gifting your best forward to a relegation rival who you don't see as a threat when they're four points behind.

I don’t know if anyone has noticed but East Fife whom we defeated in the first game of the season and had a very poor start have now climbed to third place proving that anyone in the league including Dumbarton can climb back up the table

As I said at the start of the season Dumbarton will not win this league and can only rely on the Play offs for promotion. As I also said Stevie and the boys whilst shouldering some of the blame are victims of mismanagement by the group known as Brabco.

Arguing amongst ourselves achieves nothing although everyone is entitled to constructive criticism

Sadly until new owners appear the Sons cannot move forward.

1 hour ago, Scottylintonstowel said:

I don’t know if anyone has noticed but East Fife whom we defeated in the first game of the season and had a very poor start have now climbed to third place proving that anyone in the league including Dumbarton can climb back up the table

As I said at the start of the season Dumbarton will not win this league and can only rely on the Play offs for promotion. As I also said Stevie and the boys whilst shouldering some of the blame are victims of mismanagement by the group known as Brabco.

Arguing amongst ourselves achieves nothing although everyone is entitled to constructive criticism

Sadly until new owners appear the Sons cannot move forward.

Not buying nto that personally.Not saying you are wrong, but Brabco have been in charge for the last 11 years, arguably the most successful period in the clubs recent history.They get no credit for that as they brought hee haw to the table.Now that things are going bad on the pitch i hardly think we can turn round and put the blame on them.Unless things have changed that is.No i believe the management team is where the buck stops.

Not buying nto that personally.Not saying you are wrong, but Brabco have been in charge for the last 11 years, arguably the most successful period in the clubs recent history.They get no credit for that as they brought hee haw to the table.Now that things are going bad on the pitch i hardly think we can turn round and put the blame on them.Unless things have changed that is.No i believe the management team is where the buck stops.

There has been though, a material change in Brabco's position. In previous years they have had a purpose, now they have none. The current situation can’t be blamed on them but it will be much better for DFC when they’re gone. There still has to be a major worry in how they will attempt to cut their losses on project Dalmoak.

10 minutes ago, Howlin' Wilf said:

There has been though, a material change in Brabco's position. In previous years they have had a purpose, now they have none. The current situation can’t be blamed on them but it will be much better for DFC when they’re gone. There still has to be a major worry in how they will attempt to cut their losses on project Dalmoak.

That is the Damocles sword hanging over the club.But i dont think that affects the players or manager as most of them , if not all, are on 1 year contracts.Here today gone tomorrow.It is a worry no doubt which is why it is crucial to get things right on the pitch and galvanise the support.Apathy is the feeling among many of the supporters.

That is the Damocles sword hanging over the club.But i dont think that affects the players or manager as most of them , if not all, are on 1 year contracts.Here today gone tomorrow.It is a worry no doubt which is why it is crucial to get things right on the pitch and galvanise the support.Apathy is the feeling among many of the supporters.

To be fair, the majority of clubs in the lower leagues have players on one year contracts. This lack of future planning is due to not knowing what league the club will be playing in at the season's end. It is possible that 40% of the club’s currently in League 1 won’t be there next season.

I have a query. All of the cuurent squad are Aitken signings, am I correct? After every defeat he refers to our injury list, some of it long term.

Is he signing crocks? I mean what kind of check is done on a signing's basic fitness , especially with regard to guys who are in their thirties and nearing career end. I have a suspicion we have been taken as mugs in this area, given the months, including last season, of extensive longish term injury in our squad.

14 minutes ago, cremola foam said:

I have a query. All of the cuurent squad are Aitken signings, am I correct? After every defeat he refers to our injury list, some of it long term.

Is he signing crocks? I mean what kind of check is done on a signing's basic fitness , especially with regard to guys who are in their thirties and nearing career end. I have a suspicion we have been taken as mugs in this area, given the months, including last season, of extensive longish term injury in our squad.

All signings are Aitkens, yes.  We have a number of players who had a history of injury prior to signing, Craig Barr, Andy Little, Ross Perry, Rory Loy and Ross Forbes have all had careers with injuries littering it. Whilst I think signing a couple of those players who have the quality is worth the risk, when you're running with a small squad it's maybe not the best idea to sign 5 or 6 of them. Of course this is all with the benefit of hindsight and if the likes of Loy and Forbes had shown up fit and raring to go from the first league game then we might not be in such a situation, but ultimately Aitken signed this team and part of his remit is to build a balanced enough squad that covers for injuries. We didn't do that IMO and that's why in the last 4 weeks we've been looking to get loan players in with additional funding required for it over and above the budget already set.

In regards to what checks we do on a players fitness before signing - none. We've signed something like 13 or 14 new players this summer, we simply don't have the finances to send every one of them for a medical as a part time club.

Archived