So let me get this straight. We've just been beaten by a Montrose (lost last two games) reserve team at home and our record for the season in all competitions now reads:

3 wins (including a 1-0 win over Queen's Park at home)

2 draws (including Spartans)

6 defeats

Performances have by all accounts been listless and the players aren't playing for the manager. Players he recruited.

For those advocating against sacking Aitken right now (for whatever reason, financial, performances...) how much longer would you accept this going on?

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of the most common phrases currently being used is "who replaces him". Seeing it everywhere. There is literally a multitude of options as to who replaces him. You even have the inexperienced option, guys like Barry Robson are out there looking for a gig and our most successful manager in decades was of a similar ilk.

"It will have to be someone from the juniors, we are skint". Not it wont. There are plenty of managers who would take the job on the wage we'd pay them, good ones at that. And who's to say one of the better junior managers wouldn't be an improvement on Aitken?

Saying "who would replace him" is the worst excuse imaginable to keep an inder performing manager in a job and it seems to be getting thrown around a lot just now. No doubt the board will be looking at alternatives and drawing up a list of potential replacements. If Aitken loses his next match he has to go or questions will start being asked of the board.

1 hour ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:
One of the most common phrases currently being used is "who replaces him". Seeing it everywhere. There is literally a multitude of options as to who replaces him. You even have the inexperienced option, guys like Barry Robson are out there looking for a gig and our most successful manager in decades was of a similar ilk.

"It will have to be someone from the juniors, we are skint". Not it wont. There are plenty of managers who would take the job on the wage we'd pay them, good ones at that. And who's to say one of the better junior managers wouldn't be an improvement on Aitken?

Saying "who would replace him" is the worst excuse imaginable to keep an inder performing manager in a job and it seems to be getting thrown around a lot just now. No doubt the board will be looking at alternatives and drawing up a list of potential replacements. If Aitken loses his next match he has to go or questions will start being asked of the board.

If the only argument left is ‘BUT HOO WOOD YOU GET INN’ then every other reason has clearly been exhausted. Punting a manager is always a risk, no doubt about that, but it’s getting to the stage where his position is close to becoming untenable.

The atmosphere yesterday was awful, and I’ve not really seen anything to suggest things will improve. Not even a glimmer of a dominant performance or some exciting football. There’s nothing.

I know it’s very, very easy for us to sit on here and bump our gums when we don’t have to make decisions, but (aside from a few games where the pre-season optimism was still there) I’ve struggled for any sort of motivation to watch us play this year. As in since January 2018.

I’ve every confidence the board will act, but I don’t think it’ll be until the end of the first quarter. Ultimately it might end up being a business decision, because if this continues into Winter where the weather is rank and people are already forking out for Christmas then our attendances are going to absolutely plummet.

There's loads who I'd imagine would be interested...

Jim Duffy
Gus McPherson
Danny Lennon

To name three.

Heck, Barry Smith wouldn't be the worst!

Or as has been mentioned an ex-pro looking to get in such as Barry Robson.

The argument of 'who do we get in' is total pish. There's a multitude of potential candidates who'd be eager to get in our hot seat.

4 minutes ago, DumbartonTheSons said:

Jim Duffy
Gus McPherson
Danny Lennon

To name three.

The argument of 'who do we get in' is total pish. There's a multitude of potential candidates who'd be eager to get in our hot seat.

The only thing I would say about Gus and Lennon is that they're in jobs - and I don't think we'll be in a position to pay for them.

It'll have to be someone out of work.

7 minutes ago, DumbartonTheSons said:

Jim Duffy
Gus McPherson
Danny Lennon

To name three.

Paul Hartley's free :1eye 

Football management is a precarious business. Our most successful manager in decades lasted three competitive months in his subsequent appointment. The last time we tried the junior route we took a very successful juniors manager. Let’s just say that wasn’t a success. For every Ian Murray there are several David Winnies. None of us know which Barry Robson might be nor his willingness to go to the coal face. Steve Aitken meanwhile has a track record of taking Stranraer to the play-offs.

I am as disappointed with our start as anyone and it may be that confidence could be restored by a change of manager. It is however not a simple process and carries with it no guarantee of an improvement.

