2 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I think it says a lot about how dreadful we've been that the board are having to release a statement backing the manager this early in the season.

Fair play to John Steele for keeping us updated but I remain massively unconvinced that Aitken will turn it around.

And yet someone else here requested that the chairman make a statement. It seems that the board shared the concerns of the supporters and called a meeting. It appears there was a full and frank exchange of views and the outcome was that the board thought thatthe reasons given by Aitken for the poor start were genuine.  I think it's to be welcomed that this outcome was made public "this early in the season" when 5 clubs have either changed or are in the process of, changing manager. 

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And yet someone else here requested that the chairman make a statement. It seems that the board shared the concerns of the supporters and called a meeting. It appears there was a full and frank exchange of views and the outcome was that the board thought thatthe reasons given by Aitken for the poor start were genuine.  I think it's to be welcomed that this outcome was made public "this early in the season" when 5 clubs have either changed or are in the process of, changing manager. 
Regardless of whether some random on here requested it or not, it's still damning that Aitken needs backed by the board this early in the season. Regardless of the outcome the statement has been made because we have been absolutely hopeless.

I'm not having a go at the board for making the statement, I'm simply highlighting how badly our manager and his team are performing when he needs backed 5 games into the season. It is often known as 'the dreaded vote of confidence' for a reason.

3 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Regardless of whether some random on here requested it or not, it's still damning that Aitken needs backed by the board this early in the season. Regardless of the outcome the statement has been made because we have been absolutely hopeless.

I'm not having a go at the board for making the statement, I'm simply highlighting how badly our manager and his team are performing when he needs backed 5 games into the season. It is often known as 'the dreaded vote of confidence' for a reason.

Damning indeed. Damned if they do..........

3 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I think it says a lot about how dreadful we've been that the board are having to release a statement backing the manager this early in the season.

Fair play to John Steele for keeping us updated but I remain massively unconvinced that Aitken will turn it around.

Exactly. Title, which we were joint favourites for, gone, just five games in. 

As I said previously, it’s a question of when rather than if for Aitken. There is no way back for him.

Honestly, how many points do people think we’ll take from the next five league games?

Does anyone genuinely see us taking more than six points from them? Anything less would be relegation form. Quote me on this; we will not take another point during Aitken’s reign.

8 hours ago, FifeSons said:

I’d be happy if we just stay up this season.

That was my main hope as  soon as we lost the play-off final. Just to stay here. Anything else would be a bonus. It's too easy to go on a downward slide, too hard to get out of. It has happened to us before. Our longest ever winless run lasted longer than Brechin's has.

9 minutes ago, rockson said:

That was my main hope as  soon as we lost the play-off final. Just to stay here. Anything else would be a bonus. It's too easy to go on a downward slide, too hard to get out of. It has happened to us before. Our longest ever winless run lasted longer than Brechin's has.

Exactly. It’s  happened to bigger clubs than us, too. Anyone who dismisses it could happen is just arrogant.

That probably is the 'dreaded vote of confidence'. It reads like Steele is prepared to accept that the injury situation is hurting us, so long as the form picks up as the crisis eases over the next couple of weeks. Which seems fair enough. Nice to have him keep us updated too - the communication is a big change from the likes of Les Hope.

I had a wee look back in time earlier. Jim Chapman's last game was October 23 (P12 W1 D1 L10) and Alan Adamson's was on October 20 (P12 W1 D2 L9). I wouldn't expect any movement until about that time - unless we take some absolute hammerings.

1 minute ago, rockson said:

I'll be honest and say that being in a relegation scrap this year didn't even cross my mind. Our budget has been cut, but it's still healthy for the league and finishing outwith the playoffs would be an underachievement. To spend another season scrabbling for 1-0 wins every two months would be totally unacceptable - and I'm sure that Stevie would not only know that, but would agree with it.

If we don't finish in the playoffs this year then prize money and gate money will drop next year again. This is our best chance to get back up, or at the very least create a positive atmosphere around the place where people enjoy coming to watch us play again.

4 hours ago, TheFarPost said:

Spot on.

Also, this on the trust site: https://sonstrust.wordpress.com/2018/09/07/club-engages-fans-concerns/

I know it's been horrible, but I really do think we can turn this round...

Aitken is done. Finished.

I understand why he hasn’t been booted yet, but it’s only delaying the inevitable. He isn’t turning it around. 

19 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

I understand why he hasn’t been booted yet, but it’s only delaying the inevitable. He isn’t turning it around. 

You’re a right ray of sunshine. If the plays exhibit the kind of optimism and fighting spirit you’re displaying here then that regelation scrap you seem to think we’re destined for may become a reality. 

Your comment in relation to the title being over, five games in, i would hope was tongue in cheek. Otherwise it’s probably best if you take a rest from football for a while.

I’d echo the comments from others in relation to the communication coming from the club. Thinks may be disappointing on the field but off it we appear to be getting things right. Long way to go but it’s an approach from our new chairman that should be applauded.

Id also agree with Ross Forbes. We’re unlikely to see any movement on the management front before the end of the first quarter. That’s the right time to assess where we are. By which time our injury nightmare will hopefully have cleared and the time will have had time to gel.

If Aitken can get the team looking solid at the back whilst playing entertaining football going forward then I believe there is time to turn it round.

But that is a big if, because we have been conditioned to expect boring negative football it's hard to see where it's coming from.

1 minute ago, Jordo1872 said:

You’re a right ray of sunshine. If the plays exhibit the kind of optimism and fighting spirit you’re displaying here then that regelation scrap you seem to think we’re destined for may become a reality. 

Your comment in relation to the title being over, five games in, i would hope was tongue in cheek. Otherwise it’s probably best if you take a rest from football for a while.

I’d echo the comments from others in relation to the communication coming from the club. Thinks may be disappointing on the field but off it we appear to be getting things right. Long way to go but it’s an approach from our new chairman that should be applauded.

Id also agree with Ross Forbes. We’re unlikely to see any movement on the management front before the end of the first quarter. That’s the right time to assess where we are. By which time our injury nightmare will hopefully have cleared and the time will have had time to gel.

You genuinely think we can still win the title? I’d suggest it’s you that takes a break if you think that.

I never thought we could win it, but now it’s 100% over. Red dot me all you want, but face the facts. We are more likely to go down than win the title. 

3 minutes ago, albundy said:

If Aitken can get the team looking solid at the back whilst playing entertaining football going forward then I believe there is time to turn it round.

But that is a big if, because we have been conditioned to expect boring negative football it's hard to see where it's coming from.

Honestly, how many points do you think we’ll take from the next five games?  Give me an exact number, you too @Jordo1872

Aitken will be gone by the time we’ve played ten games. Quote me on it if I’m wrong.

Anyone who thinks Montrose will be an easy three points, think again. Their away record is superb; if they can beat Airdrie, they can certainly beat us.

Even Aitken’s Army wouldn’t still think we could win the title. That’s the level of insanity we’re looking at. 

Raith, for all they were lambasted, finished 15 points ahead of any part-time team last season. The title is, and was never, on. Deal with it.

Archived