2 minutes ago, Howlin' Wilf said:

Football management is a precarious business. Our most successful manager in decades lasted three competitive months in his subsequent appointment. The last time we tried the junior route we took a very successful juniors manager. Let’s just say that wasn’t a success. For every Ian Murray there are several David Winnies. None of us know which Barry Robson might be nor his willingness to go to the coal face. Steve Aitken meanwhile has a track record of taking Stranraer to the play-offs.

I am as disappointed with our start as anyone and it may be that confidence could be restored by a change of manager. It is however not a simple process and carries with it no guarantee of an improvement.

Could that not be what's happening here? 

Aitken did well with Stranraer, but just because he did (and Brian Reid did the same the following season before it imploded) doesn't mean he'll be a success this season.

There's no sure fire way to success, but something has to change - and whether that's a dramatic upturn in form or the manager, something has to happen quickly. The players look like they aren't playing for him, results are dire and fans are now lashing out at each other. It's horrible.

The only thing I would say about Gus and Lennon is that they're in jobs - and I don't think we'll be in a position to pay for them.

It'll have to be someone out of work.

I do appreciate that it'll probably need to be someone out of work, I was just firing names out to dispel the myth that somehow there'd be no possibly more attractive candidates for the job.

Paul Hartley's free :1eye 

Even in our current predicament, no thanks. Yes, really.

Barry Smith come on down- average 1.8 points from each game in his 57 games managed at raith last year and got them to second in the league 
Fwiw, with the resources he had I'm still off the view we should've won that league last season. Coming second wasn't really an achievement given we had more resources than all but one team.

We've had our own manager role open a week and we've already had interest from Robson, Massimo Donati, Nacho Novo and that guy who applied for Morton who'd been managing in Iceland.

There's loads of candidates looking for their first role in Scottish football and Dumbarton are one of the largest part time teams. They'd be a great opportunity for any manager coming in and should be an easy sell.

4 minutes ago, DumbartonTheSons said:

I do appreciate that it'll probably need to be someone out of work, I was just firing names out to dispel the myth that somehow there'd be no possibly more attractive candidates for the job.

Even in our current predicament, no thanks. Yes, really.

Agreed on both parts. There are people out there, when we sacked Alan Adamson I don't think anyone immediately thought "Great, lets get Ian Murray in!"

3 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Fwiw, with the resources he had I'm still off the view we should've won that league last season. Coming second wasn't really an achievement given we had more resources than all but one team. We've had our own manager role open a week and we've already had interest from Robson, Massimo Donati, Nacho Novo and that guy who applied for Morton who'd been managing in Iceland.

There's loads of candidates looking for their first role in Scottish football and Dumbarton are one of the largest part time teams. They'd be a great opportunity for any manager coming in and should be an easy sell.

I would think that most aspiring/out of work managers would look at our squad, look at our recent form and believe that they could get more out of the team. 

I would think that most aspiring/out of work managers would look at our squad, look at our recent form and believe that they could get more out of the team. 
Agreed. It'd be different if you were a club like Albion Rovers where they're paying ridiculously low wages, but a lot of candidates would generally see Dumbarton as a team who are in a bit of a rut at the moment, but with a potential to turn it around.

1 minute ago, Broken Algorithms said:
4 minutes ago, Ross Forbes said:

Agreed. It'd be different if you were a club like Albion Rovers where they're paying ridiculously low wages, but a lot of candidates would generally see Dumbarton as a team who are in a bit of a rut at the moment, but with a potential to turn it around.

Yup, our budget certainly won't be the worst in the division - and we do have a good squad of players. We're also well known for giving managers time.

It's obviously difficult to gauge from online discussions and the people you meet at games, but I'd say that there is only a small (but vocal) minority who are in favour of keeping Stevie, so the new man probably wouldn't have a tough job winning round the fans either.

Anyway, this is all pie in the sky at the moment. Stevie's our manager and I don't see that changing until the end of the first quarter at the earliest. Until then we have to hope that whatever happened post-Bonnyrigg happens again and we see a major turnaround. However unlikely that may be.

Archived